Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I pull a 2020 Lance 1985 with my '18 Z71 V6 SBCC. I got it with OEM tow package, includes the brake controller and locking rear diff. I tow in M4 or M5, rarely higher unless the road is flat with a tailwind, but the motor is happier at the higher RPMs. I also use the Andersen W/D Hitch with 4-5 threads showing. Much lighter and quieter than the torsion bars and easier to set up. With full water, 2 6V AGM batteries, and 2 bottles of propane the truck sits pretty much level. After adding groceries, beverages, and firewood it pushes it down a bit but not more than an inch or so.
Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have the Style 1 Mirrors? If so, do they have a defroster in them? I see a defroster logo on the main mirror. Do not know if the factory Mirrors had it.
The Boost mirrors are heated. The mirrors that came on the 2016 AT I had when I ordered them did not, but the wiring to the mirror was complete for a heated mirror so installing them provided me that functionality. I had the style 1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
They are awesome, really enjoying mine!
Just installed the Boost mirrors on my truck 2017 GMC Canyon. Great mirrors, however there seems to be a blind spot on passenger side when car is directly to the rear. Anyone else have this issue and if so, a solution

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
here is 24 pages of towing and towing info, ya have to sift thru what is correct and what is BS

oh and welcome to the forum, post up a couple pictures of your truck and trailer when you get it
Will do... Trailer is scheduled to be in Tucson on June 16th.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Just installed the Boost mirrors on my truck 2017 GMC Canyon. Great mirrors, however there seems to be a blind spot on passenger side when car is directly to the rear. Anyone else have this issue and if so, a solution
Adjusting the mirrors does take some work on the right side. For a time I reversed the mirrors such that the main mirror checked the blind spot and the convex (concave?) mirror did the rest. But after a time I gave up on that and was able to get them adjusted properly.

On the topic of blind spots, does anyone know by both the Toyota and Colorado/Canyon have the bottom of the rear door window slope up at the back? It seems to be totally for style as near as I can tell, but it's a style choice that reduces visibility.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Ford Ranger does it too, along with the europe Volkswagon truck..and Nissan Frontier,

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The Boost mirrors should be basically the same as my Clearview tow mirrors and just take some adjustment. I have zero blind spots, I can see vehicles in the mirrors and when they leave the mirrors the vehicles are beside me and visible through the window. Also no problems with vehicles to the rear sides or directly to the rear. To the rear and in neighboring lanes I can see them in the mirrors for however much road is visible. For vehicles directly to the rear the tow mirrors aren't for that, that's what the rear-view mirror is for. ;)

I added these small 2" blind sport mirrors to the top outer corner of both mirrors. I have pretty much full coverage with these added.

View attachment 391851
You must be running the stock mirrors and not the Boost or Clearview tow mirrors which make those unnecessary when they're properly adjusted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Boost mirrors should be basically the same as my Clearview tow mirrors and just take some adjustment. I have zero blind spots, I can see vehicles in the mirrors and when they leave the mirrors the vehicles are beside me and visible through the window. Also no problems with vehicles to the rear sides or directly to the rear. To the rear and in neighboring lanes I can see them in the mirrors for however much road is visible. For vehicles directly to the rear the tow mirrors aren't for that, that's what the rear-view mirror is for. ;)

You must be running the stock mirrors and not the Boost or Clearview tow mirrors which make those unnecessary when they're properly adjusted.
No, I am using the Boost mirrors. I have the mirrors adjusted to my preference, and I find these a good addition. YMMV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I towed a 5000 lb trailer for 3 years with my 2016 Colorado (v6) and had zero issues -- even going through mountain passes. Steep slopes will be a little bit slow, but otherwise it handles the load just fine. (With all my gear inside I'm probably close to 5800 lb). I'm looking forward to using my new 2020 Canyon now).

Hitch: Anderson hitch should be the only hitch you look at. A great hitch and quick and easy to connect and disconnect.
Mirrors: I just went with clip on mirrors. I didn't think I'd like using them, but now I wouldn't use anything else. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ratchet-lock-universal-towing-mirror-0362578p.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are in the market to purchase a Lance 2019 1985 TT with a towing weight of 4400lb. We have a 2017 GMC Canyon V6 with towing package. Would like opinions of experienced TravelT'ers about towing that amount of weight behind the truck. I understand that I would need to install a brake controller and anti-sway bar on hitch. Will be first time towing other than popup tents and uhauls, not sure if truck is capable of handling the load.... Thanks Robb
I just had my first adventure with ~4,000lb travel trailer. Had brake controller added and have Blue Ox hitch setup. Getting out of town was no problem, truck pulled fine. On the highway it was different story. I drove with Tow Haul on, and the truck worked very hard for most of the journey, even on the flats. I was surprised at how high the revs (over 3,000) stayed when driving over 90Km/h(~55mph). So weight isn't the issue, its the wind drag i think at higher speeds. The thing sucked an incredible amount of fuel for a short journey. Based on some other threads, using tow haul might have been the problem and it sounds others have had better experience towing than I have thus far. I have some experimenting to do on the next journey.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I just had my first adventure with ~4,000lb travel trailer. Had brake controller added and have Blue Ox hitch setup. Getting out of town was no problem, truck pulled fine. On the highway it was different story. I drove with Tow Haul on, and the truck worked very hard for most of the journey, even on the flats. I was surprised at how high the revs (over 3,000) stayed when driving over 90Km/h(~55mph). So weight isn't the issue, its the wind drag i think at higher speeds. The thing sucked an incredible amount of fuel for a short journey. Based on some other threads, using tow haul might have been the problem and it sounds others have had better experience towing than I have thus far. I have some experimenting to do on the next journey.
Yes, wind resistance is a huge factor, and practically the only factor once you get moving on the level. And yes you may need to experiment with tow/haul. I'm still in the experimenting stage myself, but with the diesel I tend to turn tow/haul off at steady freeway speeds. And FWIW, when I rented Ford based gasoline Class C motorhomes I would leave it off almost all the time even though those defaulted to two/haul on every time you turned on the vehicle!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I just realized what I do for another reason might help you with this if you still cannot get this adjusted.

I bought these blind spot mirrors for the original mirrors to help on the right side. They came two to a pack, so I still had one left. I installed it at the bottom right of my top right mirror so I could see the side line of the road next to the truck. I can't do that with the bottom mirror due to the inside trim blocking part of that mirror.

·
Registered
2020 Z71 4x4 ECLB Trail Runner
26 Posts
I'm not sure how much those limit turning, but if I had to buy again it would be the Andersen hitch setup, which uses horizontal chains for tension and has the entire head unit turn with friction control to limit sway. One advantage of that setup is no grease!

I agree on the camera, and find it more useful for driving than backing (but then I have a wife to yell at me when backing if I'm going to do something stupid!).

I bought the TPMS sensors, but may take them off before my first trip using them. Some warn that their weight can damage the tire stems. I have a tandem axle trailer and am thinking maybe it's just best to check pressures each time before towing.
I had a valve stem fail on a motorcycle several years ago using the screw on TPMS sensors. I would only run those with steel or aluminum stems now, which is probably currently recommended. It was exciting losing a rear valve stem at 85mph cranked over in a curve. At least it wasn’t the front wheel.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts