Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had my first chance to tow my 23 Contender with my new V-6 2017 Z-71 CCLB. For those who don't know, the 23 Contender is a heavy offshore boat with a 127 gallon gas tank. I'm guessing the weight of my rig fully loaded plus trailer is 5-6000. Gas alone could be around 6-700 lbs. Ice, tackle, bait, etc... I was a little nervous to see how the truck would do since I downsized from my previous vehicle which was a Ford Excursion.

Almost every time I launch the boat I see someone having issues removing their boat. Most of the time they get stuck spinning their wheels due to loss of traction and needing help. So I find the ramp a good test. Also, the main reason I have 4WD.

FIRST-I love the backup camera. First time I have owned a vehicle with one. I frequently hook up the trailer by myself.
WOW. Did that make the hook up easy!!

SECOND-pulling the boat - the truck had no problem accelerating and felt very stable. Truck sat well and even with trailer attached. See photo. Tow haul mode definitely helped. I felt comfortable and safe driving. Plenty of stopping control.

THIRD- Boat ramp- I was debating putting the truck in 4wd. But I wanted to see how it did in 2wd first. I was expecting loss of traction, but it had no problem pulling to boat out. No loss of traction.. Plenty of power. I was impressed! On some low tide days When sitting in seaweed or slime I expect to use 4wd. But it was not needed today. l'd say the truck performed perfectly and exceeded my expectations. If anyone out there has or is planning to tow a similar boat...they should feel confident the Colorado can do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
What amazes me is how well the Colorado's handle and especially stop while towing heavy loads. Brakes are awesome.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Nice Boat!! We’re new to boating.....but have a much smaller Bass Tracker 175 which total probably only weighs a little over 3k lb. Nothing much to comment about the trucks capabilities!!

I will say...ALWAYS put the truck in 4WD when launching and retrieving. Granted - we’re just learning - but, I’ve watched enough videos online of people launching and retrieving AND too many videos of trailers literally pulling the truck into the water to disappear completely. It’s pretty scary ****....
Those videos were enough to make me put it in 4WD everytime!!!! LOL

Around here where we launch in rivers & lakes. Aside from every launch is completely different, the water levels change and the dynamics of the launch change. Some ramps are deep almost immediately while others ...the rear wheel will be in 6” of water. And this can change before and after a good rainfall. It’s crazy.... And sometimes, you can drive off the ramp pad (low water conditions).

No complaints with the truck at all. Although, we don’t necessarily need to use the tow/haul mode for 3k lbs. The tow/haul mode definately helps with power for passing and going up hills. Trucks been GREAT!! :). Higher revs when needed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
One word of advice to a launch newb. Use the parking brake, EVERY TIME! You cant rely upon a little pawl in the transmission to hold the truck and trailer on a slope. Don't be the guy in the YouTube video. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One word of advice to a launch newb. Use the parking brake, EVERY TIME! You cant rely upon a little pawl in the transmission to hold the truck and trailer on a slope. Don't be the guy in the YouTube video. :)
See photos below of a nice ford we saw submerged at my boat ramp a few years ago. Photos can not describe what a complete circus this was!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another tip, for those that launch their boat into November where temps can dip below freezing is to carry kitty litter or salt and a shovel in case you come back to the launch and find it iced over from all the boats that have been pulled out or it snowed.

Glad to hear the truck handled the load just fine. My 15' aluminum with a 40 is just a baby (maybe 1.2k lbs with trailer?) and i have the diesel so obviously no issues.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Another tip, for those that launch their boat into November where temps can dip below freezing is to carry kitty litter or salt and a shovel in case you come back to the launch and find it iced over from all the boats that have been pulled out or it snowed.

Glad to hear the truck handled the load just fine. My 15' aluminum with a 40 is just a baby (maybe 1.2k lbs with trailer?) and i have the diesel so obviously no issues.
And in cold weather don't undo the bow strap till half the trailer is in the water. Icy bunks can cause a premature launch.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I finally had my first chance to tow my 23 Contender with my new V-6 2017 Z-71 CCLB. For those who don't know, the 23 Contender is a heavy offshore boat with a 127 gallon gas tank. I'm guessing the weight of my rig fully loaded plus trailer is 5-6000. Gas alone could be around 6-700 lbs. Ice, tackle, bait, etc... I was a little nervous to see how the truck would do since I downsized from my previous vehicle which was a Ford Excursion.

Almost every time I launch the boat I see someone having issues removing their boat. Most of the time they get stuck spinning their wheels due to loss of traction and needing help. So I find the ramp a good test. Also, the main reason I have 4WD.

FIRST-I love the backup camera. First time I have owned a vehicle with one. I frequently hook up the trailer by myself.
WOW. Did that make the hook up easy!!

SECOND-pulling the boat - the truck had no problem accelerating and felt very stable. Truck sat well and even with trailer attached. See photo. Tow haul mode definitely helped. I felt comfortable and safe driving. Plenty of stopping control.

THIRD- Boat ramp- I was debating putting the truck in 4wd. But I wanted to see how it did in 2wd first. I was expecting loss of traction, but it had no problem pulling to boat out. No loss of traction.. Plenty of power. I was impressed! On some low tide days When sitting in seaweed or slime I expect to use 4wd. But it was not needed today. l'd say the truck performed perfectly and exceeded my expectations. If anyone out there has or is planning to tow a similar boat...they should feel confident the Colorado can do the job.
Nice setup..

Yes.... I'm completely satisfied with the towing capabilities of my twin also

Do you have airbags or any other suspension assist? you sit very level!

I tow about 5k with about 400 tongue weight. I got a little rear end sag so I added Airlifts

But I also have the weight of a shell and 2 swing boxes full of crap, maybe makes the difference

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Nice setup..

Yes.... I'm completely satisfied with the towing capabilities of my twin also

I tow about 5k with about 400 tongue weight. I got a little rear end sag so I added Airlifts

But I also have the weight of a shell and 2 swing boxes full of crap, maybe makes the difference
What is your opinion on your AirLifts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

No suspension assist. There is some sagging on the rear. Makes it look like a leveling kit was installed. Not bad. I rarely tow long distances. If I did, I might consider some air lifts. How would you rate your air lifts??

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have not pulled my boat yet. My rig is around 2000#.

When you tow, are you shifting into a lower gear and using the Tow Mode?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

2000# is nothing for our truck. Just put it in tow mode and you will be good to go. You might not even need tow mode at that weight. But I think I would use the tow mode. It changes the transmission programming. I'm not doing any manual shifting.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I like the Airlifts. they do the job without effort. added about a year ago

I opted for the Wireless Air which include the compressor and wireless remote, it's sweet just having to push a button for a programmed preset setting

I saw a few mixed reviews regarding the Wireless but mine has been flawless so far

I run 10# all the time and 35-40# when towing

I have a 1.25 level kit which also added to the sag appearance

highly recommended

·
Registered
395 Posts
I tow around 3,000 lb boat with my 2016 3.6 ccsb 4x4 no problem. Hardly even feel it back there. Haven't needed 4x4 at the ramp yet. Pulls just fine in 2wd on a wet concrete ramp. My previous vehicle was a 2008 Ford ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L and you definitely knew it was back there both in acceleration and braking.
I'm very happy with the performance and braking of this Colorado.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Our load (boat) is about 3,000lbs. The truck does fine without tow/haul mode. However, sometimes when you want to pass people or going up steep hills, the tow/haul mode helps a lot.

I like to use Tow/haul mode as much as I can....but sometimes during straight flat driving, the rpm’s are a bit excessive.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I tow around 3,000 lb boat with my 2016 3.6 ccsb 4x4 no problem. Hardly even feel it back there. Haven't needed 4x4 at the ramp yet. Pulls just fine in 2wd on a wet concrete ramp. My previous vehicle was a 2008 Ford ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L and you definitely knew it was back there both in acceleration and braking.
I'm very happy with the performance and braking of this Colorado.
It’s not a matter of engaging 4WD because you’re waiting for the opportunity to ‘need it’. .... If something goes horribly wrong at the ramp - you thought there was traction - but didn’t and the truck starts sliding backwards and you don’t have time to engage it.....

Here....I’ll leave this here for you....

·
Registered
395 Posts
It’s not a matter of engaging 4WD because you’re waiting for the opportunity to ‘need it’. .... If something goes horribly wrong at the ramp - you thought there was traction - but didn’t and the truck starts sliding backwards and you don’t have time to engage it.....

Here....I’ll leave this here for you....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O40K2FluTUA
Ah!that's a very good point! All of a sudden I feel like a dummy! You can lose traction and your brakes might not hold the truck. No time to reach the 4x4 switch and uh oh...the perfect scenario for disaster! Now I can see how someone's whole rig can end up in the drink.
OK, my new thing now...always put it in 4x4 when on the ramp.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Ah!that's a very good point! All of a sudden I feel like a dummy! You can lose traction and your brakes might not hold the truck. No time to reach the 4x4 switch and uh oh...the perfect scenario for disaster! Now I can see how someone's whole rig can end up in the drink.
OK, my new thing now...always put it in 4x4 when on the ramp.
In our area, the conditions can vary. Sometimes your back tires can be 3 feet from the water line, while other areas......the back tires are 6” in the water.

Actually, one day while retrieving - I remember disengaging the ebrake and taking my foot off the brake to put my foot on the gas (a second?) and the truck started rolling backwards. It kinda shocked me for a second!! LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.