Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
My mistake.....I looked at the Owner's Manual (page 250) and it actually said 10% - 15%, up 900 pounds. 500 pounds is up there for these trucks.....I can see pushing to 700, but 900 would be doing wheelies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Towing my dads birthday present to him. Did just fine towing from va to Pensacola fl. Checked in at 6200# flat. (Old school American steel lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Towing my dads birthday present to him. Did just fine towing from va to Pensacola fl. Checked in at 6200# flat. (Old school American steel lol)
Is that a 49'? When I was 16 my dad bought a 49' for us to restore, it was already in good shape, just never got finished. It was fun learning to drive a 3 on the tree.

Reactions: SigArms

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Just curious what you gas mileage was while towing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My '16 Z71 automatic has a manual mode you can shift into and control shifts by the +/- button on the side of the shifter.
I have that too, also a '16 Z71, but it doesn't prevent downshifting. My second day/leg of my trip was better, got used to the programming. Found as others said, feathering to find max throttle before down shifts. Still, I find I want to go deeper into the throttle in 3rd or 4th before it jumps to 2nd. I did use tow/haul the whole trip.

My 12 f150 would hold any gear. When towing, I could pick a gear that would put it near peak tq ~3500 rpm, go wot, and let it eat. I could make my shift points at 3000 and 4000 to keep it in power without making it scream.

Am pretty happy with the way it handled the trip, took the corners, (Fraser Canyon), and braking is pretty decent. Trailer stayed behind me, and for no weight distribution hitch, truck took the load quite well.

I wound up with 22 L/100km @ 95-100kph. 10.7 mpg ~60mph. Not too shabby IMO.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
...Trailer stayed behind me, and for no weight distribution hitch, truck took the load quite well.

Yeh, I really hate it when the trailer gets out front of the truck. Tends to make for a bad day. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
A proper balanced trailer for towing, is to have 10% to 12% of the total trailer weight (trailer + Cargo) on the tongue (nose heavy). The weight "Shift" during acceleration (+ and -).

Do not cheapen yourself, it might cost you dearly in the long haul.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Just curious what you gas mileage was while towing?
If I recall, I got 21mpg hand calc, over two tanks, in all stock trim. No tune or mods at all. Tire pressure was set at 40psi. Avg 72mph. On Cruze, tow/haul and exhaust brake activated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I towed a couple of my cars on my open car hauler, one from CT to KS and the other from KS to CT. About 4200-4500 pounds total. It all went smoothly, I use a safe weight trailer hitch that allows me to see what tongue weight is, moved the car back and forth on the trailer till I got about 450-500 pounds on the tongue. I have to say it did impress me, It did better then I had prepared myself for. The tow haul mode with exhaust brake is awesome. Locks it out of 6th gear so you run most the time in 5th, around 2000 rpm at about 65 and its smooth as butter. Torque for days, didn't even down shift on the grades on I-80, plus still plenty of passing power when needed. I swear sometimes I think it accelerates at the same rate empty as loaded. Cool feature with the tow mode is it will down shift for you when you apply the brakes. I had the trailer brake gain set to 6 where it felt comfortable, with about same about of brake effort as empty.

Only issue was the rough ride through NJ NY and CT or any construction zone for that matter. Any bumps and it pushes the truck around a lot. To be expected when your hauling almost as much weight as you are. Running 45 psi in the rear tires helped a lot with that. I averaged 17 mpg on the trip. With all that said though if I were doing this more then once a year or so, I'd probably opt for HD Diesel for towing needs. The weight of the tow vehicle itself plays such an important role in safe towing. All the gizmos, gagets or weight distipution systems combined couldn't make up for properly sizing the tow vehicle for the application.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
So I just arrived in Florida we left Virginia yesterday morning from Richmond and drove to Summerton SC. I didn't use tow haul mode in the morning and noticed that the trans would shift from 4-5 all the time. So after our lunchtime fill up I tried tow haul mode. I've had bad luck in the past. I've since added the trifecta tune. So after lunch I tried tow haul mode set my cruise at 65 mph and it was amazing. I ran in 4th gear 99% of the time I could get to fifth if I was drafting a big rig for a while. I would drop my cruise speed while going up hills so it would kick down to third and scream away at 4500rpm. It ran about 2900rpm most of the way. Today we went from summerton ac to Disney world fort wilderness camp ground. It towed just fine the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
So I just arrived in Florida we left Virginia yesterday morning from Richmond and drove to Summerton SC. I didn't use tow haul mode in the morning and noticed that the trans would shift from 4-5 all the time. So after our lunchtime fill up I tried tow haul mode. I've had bad luck in the past. I've since added the trifecta tune. So after lunch I tried tow haul mode set my cruise at 65 mph and it was amazing. I ran in 4th gear 99% of the time I could get to fifth if I was drafting a big rig for a while. I would drop my cruise speed while going up hills so it would kick down to third and scream away at 4500rpm. It ran about 2900rpm most of the way. Today we went from summerton ac to Disney world fort wilderness camp ground. It towed just fine the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has been my experience as well and if I may add that I run 92 octane and mine is still stock factory tuning.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’m new to towing in general. Picking up a new (very used) boat this next weekend if I can make a deal with the seller. Should be about 3100 pounds dry plus trailer so I’m thinking it’s going to be all in around 5000-5500 with trailer and wet.

I need advice. I have the Babymax, so power isn’t what I’m worried about, although I plan mostly to carry it from Denver up to Granby and Dillon which means lots of going up and down steep and winding roads and often quite a bit of wind.

It seems the two things I really need to start with are a WDH with anti-sway and a set of tow mirrors.

Do you folks have a recommendation on either? I’m looking at the Equalizer but have also seen good things about Andersen. I want to be able to remove it easily as I will probably tow the boat 5-8 times per year max.

Any suggestions or reviews would be helpful. Do the WDHs need to be professionally installed? First trip will be bringing the boat back from Dillon Colorado with the family in tow so want to make sure I get it right.

Sorry if there is another thread where this is already being discussed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all: Last weekend the head of my son's robotics team was pulling the team trailer back from a competition. He has a Tahoe. The trailer is a tandem-axle Stealth Elite. While towing he reported the drive home was very difficult with his Tahoe being difficult to drive. We weighed the trailer and it was 4700 lbs but he had over 900 lbs tongue weight!!! This makes sense as his Tahoe was squatting. I plan on towing this same trailer with my 2015 Canyon SLT CC. My truck has the towing package and I have installed a Redac brake controller. I have measured and purchased the correct drop drawbar and a 2 7/16 ball. Assuming I load the trailer properly with a tongue weight a more appropriate 500 lbs, should this be a safe set up? I ask because I have never towed anything weighing almost as much as, if not more than, the truck. My truck tows my 17 ft runabout with no problem, but it is 1/2 and weight. Any advise greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do it. I towed 6500lbs for 8 hours in 120 degrees weather through the mountains and it held up just fine and dandyyyyy. Inflate your rear tires to 45 psi and monitor your tire pressure and you'll be fine. Transmission will not overheat trust me. Just go into town mode and keep rpms high when climbing. I tortured my colorado and it passed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My boat, on a tandem axle trailer, is 4700-4800#. Tongue weight is a bit high at 620#, based on Cat Scale weights. This was just above the hitch rating I was using so I upgraded to a B&W hitch. The truck squats quite a bit but tows the boat well. I installed a set of taller axle bumpers to help with the sag, and they work quite well. I mostly tow 35 miles up and back to a local lake but have made runs down to KY and as far north as Eagle River, WI without any issues.

I would like to run a WDH but it is not recommended on a swing tongue trailer, or by my trailer mfr.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
My boat, on a tandem axle trailer, is 4700-4800#. Tongue weight is a bit high at 620#, based on Cat Scale weights. This was just above the hitch rating I was using so I upgraded to a B&W hitch. The truck squats quite a bit but tows the boat well. I installed a set of taller axle bumpers to help with the sag, and they work quite well. I mostly tow 35 miles up and back to a local lake but have made runs down to KY and as far north as Eagle River, WI without any issues.

I would like to run a WDH but it is not recommended on a swing tongue trailer, or by my trailer mfr.
Can you just move the winch post (or whatever the part is called that holds the winch on the front of your trailer) back to lower the tongue weight a bit? I assume your boat is either an outboard or inboard/outboard with most of the weight in the back. Moving it back even 4" could make a difference in tongue weight. Also you might want to weigh the tongue with and without a full tank of fuel.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts