Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
This thread hits a sweet spot for me. I sold a 2016 Escalade with a 6.2 liter and bought a Canyon Denali with the V6. I love the truck and very much appreciate the size and maneuverability. I have a camper with a dry weight of 5,300 lbs. and a towing weight of about 6,000+ lbs. I was concerned about the Canyon and that load. Folks, these are tough trucks. With my Weigh Safe WDH the Canyon in tow haul mode it felt as capable as the Escalade. Not kidding! I have pulled the trailer about 30 miles on various roads including the interstate at 70. Watching the transmission temp (all good). It pulls really well. I may downsize to a dry weight of 4,000 - 4,500, but if I don't I think we will be fine. Watch the payload!! Can't emphasize that enough. If the payload is within specs and you use a WDH, all should be good. My thoughts. Good luck!

· Registered
27 Posts
2019 Colorado z71, towing a trailer about 5000 + - lbs, only tow it short routes, somewhat level roads 2 hrs max. If going to the white mountains, borrow a F-250 for that. If its gusty out, I feel its a
white knuckle ride on interstates with trucks. It will tow it, but like I said, I wouldnt take it up the mountains, it would kick the hell out of it.

· Registered
2022 AT4 CCSB Diesel
168 Posts
Get a good Weight Distribution Hitch, don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine. If you had a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you could whip around without any issues. With the Canyon/Colorado you are definitely going to feel the trailer back there and get blown around a bit the faster you drive but these trucks are amongst the class leaders for towing.

· Registered
27 Posts
Get a good Weight Distribution Hitch, don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine. If you had a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you could whip around without any issues. With the Canyon/Colorado you are definitely going to feel the trailer back there and get blown around a bit the faster you drive but these trucks are amongst the class leaders for towing.
I wholeheartedly agree, have the WDH and do tow it around 55 mph, never more than 60. But, like I said, If I was going to tow it for longer than say 150 mi, or 2.5 hrs, not for me. We're getting a 3/4 truck for that, although it will tow it, your drained by the time you get there, not a good time in my opinion. I equate it as towing a kite, and whichever way the wind blows...etc...

· Registered
15 Posts
I use my 2018 2.8 for towing a lot. I have pulled 8k+ in the Montana mountains with no problems getting 16-19mpg with an equipment trailer. Because of the wind resistance of an RV trailer, I get 10-13mpg towing a 5k RV trailer. After a 2k mile trip with the RV the rear end had to be replaced for shot bearings. The side wind loading makes controlling the load barely manageable with this size. All this leads me to say 5k max load for RV trailers is a good number and stay under 65mph with RV trailers. My two cents. Paul

· Registered
7,170 Posts
For those not aware, this is taking about the yet to be released 3rd gen trucks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
I will admit that with only 30 or so miles of towing my camper the jury is still out. I may conclude that a 6,000+ lb. camper is too much for the Canyon V6. Hence my look for a lighter camper alternative. I still go back to payload. At about 1,300 lbs. the Canyon is close with a 700 lb. hitch weight plus my wife, son, and I. Only about 200 lbs. left. Must watch it. I do understand the difference between tow rating and being able to handle the load and wind resistance. This is my second travel trailer in a similar weight class pulling with a 2001 Suburban, a Silverado, and the Escalade before the Canyon. My 2015 Silverado LTZ with the towing package was rated at 9,100 lbs. and the Escalade at 8,300 lbs. Having pulled this trailer with both of those trucks, towing anywhere near max rated amount would swamp either one. I hope I won't have to move up to a full-size pickup, as I really enjoy driving the Canyon. The Silverado was more of a chore. My thought at this point is towing deliberately and respectfully with the Canyon and not exceeding the payload are the keys. I had the Canyon in for service the other day and they gave me a High Country as a loaner. Not bad but getting back into the Canyon was refreshing.

· Registered
27 Posts
I will admit that with only 30 or so miles of towing my camper the jury is still out. I may conclude that a 6,000+ lb. camper is too much for the Canyon V6. Hence my look for a lighter camper alternative. I still go back to payload. At about 1,300 lbs. the Canyon is close with a 700 lb. hitch weight plus my wife, son, and I. Only about 200 lbs. left. Must watch it. I do understand the difference between tow rating and being able to handle the load and wind resistance. This is my second travel trailer in a similar weight class pulling with a 2001 Suburban, a Silverado, and the Escalade before the Canyon. My 2015 Silverado LTZ with the towing package was rated at 9,100 lbs. and the Escalade at 8,300 lbs. Having pulled this trailer with both of those trucks, towing anywhere near max rated amount would swamp either one. I hope I won't have to move up to a full-size pickup, as I really enjoy driving the Canyon. The Silverado was more of a chore. My thought at this point is towing deliberately and respectfully with the Canyon and not exceeding the payload are the keys. I had the Canyon in for service the other day and they gave me a High Country as a loaner. Not bad but getting back into the Canyon was refreshing.
And manuevering with the colorado/canyon in a campground is awesome as well...

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello, everyone. I'm considering buying the new Colorado and I wanted to know what people thought about towing a camper with it? I don't know if this is the best forum for that but I would be buying a third generation truck at this point. I have a Passport SL 189RB that I take on the road. It is 4900 lbs at it's lightest and 6500 lbs at it's heaviest. It's 23 ft long. It's tongue weight is 610lbs. The specs seem to show that the Colorado should have no trouble pulling this trailer at all...but I want to make sure because frankly the entire topic of what trucks can and cannot do still confuses me. My biggest issue is I don't think I can afford the leap to a 1/2 ton truck like a Silverado. Can anyone lend some advice?
hello there I have a 2018 denali 2.8 i tow from Fl To Mt an overall 27' northland bunk house dry its 5,500 definitely heavier with stuff. We cary very little water when traveling and stay at camp sights for hook up. steep hills in Mt i am in the slow truck lane. I get 11-12 mpg and have put on an aftermarket 36 gal fuel tank (best thing ever). I can go over 400 miles before fill up. usually travel 300+ then fill up. We have bought a new 30' overall north trail bunk house 6300lbs dry. Just came home from OH. Motor was fine, felt the truck being pushed around little more so Im looking into some firmer aftermarket Billstine shocks for little more stability. Still got 11-12 mpg but cruse control max at 62 little slower.

· Registered
5 Posts
hello there I have a 2018 denali 2.8 i tow from Fl To Mt an overall 27' northland bunk house dry its 5,500 definitely heavier with stuff. We cary very little water when traveling and stay at camp sights for hook up. steep hills in Mt i am in the slow truck lane. I get 11-12 mpg and have put on an aftermarket 36 gal fuel tank (best thing ever). I can go over 400 miles before fill up. usually travel 300+ then fill up. We have bought a new 30' overall north trail bunk house 6300lbs dry. Just came home from OH. Motor was fine, felt the truck being pushed around little more so Im looking into some firmer aftermarket Billstine shocks for little more stability. Still got 11-12 mpg but cruse control max at 62 little slower.
Your comments are reassuring. Your 2.8 is the towing champ for the Colorados and Canyons, but the V6 has surprising grunt higher in the rev range. It seems to get a second wind over 3,500 (VVT, is my guess). I expect to get lower mileage closer to 8-10. Gas mileage is largely frontal area and wind resistance with a camper. I would prefer the diesel, but in the used market when you find a very well treated (babied, actually) truck with a matching fiberglass cover in the right color and trim it is easy to go with the V6 if that is what it has. If I order a new one sometime down the road, it will be the diesel.

· Registered
7,170 Posts
@jwinter5361 there are no more diesels being produced.

Everyone, again, this thread is in the 3RD GEN SECTION and is asking about the 3RD GEN TRUCKS. Not the 2nd gen with the V6 or diesel.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts