Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the touchscreen for the hands free calling.And that's the law these days. Noticed the screen not working when I tried to answer incoming call, and several other call issues. Tried to answer today and it wouldn't respond. Reason I needed to answer is due to husbands poor health and it was the person sitting with him calling. Anyway the screen was HOT to touch,not enough to burn skin but pretty close.Turned off everything possible and turned on ac.Gonna give the truck to my grandson but now worried about catching fire. I think there needs to be a recall if these touchscreens are not a simple fix.Messing up is one thing but having to worry about it catching on fire is stressful. Thanks in advance for info or comments from others having the same problem.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado WT Extended Cab 4x4
169 Posts
Could you add a few more details about your vehicle: model, year, mileage, any accidents or major repairs, any add-on accessories that may have affected or altered the electrical operation of the vehicle, any other warning signs the touch screen may have given that there was a problem. Electrical problems are very difficult to pin point and diagnose, but someone here at the forum may be able to help narrow things down for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry about not enough info
2015 chevy Colorado LT bought new
Aprox 57,000 miles
Never any issues,take in for service as scheduled.
No audio add ons or accidents.The VA did have the disability mobility equipment place install an electric scooter hydraulic lift on the rear of truck about 2 1/2 yr ago.Have not used it in about a year because husband is no longer able to use the scooter. When I turned the screen back on after it cooled (about 10 min) the onstar navigation kept flashing on the screen stating "no route entered" ,maybe not exact words. But I had not touched the onstar symbols on screen or rearview mirror.No check engine lights of any kind.I did attempt to call my grandson several times and it put him on hold everytime and end the call. I turned it off and after the screen cooled plus waited for about 45 mi. to an hour the audio and hands free calling worked fine. I'm worried about catching fire. Gonna place fire extinguisher within reach.Trying to research similar problems so if I take to dealership, want to be able to have a little knowledge.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Have never heard of an issue with a Hot screen, but I would get it back to the GM dealer service. They should take care of you on that, if there is any chance of a fire hazard. At least to have the issue documented in case of future fire. Keep your receipt from dealer service.

Reactions: JBT

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
With it being a 2015 model, it’s out of warranty, but knowing that it could cause a fire, they may take care of you just to keep them in the clear. Once you present the problem, it will be documented and they know that should something bad happen in the future, that it can come back on them, being their product. Definitely worth a try. If you do not like their response, open up a case with GM Customer Care. Sometimes that gets better action. Please report back on the forum to let us know how it all turns out. Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: JBT

·
Registered
169 Posts
As you probably know, electrical problems can be a real nightmare to pinpoint. With the thousands of connections in a vehicle, these issues do occur more often than you might imagine. Not to alarm you, but as a retired firefighter, one of the things I was most surprised by while on the job, was the number of vehicle fires I responded to. The good news is, I've browsed this forum quite a bit in the last few months and have not read about Colorado's catching fire or any serious recurring electrical problems. If I had to guess, and this is just speculation, I would suspect the electric scooter hydraulic lift wiring as a possible place to start looking for a bad electrical connection. They may have spliced in to the back-up camera harness wiring as a power source, and that connection links to the dash board touch screen. That's just a guess mind you, but the dealership may be able to, either identify a problem there, or quickly rule it out. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Best of luck, and by the way, keeping a small fire extinguisher handy is always a good safety measure when there is a danger of fire. Kudos.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealer blames the problem on the scooter lift, since they did not do the installation. They have a tendancy to blame others.

Reactions: DiamondDaveNM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for advice. I believe there's a website where you can look at all the problems and amounts re: each one that's been reported to GM. I just remembered it since the last post. Hopefully I can find it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry about not enough info
2015 chevy Colorado LT bought new
Aprox 57,000 miles
Never any issues,take in for service as scheduled.
No audio add ons or accidents.The VA did have the disability mobility equipment place install an electric scooter hydraulic lift on the rear of truck about 2 1/2 yr ago.Have not used it in about a year because husband is no longer able to use the scooter. When I turned the screen back on after it cooled (about 10 min) the onstar navigation kept flashing on the screen stating "no route entered" ,maybe not exact words. But I had not touched the onstar symbols on screen or rearview mirror.No check engine lights of any kind.I did attempt to call my grandson several times and it put him on hold everytime and end the call. I turned it off and after the screen cooled plus waited for about 45 mi. to an hour the audio and hands free calling worked fine. I'm worried about catching fire. Gonna place fire extinguisher within reach.Trying to research similar problems so if I take to dealership, want to be able to have a little knowledge.
An hydraulic lift probably has a dedicated wire running to a power source that may not be enabled by the ignition key. You should know how it works. There should be no reason it has anything to do with the display. There is a reason fuses are used to supply power to electronic equipment. If the circuit board draws too much current, the fuse will blow. Circuit boards are flame retardant. If they weren't, you would see more fires related to electronic component failures. Don't get me wrong. It can happen, but the likelihood of a fire from a component failure is slim. When the touch screen gets hot, it can cause flaky behavior. Once it is completely cooled it will work as expected, which is what you are experiencing. Sounds like you either have a hardware failure, or the software is messed up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
...An hydraulic lift probably has a dedicated wire running to a power source...There should be no reason it has anything to do with the display...
This is true. An over-heated display is more than likely due to a malfunction in the component itself, and NOT related to the hydraulic lift operation. A short circuit in that lift would have more than likely blown the fuse it was connected to. I stand corrected. In any event, I hope you can find the problem and have it fixed. Please let us know what the outcome is. I'm interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I found some youtube videos regarding how to reset the entire "infotainment" screen.From pulling the fuse,reinsert or replace if needed, another stating turn everything off,lock door,restart,turn screen on. Think onstar and Sirius can run scan/reset by calling from the truck.For peace of mind I'm going to take to Chevy dealer report the problem,maybe they can do a reset.Went to store yesterday was thinking how simple autos use to be.My 1st car a 65 mustang,$750 perfect condition in 1972,was 17yr old.Didn't have my license cause nobody would let me drive,my brother in law drove it home for me and taught myself.Had 1 minor problem and Daddy fixed it about 5 minutes. Tks to all for info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts