Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about buying a TPMS Relearn Tool, off eBay. Has anyone had experience with any of these? I have heard that there are real ones and cheap knock offs. How to tell the difference, or are they equally as good? I see a lot of the eBay listings say “Unbranded”. Is this bad? Any help would be appreciated. Most say for 315 and 433 MHz sensors. Does anyone know what the 2nd generation TPMS specs. are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found this relearn tool on Amazon: VXDAS EL50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle. I've been reading up on it and for the most part the reviews are good. Seems pretty basic and straight forward. This is probably what I'll be purchasing. Unless someone else on this thread has a better recommendation. Hope this helps.

It is all new to me, so I am learning as I go. My last vehicle was a Tacoma SR5 2014 and there was no need for a relearn tool. Funny how the newer vehicles offer this and that which pretty much equates to greater out of pocket expense while doing the simplest things like rotating your tires...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been using one of these for 3 years on a '16 Trax, and our two '18 Equinoxs without any problems. I believe they are knockoffs of a Kent-Moore tool, GM's "special tool" supplier.
Howard

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found this relearn tool on Amazon: VXDAS EL50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Relearn Reset Activation Tool OEC-T5 for GM Series Vehicle. I've been reading up on it and for the most part the reviews are good. Seems pretty basic and straight forward. This is probably what I'll be purchasing. Unless someone else on this thread has a better recommendation. Hope this helps.

It is all new to me, so I am learning as I go. My last vehicle was a Tacoma SR5 2014 and there was no need for a relearn tool. Funny how the newer vehicles offer this and that which pretty much equates to greater out of pocket expense while doing the simplest things like rotating your tires...
Bought this one for my '16 Canyon, so far works just fine. Been pleased with it. Just hold it to the sidewall of the tire as the directions say and works fine.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have the Kent version, got it from my dealer. I go through the summer/winter tire swap so it was worth while buying the tool.
That being said, I find the tpms system rather slow. I had a flat and it didn't register until after I changed the tire. (I also got a notice text from onstar about the low pressure afterwards)

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I find the tpms system rather slow.
I too bought a $14 "orange" EL-50448 clone off Bezozon or Fleabay. Don't remember.
It IS slow. Especially at the rear wheels. Almost gave up on it. I found I have to hold against the sidewalk, pointing the tip at the stem and hold the button until I get that confirmation honk.
so yes, I would recommend buying one, but don't spend more thinking you're getting higher quality.
The cheap works fine. If you want to spend a few hundred, you can find readers that will tell you air temp, battery level, all kinds of stuff, and works much faster.

Having said all that, I think the old air bleed method still works in learn mode because the asme signal is sent to trigger the low air warning you get. You just have to bleed 20 psi which is a loooooong time out of a Schrader valve. You would want to use a core tool.

1563136730778.png

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I too bought a $14 "orange" EL-50448 clone off Bezozon or Fleabay. Don't remember.
It IS slow. Especially at the rear wheels. Almost gave up on it. I found I have to hold against the sidewalk, pointing the tip at the stem and hold the button until I get that confirmation honk.
so yes, I would recommend buying one, but don't spend more thinking you're getting higher quality.
The cheap works fine. If you want to spend a few hundred, you can find readers that will tell you air temp, battery level, all kinds of stuff, and works much faster.

Having said all that, I think the old air bleed method still works in learn mode because the asme signal is sent to trigger the low air warning you get. You just have to bleed 20 psi which is a loooooong time out of a Schrader valve. You would want to use a core tool.
View attachment 378021
View attachment 378021
They discontinued the bleed trigger method begining in 2012.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just to be clear, I don't find the tool slow (yes the position for the read is fussy)
I meant the TPMS system, what you see on the DIC. The "real" pressure and what you see on the DIC is slow. You can have a flat and it will report as normal. I don't know how often the system checks the pressure and reports it back on the DIC.
Force of habit, I usually scroll through all my menus of my DIC within 10 minutes of start up

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got the tpms relearn tool on amazon from post #2. So going to new factory type sensors is fine with just a regular relearn? I got some wheels from a Canyon that came with sensors and I was just going to sell my factory wheels with the sensors in them. Anyway to test if these sensors are good as well before I install them?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I got the tpms relearn tool on amazon from post #2. So going to new factory type sensors is fine with just a regular relearn? I got some wheels from a Canyon that came with sensors and I was just going to sell my factory wheels with the sensors in them. Anyway to test if these sensors are good as well before I install them?
If you want to be double sure, set the truck in TPMS learn mode, and redo your existing tires to test if your unit works (you'll hear the confirmation honk at each tire)
if you now know the unit works, do the new rims and sensors (they don't have to be mounted).. if you still get the confirmation honk.. you have a good unit and good sensors..
Now you can swap tires once and know all is good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want to be double sure, set the truck in TPMS learn mode, and redo your existing tires to test if your unit works (you'll hear the confirmation honk at each tire)
if you now know the unit works, do the new rims and sensors (they don't have to be mounted).. if you still get the confirmation honk.. you have a good unit and good sensors..
Now you can swap tires once and know all is good.
Thanks for the info.

I did take the sensors to tire discounters and they checked the batteries. All were good.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I swap tires/rims between Summer and Winter, so I get to use the unit twice a year (and each time I still have to look at the manual to get into learn mode)
Eventually the new Canadian GMC will have a summer/winter mode for the TPMS and remember all 8 sensors. (I can dream anyway)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Just thinking about buying a TPMS Relearn Tool, off eBay. Has anyone had experience with any of these? I have heard that there are real ones and cheap knock offs. How to tell the difference, or are they equally as good? I see a lot of the eBay listings say “Unbranded”. Is this bad? Any help would be appreciated. Most say for 315 and 433 MHz sensors. Does anyone know what the 2nd generation TPMS specs. are.
I don't know anything about the frequency or any specs but....

I got a super cheap one too, it's orange and cost like 12 bucks, that's all I know. It works great.

This is the description: EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool TPMS Reset

·
Registered
359 Posts

I bought that one of ebay and it has worked perfectly since day one, no complaints.
(y)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't think there is TPMS for the spare, but as for rotating tires, you need the tool to properly relocate the tire position otherwise if you get a low tire warning for lets say the right front and you moved the tire to the right rear you would be looking at the wrong tire unless you remember where you moved the tires from their original position that the TPMS was last set at. Doing the relearn just saves a lot of confusion and makes keeping the tire position easy. The tool is cheap enough to buy, the first one I bought was a different brand, didn't work, but for the less than 20 cost I just wrote it off and bought the one I have now which is the one listed in above posts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts