Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
om there is a hole in the back bumper so for all of us who didint buy the trailer hitch option can anyone tell us what is the towing capacity of the rear bumper i have the I4 but can someone tell us about the the I4 and I5
i will only use it to pull a small trailer to get some stuff.....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Spend a $100 - $150 and go down to UHaul and have them install a class 3 hitch. It will be a lot cheaper than screwing up your bumper.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you tow over a 1000 lbs you need trailer brakes installed on trailer. Really pissed me off that it was in manual and not on any brocure. Saleman had no clue either and I specifically asked about towing and even had the reciever hitch installed. If I could I would make GM buy truck back as I never would have purchased this POS.

There are things I liked when I bought it but the 1000 lb limit without brakes makes me so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Ranger never had any problems stopping my boat and Neither did my F-150. Their manul states that the trailer needs brakes when the state says they do.
For New Mexico that weeight is 3000 lbs. My total tow is 1960 Lbs with everything in boat and ready to go.

·
Registered
615 Posts
4CE said:
om there is a hole in the back bumper so for all of us who didint buy the trailer hitch option can anyone tell us what is the towing capacity of the rear bumper i have the I4 but can someone tell us about the the I4 and I5
i will only use it to pull a small trailer to get some stuff.....

If someone doesnt want the hitch and puts the ball on the bumper it should work for small trailers? Do I just need a 2 inch ball?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
OMG people.

Towing:

Our trucks will tow 4k pounds just fine without brakes on the hitch. I've towed 6500 pounds before without brakes and just had to take it easy when slowing.

The bumper is rated for only 2000 pounds with 200 pounds tongue weight. The hitch is rated for 4000 pounds with a 400 pounds tongue weight. This means that NO MORE THAN 10% of your trailer weight should be on the tongue. Make sure you trailer weight is within specs for the towing setup you have.

Ball sizing - this depends on the size of your trailer hitch. :roll: Some trailers are 1-7/8, some 2, some 2-5/16 ( heavier trailers ), and some pintle hitched. Go see what your trailer needs.

And MAKE SURE you get a ball that is rated for the weight you will be towing. I'll laugh at you when I hear that your ball broke because you were towing 4000 pounds with a ball rated for 3500 or less.

·
Registered
615 Posts
rangerbob said:
OMG people.

Towing:

Our trucks will tow 4k pounds just fine without brakes on the hitch. I've towed 6500 pounds before without brakes and just had to take it easy when slowing.

The bumper is rated for only 2000 pounds with 200 pounds tongue weight. The hitch is rated for 4000 pounds with a 400 pounds tongue weight. This means that NO MORE THAN 10% of your trailer weight should be on the tongue. Make sure you trailer weight is within specs for the towing setup you have.

Thanks Ranger bob
Ball sizing - this depends on the size of your trailer hitch. :roll: Some trailers are 1-7/8, some 2, some 2-5/16 ( heavier trailers ), and some pintle hitched. Go see what your trailer needs.

And MAKE SURE you get a ball that is rated for the weight you will be towing. I'll laugh at you when I hear that your ball broke because you were towing 4000 pounds with a ball rated for 3500 or less.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
craig6970 said:
rangerbob said:
OMG people.

Towing:

Thanks Ranger bob

·
Registered
615 Posts
rangerbob said:
craig6970 said:
rangerbob said:
OMG people.

Towing:

Thanks Ranger bob

I meant to say thanks Ranger bob

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I concur.

I've towed my extra car on a Uhaul dolly, 3800lbs total across country totaling 3000 miles. Uhaul is very conscious of safety (and lawsuits) so there's no way they would approve of that setup if it needed extra brakes.

If I pulled that on a regular basis, or towed a trailer all the time, I might get trailer brakes, but if I stay within our 4000lb limit, it's not required.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
No problem guys.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
No problem guys.

I installed a brake controller and 7 pin harness for towing with brakes. Problem is that I don't own a trailer - just borrow them so sometimes they are unbraked. But beggars can't be choosers so....

·
Registered
207 Posts
GM is just worried about lawsuits as well. Common sense should be fine when towing without brakes, my 6x12 only has Surge brakes that I am not 100% sure work properly, and I have towed between 1500 and 2000 pounds a few times with no problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So, How do you weigh the trailer/tongue? I don't think my bathroom scale would cut it. LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts