Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the market to purchase a Lance 2019 1985 TT with a towing weight of 4400lb. We have a 2017 GMC Canyon V6 with towing package. Would like opinions of experienced TravelT'ers about towing that amount of weight behind the truck. I understand that I would need to install a brake controller and anti-sway bar on hitch. Will be first time towing other than popup tents and uhauls, not sure if truck is capable of handling the load.... Thanks Robb

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Towing 4,500+ lbs with a 2016 V6 6 speed transmission, very capable. I tow in M5, in your case with the 8 speed, try M7 or if yours has L mode, L7. Keeps it out of overdrive and pulls much better, little affect on gas mileage. With Tow/Haul On. Will need to add the brake controller for sure, and a WD Hitch with Sway Control is recommended.

Reactions: Dmross11

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Reactions: White016 and C21964

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
here is 24 pages of towing and towing info, ya have to sift thru what is correct and what is BS

oh and welcome to the forum, post up a couple pictures of your truck and trailer when you get it

·
Registered
105 Posts
No problem at those weights. We tow an Aspen Trail 1850 (Approx 4500 lbs.) The truck is well-suited for that weight.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
We tow a similar weight Airstream (with WD) tows very nicely. On the high altitude steep mountain grades in Colorado we could maintain speed (55mph +) but the engine was turning 4500 rpm + which is actually OK since this DOHC motor is just fine running at high rpm. All that said I did install a Mallett Supercharger which will help a lot at higher altitudes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just about to order Lance 1985 model (4300 lb.) from factory and with options the weight of the trailer comes in a little over 4800 lb. Anyone know what the average weight that 2 people will stow on trailer for a 4-5 day trip. We are new to this and are looking for advice on experienced campers. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Just about to order Lance 1985 model (4300 lb.) from factory and with options the weight of the trailer comes in a little over 4800 lb. Anyone know what the average weight that 2 people will stow on trailer for a 4-5 day trip. We are new to this and are looking for advice on experienced campers. Thanks...
The heaviest adds are the propane tanks when full and fresh water if you are boondocking. If there is a chance you won't be able to dump your grey water and/or black tanks, then they can also add considerable weight. Bedding, clothes, food, and kitchen stuff really doesn't add a whole lot to trailer in comparison, and some can go in your TV.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I weighed my trailer during a one day trip, and with two batteries, two propane tanks, a small amount of water and our various stuff inside the trailer barely weighed more than its factory weight--but that was due to the trailer being hooked up via a weigh distributing hitch. The tongue weight alone was about 450, so I figure the stuff listed above probably weighed at least that much, and more.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
252 Posts
Torsion bars are always a good thing.

Congrats and happy camping :)

Torsion bars that slide, I like better than the sets that have chains on the ends of the bars, which limits turning.

Best set i have seen, but have not seen in awhile is a set my dad has used for 30 years that on the end of the arm there was a small saddle, and it made pulling anything straight, after trying 1 time we changed everything out to that setup.

I looked for some more like that acouple weeks ago but I could not find anymore :(

But with a good set of torsion bars and a brake controller (will not take long to get controller adjusted to match your truck braking, for more aggressive or less aggressive activation) pulling and stopping should not be a problem, just don't use high gear towing with a automatic, builds up more heat in the transmission.

And if you want there is adding external tpms sensors that replace the valve stems caps, and wireless backup cameras, all depends on how much you want to go.

One thing I like about a good wide angle camera and monitor, i leave on when driving and in traffic i can see exactly where the bumper of car is at, in lane i am merging into.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
An awesome mod I just made is the Boost Auto Parts Tow Mirrors, now I can finally see around my trailer after using the clip on tow mirrors for 4 years. Best $360 I have ever spent.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Torsion bars are always a good thing.

. . ..

Torsion bars that slide, I like better than the sets that have chains on the ends of the bars, which limits turning.
I'm not sure how much those limit turning, but if I had to buy again it would be the Andersen hitch setup, which uses horizontal chains for tension and has the entire head unit turn with friction control to limit sway. One advantage of that setup is no grease!

And if you want there is adding external tpms sensors that replace the valve stems caps, and wireless backup cameras, all depends on how much you want to go.

One thing I like about a good wide angle camera and monitor, i leave on when driving and in traffic i can see exactly where the bumper of car is at, in lane i am merging into.
I agree on the camera, and find it more useful for driving than backing (but then I have a wife to yell at me when backing if I'm going to do something stupid!).

I bought the TPMS sensors, but may take them off before my first trip using them. Some warn that their weight can damage the tire stems. I have a tandem axle trailer and am thinking maybe it's just best to check pressures each time before towing.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
252 Posts
Never tried the full chains that the chains pivot under the ball.

I was mentioning the long bars that have short chains that you pull up, that I wasn't a fan of.

Some bars hang lower than others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I pull a 2020 Lance 1985 with my '18 Z71 V6 SBCC. I got it with OEM tow package, includes the brake controller and locking rear diff. I tow in M4 or M5, rarely higher unless the road is flat with a tailwind, but the motor is happier at the higher RPMs. I also use the Andersen W/D Hitch with 4-5 threads showing. Much lighter and quieter than the torsion bars and easier to set up. With full water, 2 6V AGM batteries, and 2 bottles of propane the truck sits pretty much level. After adding groceries, beverages, and firewood it pushes it down a bit but not more than an inch or so.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I've had my Boost mirrors for about a year and still really enjoy them even for normal driving. The only downside is they are a bit hard to walk around in the garage.
Do you have the Style 1 Mirrors? If so, do they have a defroster in them? I see a defroster logo on the main mirror. Do not know if the factory Mirrors had it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts