Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We i have to say i was a little hesitant to pull this car with my truck. I put 2 bikes on a trailer and it struggled to get to highway speeds and wouldn't maintain speed for crap. Well it must have been the trailer because i just got home from bringing my project civic back and the truck did great. I think the total load should have been somewhere around 3500lbs and the trailer didnt have any brakes. The I5 had plenty of power to cruise along at 65 with no trailer swaying and no struggling. I downshifted to 3rd to pull up the 2 bigger hills on the interstate, but other than that i left it in overdrive! Truck never fails to impress me.

Bryan

PIC

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's sweet... I5 really pulling its weight.
My advice is that you dont use overdrive during towing, unless your a transmission expert.

·
Registered
557 Posts
1st off. we have no OD. settled in another thread. D is just D 4th gear. OD is usually 5th. but that's beside the point. lol sorry. the issues you had w/ the other trailer could have just been weight placement. depending on how the load was distributed on the trailer it could've thrown you all off.

·
Registered
558 Posts
sorry but you are wrong man. D is Overdrive.^

it was settled that our 4 speed autos have OD.
http://www.700r4l60e.com/transmission_gm.html

4L60E - Introduced in 1993, the 4L60E means, 4 forward speeds, L = longitudily mounted (rear wheel drive), 60 is the strength rating, E = electronically computer controlled.

Gear ratios on these units were 3.06 1st gear, 1.63 2nd gear, 1.00 3rd gear, .070 4th gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HowNowBrownCow, is the definition of overdrive then a gear ratio that can be expressed as a number less that 1.00, a ratio where the output speed of the transmission is greater than the input?

So then with its 0.70 ratio, my 4L60E-equipped Canyon's 4th gear is her overdrive gear?

Cool, I did not know how that worked until now!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Georgiaz71 said:
1st off. we have no OD. settled in another thread. D is just D 4th gear. OD is usually 5th. but that's beside the point. lol sorry. the issues you had w/ the other trailer could have just been weight placement. depending on how the load was distributed on the trailer it could've thrown you all off.

Ah... youth. It even states in the owners manual that 4th is OD.

·
Registered
558 Posts
yes anything with a gear ratio lower than 1.00 is considered OD. i think its funny that someone would think a 4 speed auto trans would not have OD. lol
older 3 speed transmissions didnt have OD, they were less fuel efficient, but usually were more durable due to less moving parts and less shifting.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Either way, yes the I5 can def. pull its own weight with no problems.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I would of pulled that with out even thing about it wish I could pull some bigger load than just a 600lb atv :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
rangerbob said:
Georgiaz71 said:

Ah... youth. It even states in the owners manual that 4th is OD.

lol..owned

·
Registered
557 Posts
ok i withdraw my statement. i went back and checked and realized that there were multiple pages to the article and i just skimmed through and realized i didn't read the whole thing. my bad.

and NO sir yellow rider....I WAS NOT OWNED! i was PWNED! lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's what I pull... with the quad on the deck and the water tank full, it's about 3600 lbs. The only time I have problems is long, steep grades in the Sierras. Could use some more power, and definitely more brakes even with the trailer brakes helping.

This is what it looks like opened up...

The truck works well for what it is.

Cheers

Jim P.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yeah, they do tow pretty well. I just bought a 6x12 enclosed single axel. Not sure of the exact wieght, but I had a ton of crap in it when I helped my buddy move. I could tell it was there, but it towed nicely. I had no problem keeping steady at the speed of traffic and braking wasn't bad either. I am happy with it. I also got 14.5+/- while doing it.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
If the road is flat enough and the truck stays in overdrive with the torque converter locked, I see no problem towing in overdrive.

Yay for partially hjacking other people's thread with my own pictures!

Gotta tow this thing in 2nd on the hwy. :|

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I towed an older Passat ( VR6 ) on a tow dolly from Frederick County, MD to Prince Georges County, MD ( about 45-50 miles. Even with the elevation changes ( Frederick is at about 300 feet, PG is at about 200 feet and there are peaks of about 650 feet in between ) going around 60 mph I got 17.1mpg.

I usually get about 17.0 unloaded. Guess I should drive slow for a tank and see what I get.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your transmission fluid looks like Hershey's syrup, DON'T drink it! ;)

But yes, our trucks have great power for what they are. I pull my trailer with 3 quads all the time.

(Ignore the crazy angle of my trailer. I was borrowing the hitch off of my K5 at the time. I since have the correct height on it.) :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts