Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a Tonneau that I can easily remove or provides a lot of access to the truck bed. Also that is secure for when I have expesnive tools etc
I have back/knee issues so I can't lift much but often need to store expensive tools in back... also I often will haul large equipment in the back so I want it easy to access. Also easy to roll or fold up is beneficial

-Security/ anti theft
-easy to get almost full access to truck bed (or removeable easily for when putting in larger equipment)

I'm looking for under $1000

I was looking at the Bak Revolver because it gives access to truck bed, is light so can be removed by one person, doesn't need extra key
BUT I have heard Bak tonneaus can be easily broken into with a hanger, or pryed open

is this true?

If there are recommendations for easy accessible/ secure tonneaus let me know. Also it's a plus if it's easily removable/ light

Any recommendations

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Extang Solid Fold 2.0, which I think is relatively easy to remove. It has two screw clamps that attach at the front of the bed, and two spring loaded clamps that you would undo if you just wanted to open the tonneau. None of these things are theft proof, but I think this is probably more secure than a hard fiberglass lear that I had before, although probably not quite as water tight.

I think it is easy to remove and re-install. probably only takes about 2 minutes to remove it. I'm not sure about the weight, but I'd guess about 40lbs.

I've had it for 1.5 years, and so far, no complaints.

In my opinion, the best thing about the Extang, is that it does not require any extra hardware to be installed on your truck. Their are no extra rails or tracks, when you remove the cover, its like it was never installed.

On thing that might be a draw back for some is that it only opens 2/3 of the way, and you can't open it from the front, only the rear.

I paid about 700 for mine.

I would encourage you to visit several truck accessory vendors and try opening the different models and see how they attach to the truck so you can made the most informed decision.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The Lomax tonneau is pretty much the same situation as the Extang mentioned above, although removal is even easier and I'd say it's a little lighter (maybe 30 lbs). Add a power tailgate lock and I feel it's reasonably secure. Anybody is going to get into anything if they're determined. (Unlike the Extang, you do have a pair of rails that get left behind.)

Fast and easy removal was the main reason I chose this one, as I take mine off all the time.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-...other-tonneau-cover-thread-3.html#post4426777

·
Vendor
415 Posts
I feel most hard covers are more than secure enough to prevent the majority of theft. With enough determination someone will always get what they're after, but even just removing your tools from view will go a long way.

The most popular style of hard cover is the hard tri-fold like those from Bak, Gator, Undercover, Extang, and others. There are some slight functionality differences between them. Some fold all the way forward for full bed access, others trade-off that capability so that they can be removed quickly and without tools.

One question that may help narrow down some options for you: are you OK with the cover blocking your rear view mirror when you need full bed access, or would you prefer to just remove the cover instead? I never minded having the cover blocking my view. For how infrequently that was an issue I preferred not to remove the cover and find a place in my garage for it (plus, once the load was removed I still had the cover on the truck).

Your budget is more than adequate - within the hard folding category you'll be getting a premium model and still saving some $$$.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love my revolver x2, it was $800ish and keeps my stuff secure and away from the elements. Rolls back easily. Can be removed by 4 quick nuts if needed but rolls back far enough to carry pretty much anything. The fact it doesn’t block the rear view is awesome for keeping an eye on your cargo. Sits flush with the bed and has a clean look, have had a few people ask me what kind it is. Especially when it’s rolled up and the shiny silver slates are showing haha. Probably my favorite addition to my pick up.

On the security, I’m very happy with it. It would be about as easy to jimmy as your car door. If you’re cool with drilling a hole in your bed and in the cover you can put two eye bolts at the top corner with a little lock for peace of mind.

·
Registered
201 Posts
^
I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. Got it on black Friday sale. The cover is very well made, does not obstruct the entire view when rolled up and it gives a nice finished look when closed. It is fairly easy to install and operate. Best of all, it's Made in USA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.