Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can you just move the winch post (or whatever the part is called that holds the winch on the front of your trailer) back to lower the tongue weight a bit? I assume your boat is either an outboard or inboard/outboard with most of the weight in the back. Moving it back even 4" could make a difference in tongue weight. Also you might want to weigh the tongue with and without a full tank of fuel.
Yes, it has an outboard. I have about 1-1/2” I can move the boat back. But the hull is already about 2” off the bunks. That is the way the trailer came from the mfr, and the trailer is made for the boat. I’m thinking of installing a Drotto auto catch to the trailer that will move the boat back about 1” (or so it appears). When I load the bait with gear, most of it is above the axles with some of it forward.

I weighed the boat with a full tank. It is in the bottom under the cockpit but in front of the axles. I plan on adding a kicker outboard which will add about 100 lbs to the transom and lower the TW.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I weighed the boat with a full tank. It is in the bottom under the cockpit but in front of the axles. I plan on adding a kicker outboard which will add about 100 lbs to the transom and lower the TW.
You might want to invest in a tongue weight scale so you can do some experimenting. Tank 1/4 full, kicker motor on, boat back 1" then 2" (which I doubt would make a huge difference in anything but tongue weight). My understanding is with boats you can get close to 10% tongue weight, so that might help your sag a lot.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of air bags, but they would probably work better than the bumpers you installed, and since you can't use a WDH . . ..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, it has an outboard. I have about 1-1/2” I can move the boat back. But the hull is already about 2” off the bunks. That is the way the trailer came from the mfr, and the trailer is made for the boat. I’m thinking of installing a Drotto auto catch to the trailer that will move the boat back about 1” (or so it appears). When I load the bait with gear, most of it is above the axles with some of it forward.

A lot of trailers now you can actually slide the axle too. I know I can on mine. May not be bad to try. I keep my tounge a little light on mine because I sometimes have to move the trailer by hand and it helps to be able to lift the tongue.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A lot of trailers now you can actually slide the axle too. I know I can on mine. May not be bad to try. I keep my tongue a little light on mine because I sometimes have to move the trailer by hand and it helps to be able to lift the tongue.
I have torsion "axles" that are mounted to the crossbars welded to the frame. They can't be moved like standard axles. I'll get an accurate weight on Friday when I go back the lake. I'm making a bathroom scale setup with a couple of 2x4s and pipes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have torsion "axles" that are mounted to the crossbars welded to the frame. They can't be moved like standard axles. I'll get an accurate weight on Friday when I go back the lake. I'm making a bathroom scale setup with a couple of 2x4s and pipes.
Weird, the last torsion setup I messed with used an angle pad spread the width of the fender that attached with 4 Ubolts on each side. So you could still slide it back and forth. It was however a smaller trailer. (19 foot 3400lb carrying single) I imagine the welded is a better setup. And you said it was designed for the boat as well?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Weird, the last torsion setup I messed with used an angle pad spread the width of the fender that attached with 4 Ubolts on each side. So you could still slide it back and forth. It was however a smaller trailer. (19 foot 3400lb carrying single) I imagine the welded is a better setup. And you said it was designed for the boat as well?
Yes, 2018 Skeeter trailer made for an '18 MX. I can move the winch post back if needed but that will put more of the hull past the end of the bunks. I'm pretty sure I'm below max tongue weight for the truck (and the hitch now), and will verify that Friday. I may need to load it different for longer trips. I can pretty much put everything over the axles but then it all would be out in the open instead of in the storage compartments. Or load it all in the truck which necessitates moving it twice going and twice coming home (which is a pita after a long day). It tows fine either way.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts