Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the second owner of my 2017 Colorado Z71 and have about 72 km's (about 45k miles) on it. When I bought it last summer, they did the transmission fluid replacement/recall. I have approx 5000 km/3100 miles on it since that service. Most of the time it shifts nicely, but, at slow speeds such as the driveway or parking lot with no load, the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st can be very harsh. Not just the feeling, but also the clunking sound. I've read many posts here regarding the transmission issues, and the possibility that continued issue's may be attributed to a damaged torque converter ? Is there any sign or way of knowing if the TC may possibly be damaged ? Is there a simple inspection that can be done ? My Colorado is going to the dealer on Monday morning, and perhaps this is something I should inquire about ? I would appreciate input on this.

Gary

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Only way to tell if the converter has an issue is to remove it.

there is/was a thread on this last week, seems most get the harsh shift if they are doing a rolling stop
like slowing to a stop or yield, rolling slowly and then accelerating, it is just shifting down and you give it gas and it slams into 1st.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

there is/was a thread on this last week, seems most get the harsh shift if they are doing a rolling stop
like slowing to a stop or yield, rolling slowly and then accelerating, it is just shifting down and you give it gas and it slams into 1st.
Hunter62 .... the harsh shift you mentioned does seem noticeable slowly rolling to a stop at a stop sign, or in a mall parking lot slowly driving looking for a parking space. The other day my wife gave me a look like I just broke the truck because the clunk was also audible, but yesterday, it didn't do it at all. Maybe I'm wasting the dealers and my time ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So, I got the '17 Colorado in to the dealer for the hard shifting 1-2 & 2 down to 1st gear. They did the usual check the fluid which is still practically new from last fall service. Long road test and suggest I need to get the "program" wiped so the transmission can start in a learn mode ? The mechanic did note that it sticks in 3rd too long before shifting up. $125. later I'm trying out the truck. It feels a bit smoother, but the 2nd to 1st shift is still harsh at stop signs. It seems to be most apparent during a slow roll to a stop. The tech suggested I would need to put a few thousand km's on it. Does this sound right about the learn mode ?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I would crawl under the truck and check to see if everything is tight, like rear shocks, rear spring perch bolts and shackel bolts, cross members etc. almost sounds like something is shifting/loose as you are slowing down or speeding up from a stop.
The front end to, did previous owner have a level or after market shocks etc....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would crawl under the truck and check to see if everything is tight, like rear shocks, rear spring perch bolts and shackel bolts, cross members etc. almost sounds like something is shifting/loose as you are slowing down or speeding up from a stop.
The front end to, did previous owner have a level or after market shocks etc....
Thanks Hunter62, the timing might be right as I wanted a shop to install the 1" leveling kit GM has available. Good time for a shop to look for anything loose, or out of place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm the second owner of my 2017 Colorado Z71 and have about 72 km's (about 45k miles) on it. When I bought it last summer, they did the transmission fluid replacement/recall. I have approx 5000 km/3100 miles on it since that service. Most of the time it shifts nicely, but, at slow speeds such as the driveway or parking lot with no load, the shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st can be very harsh. Not just the feeling, but also the clunking sound. I've read many posts here regarding the transmission issues, and the possibility that continued issue's may be attributed to a damaged torque converter ? Is there any sign or way of knowing if the TC may possibly be damaged ? Is there a simple inspection that can be done ? My Colorado is going to the dealer on Monday morning, and perhaps this is something I should inquire about ? I would appreciate input on this.

Gary
I have been told this normal for the 8 speed trans. Mine does this 25% of time too! It drives me nuts! The 8L45 transmission is just bad a design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts