Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Trail Boss on order and have always used a tonneau cover. I haven't looked too closely at the attachment of the sports bar but wonder if it will prevent the use of a tonneau. My dealer doesn't have any Trail Boss in stock to check, and I'd like to know my options prior to the truck arrival.

I am curious if anyone has put a tonneau on their trail boss, or are aware of which ones might work. Pictures are alway great

Assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Welcome to C'Fans.
Yes, the sports bar will interfere with a between the rail tonneau cover. The bar mounts kinda like a C-clamp, with a flat on the top rail, extending down the inside, then in under the rail. If you look at some Holden Colorado's, they have some rail top mount covers with cut outs around their bars.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here's some pics so you can see the brackets. Looks like the front goes in the stake pocket and bolts in via the mounting hole in the side of the bed. The back portion looks to be a clamp. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Oric

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would give the tonneau cover companies a chance to come up with a model that will work with the sport bar.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been updating some information on the thread about hard and soft covers.
After talking to installers and my Chevy dealer, they essentially said to remove the bar. Not to be stopped I decided to make a jump to fix the problem.
The following is my project to fix the problem and get a tonneau for the Trail Boss.

I have included multiple picture. This will help anyway considering the Trail Boss. There have been a lot of posts about the lights and bar configuration. This should help.

Since I haven't figured out how to post pictures with comment, I'll do the postings in order.

The first series are the problem. The bar clamp that holds the bar goes over the rail. Since all over require rail access, this needs to be fixed.

The next figure shows the bar elevate off the rail and I used a grinding wheel to remove the clamp and make it flush with the bar.

The third picture shows the bar and bed before cutting. There is a significant bend into the bed from the bars. This prevents any cover that requires more than minimal space to clear the bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After cutting the bar, I needed a method to fix the bar to the bed. There is a product called a BoxBolt. It is an internal setting rivet. The 1/2 inch bolt has a tension and sheer failure of about 10,000 lbs. That is greater than the weight of the truck. It requires a 13/16 inch hole.

After raising the bar, I found that the clamp is welded to the bar, but has a 1/2 inch hole in the center of the clamp. So, over drilling the clamp and bar was simple.

To add security, I added a 1/4 inch galvanized steel washer to spread the force across the bottom of the rail.

The pictures show the bolt, drill, washer and final assembly looking up from inside the rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally, after drilling, I secured the bar. There have been some suggestions about trying a larger tonneau cover. But the measurements don't work. I've included pictures showing the problem with clearance. Videobored posted some great pictures showing the Bak Revolver x2. On a long bed it requires at least 6 inches of clearance at the roll bar. I have a long bed. The clearance would require the bar be removed.

So, I used the Truxedo Lo Pro QT. Picture shows the rails installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
End of story. Rails installed and final pictures show the tonneau and bar. Perfect fit.

A special thanks to all in this forum who helped. A special thanks to Videobored. those pictures and final measurements confirmed what I needed to know.

It's amazing how hard it is to get information like the height of a roll up tonneau at 36 inches from the bed front.

So, it can be done on the Trail Boss. Any question, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, final shots and thoughts for future help.
The Truxedo fits perfectly flush. When installing, it has been mentioned that the serial number is on the undersurface of the front of the tonneau.It can only be accessed by removing the tonneau. So, when installing, STEP ONE, write down the serial number. Don't install the tonneau and then when registering have to go out and remove it to get the number, (like I had to do).

Also, the question has been raised about closing the tonneau and then the back, or the back and then then tonneau. Let me give an unequivocal answer. The tonneau and then the bed.

The PDF on installation shows the tonneau and then the bed. The video shows the reverse. However, if one closes the tonneau first there are several advantages.
1.) You can lower the rails and give a flush appearance at the tail bed.
2.) The inner rubber seal goes inside the bed. That is what is shown in the installation pictures. And it is water tight. I took my truck through a power wash and not a drip of water.
3.) It is easier to close the tonneau if you close it first. If you lower the rails to give a flush appearance, and try to close the tonneau after closing the tail, the tonneau hits the truck and is almost impossible to close. You have to overcome the gasket. By closing the tonneau first, it is easy. The truck tail closes easy due to weight and momentum. The gasket goes inside and is flush.

And, final picture of the truck.

Another interesting point. The lights on the Extended cab are closer to the front of the truck. They don't hit the truck roof as the distance is shorter and are easier to adjust. My dealer said he might consider only ordering them on the Extended cab as the install worked so much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
This is a fascinating thread. A question that I have has to do with the lights itself. Is there anything special that has to be done aside from installing the different switch in the dash when adding the lights? I don't know where you live, but if you were close enough, I would be highly interested in getting with you to do this to mine when I add the sport bar to my truck. Kudos on the thread.

·
Registered
10,922 Posts
Ok, final shots and thoughts for future help.
The Truxedo fits perfectly flush. When installing, it has been mentioned that the serial number is on the undersurface of the front of the tonneau.It can only be accessed by removing the tonneau. So, when installing, STEP ONE, write down the serial number. Don't install the tonneau and then when registering have to go out and remove it to get the number, (like I had to do)...
STEP ONE: Pull out phone and take a picture of the serial number to preserve for posterity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice looking truck, love the colors. I see the sports bar is now available as an afterthought for the twins. No need to order a trail boss specifically, I think the bar itself is $900 ish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the right up. I've been looking at similar bars for the summer and they all sit inside the bed like this one. I plan on buying a tonneau this month and I was afraid of how to attach both without issue

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is a fascinating thread. A question that I have has to do with the lights itself. Is there anything special that has to be done aside from installing the different switch in the dash when adding the lights? I don't know where you live, but if you were close enough, I would be highly interested in getting with you to do this to mine when I add the sport bar to my truck. Kudos on the thread.

after the sports bar is installed the lighting requires a new switch. It turns on only if you switch to it and HOLD IT for about four seconds. So, it can't be turned on by accident

On the Extended cab the adjustment is easier as the lights are closer to the front of the cab.

The sports bar has a brake light and the standard truck bed lights are partially blocked but still work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great thread on the cover, Thanks. My 2016 trail Boss did not come pre wired from the factory with the led bar light harness. The dealer has been running a new harness from main fuse box though frame to bed and hidden in the sports bar. they had the main fuse box totally apart and have been working on it for two days. The harness GM provides is duel purpose for use with the Silverado and Colorado. Like others I would think trail boss would have been pre wired before delivery to dealer????

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't install the bar on my Trail Boss but the dealer only took one and half day. Dropped off Monday morning, picked it up Tuesday noon. I was told it was wired for the install. I would have to ask the service tech if this is true, but they said it took a little over a day because of the multiple option upgrades that just take time.

I did a google search for the Trail Boss bar PDF installation instructions, but came up empty. I would be curious if someone could find the installation instructions.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My truck being a 2015 I expect will not be pre wired. I want to add the 2016 parts to mine and is where I'm generating the odd questions for the hidden stuff. The bar is easy, bolt and go. The light switch is easy enough to swap out. It'll be the wiring and any programming the dealer may need to do to the CANNBUS thing that is a question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MGS9500,
Thanks for sharing including the descriptives and pics. Well done!

That half inch hole might have been for condensation to drain out. Since you used that for the bolt, it might be good to drill another (drain) hole.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts