Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about possibly getting a topper/cap for my 2019 ZR2 with the minimax but one question I was wondering is how much does it affect the fuel mileage? I'd have to remove the factory ZR2 lightbar which of course has some weight to it too. I just didnt know if mileage drops with a topper/cap on the trucks or stays about the same, or even possibly increases. I am curious what others have seen.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
There are to many variables in the type of topper that you get (weight, height, aerodynamics, etc.) to accurately tell you what you would get. In switching from a fully loaded bed rack to a 185lb stainless steel topper with a platform rack on top of it, my mileage went up by 1 mpg.

But if you have nothing and you're going to a topper I'm the wrong person to ask.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know how much each mod that I did to the truck negatively affected my MPG but between adding the 265/65 tires and adding my shell I saw a loss of about 1-2 MPG.

·
Registered
2016 CCLB Mini-Max Diesel
113 Posts
We took a hit when we removed our rolling tonneau and added a shell. If memory serves we were getting about 30-31mpg on road trips with the tonneau closed. That went to the mid-high twenties when we added the cap and drag inducing accessories.

Our setup is a cab-height shell with a prinsu-style roof rack and big awning that stays on all summer. In the winter the awning gets swapped out for ski racks with similar mpg numbers. If you had a cab-height shell without the extra stuff like us you'd get better results.

This last weekend we drove about 400 miles with lots of elevation change, 2 bikes on a hitch mounted tray style rack, and maybe 600 pounds of stuff in the bed and we clocked 27.2mpg. Hopefully that's a helpful real world example!

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon, 2.8L Diesel, crew cab short bed. No tunes, only mod is Firestone It bags in rear
55 Posts
I have had a cab height topper from ARE on my truck since the truck was new. I do have the Yakima crossbars but they are on only when I need to transport something on top like a ladder.

Overall, my truck has 63,000 on it and has been running a lifetime fuel average of 26.2mpg. (this is calculated, not GM/OnStar numbers). My truck is not empty either, usually has 600+lbs in the bed. On highways, getting into low to mid 30's city is in the 23-25 range.

I do have Firestone airbags on the rear axle to maintain proper ride height because of my gear. Empty, there really is no noticeable squat in the rear without the airbags. In my case, airbags make a huge difference as I can load up the truck to the max and still maintain level ride height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts