Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about buying a TPMS Relearn Tool, off eBay. Has anyone had experience with any of these? I have heard that there are real ones and cheap knock offs. How to tell the difference, or are they equally as good? I see a lot of the eBay listings say “Unbranded”. Is this bad? Any help would be appreciated. Most say for 315 and 433 MHz sensors. Does anyone know what the 2nd generation TPMS specs. are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found this relearn tool on Amazon: VXDAS EL50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle. I've been reading up on it and for the most part the reviews are good. Seems pretty basic and straight forward. This is probably what I'll be purchasing. Unless someone else on this thread has a better recommendation. Hope this helps.

It is all new to me, so I am learning as I go. My last vehicle was a Tacoma SR5 2014 and there was no need for a relearn tool. Funny how the newer vehicles offer this and that which pretty much equates to greater out of pocket expense while doing the simplest things like rotating your tires...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been using one of these for 3 years on a '16 Trax, and our two '18 Equinoxs without any problems. I believe they are knockoffs of a Kent-Moore tool, GM's "special tool" supplier.
Howard

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found this relearn tool on Amazon: VXDAS EL50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle. I've been reading up on it and for the most part the reviews are good. Seems pretty basic and straight forward. This is probably what I'll be purchasing. Unless someone else on this thread has a better recommendation. Hope this helps.

It is all new to me, so I am learning as I go. My last vehicle was a Tacoma SR5 2014 and there was no need for a relearn tool. Funny how the newer vehicles offer this and that which pretty much equates to greater out of pocket expense while doing the simplest things like rotating your tires...
Bought this one for my '16 Canyon, so far works just fine. Been pleased with it. Just hold it to the sidewall of the tire as the directions say and works fine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have the Kent version, got it from my dealer. I go through the summer/winter tire swap so it was worth while buying the tool.
That being said, I find the tpms system rather slow. I had a flat and it didn't register until after I changed the tire. (I also got a notice text from onstar about the low pressure afterwards)

·
Registered
276 Posts
here's the one I got from Amazon

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I find the tpms system rather slow.
I too bought a $14 "orange" EL-50448 clone off Bezozon or Fleabay. Don't remember.
It IS slow. Especially at the rear wheels. Almost gave up on it. I found I have to hold against the sidewalk, pointing the tip at the stem and hold the button until I get that confirmation honk.
so yes, I would recommend buying one, but don't spend more thinking you're getting higher quality.
The cheap works fine. If you want to spend a few hundred, you can find readers that will tell you air temp, battery level, all kinds of stuff, and works much faster.

Having said all that, I think the old air bleed method still works in learn mode because the asme signal is sent to trigger the low air warning you get. You just have to bleed 20 psi which is a loooooong time out of a Schrader valve. You would want to use a core tool.

1563136730778.png

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I too bought a $14 "orange" EL-50448 clone off Bezozon or Fleabay. Don't remember.
It IS slow. Especially at the rear wheels. Almost gave up on it. I found I have to hold against the sidewalk, pointing the tip at the stem and hold the button until I get that confirmation honk.
so yes, I would recommend buying one, but don't spend more thinking you're getting higher quality.
The cheap works fine. If you want to spend a few hundred, you can find readers that will tell you air temp, battery level, all kinds of stuff, and works much faster.

Having said all that, I think the old air bleed method still works in learn mode because the asme signal is sent to trigger the low air warning you get. You just have to bleed 20 psi which is a loooooong time out of a Schrader valve. You would want to use a core tool.
View attachment 378021
View attachment 378021
They discontinued the bleed trigger method begining in 2012.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just to be clear, I don't find the tool slow (yes the position for the read is fussy)
I meant the TPMS system, what you see on the DIC. The "real" pressure and what you see on the DIC is slow. You can have a flat and it will report as normal. I don't know how often the system checks the pressure and reports it back on the DIC.
Force of habit, I usually scroll through all my menus of my DIC within 10 minutes of start up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
Arthur Kill
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing