Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this the other day http://www.jancecustoms.com/ and I'm SUPER INTERESTED in getting it. The problem is, its a prototype. Jance Customs is trying to find a company to manufacture it. You can join the petition if you would like to see it in production.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'd get one!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if they'll ever make it... I almost wish I never saw the prototype... cuz it's something I can't have immediately! :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
not sure what to think of it. looks like a very creative design id like to see more pictures and maybe a small video of it in action

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Looks pretty cool, but...

I think you'd be ducking under the bottom edge of that thing all the time. I'm only 5'8" and it looks to me like the bottom edge would be in the way.

Also, the way I use my bed with the Snugtop on it (it's my trunk and I'm in there several times every day), I like having the tailgate there so that my stuff stays in place and it's not on-view to everybody when I open it.
When I'm loading larger stuff I drop the tailgate.

I'd probably keep my Snugtop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I could just see me hitting my head on the edge of that tailgate part. But that is a pretty neat idea.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had it, my setup would be like this:
-Tonneau Gate
-Steel Rollpan with horizontal LEDS across for brakes + signal (Welded in)
-Tail lights filled

----------------------------------
So the backend would look real clean and smooth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the interest! I was checking my web traffic and found this thread. If you have any questions about Tonneau Gate go ahead and ask them and I will try to answer them for you.

I know head clearance might be an issue with some applications and owners height but going by todays head clearance on suv's such as Navigators, Hummers, Escalades etc those would be far worse than using Tonneau Gate.

Even though it may seem to be hanging low, the overall lift of the cover would not be directly in the way like the rear doors of the suvs are today. The cover opens like a car trunk and elevates higher keeping it out of the way. (Keeping in mind this is just a prototype.)

The suv doors are a lot larger and require a lot more lift (which you will never get from the limitations of the door design) not giving you the head room that you need.

When buying a hard tonneau cover of any kind, the owner needs to determine what their truck will be used for. Daily driving, everyday hauling, light work truck, show truck or a heavy hauler. I wouldn't recommend any hard tonneau cover for someone that plans on hauling large items or atv's on a normal basis.

Thanks for your time and feel free to ask any questions. I hope I can help with anything that you want to know about Tonneau Gate. Thanks!

Jance

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jance Customs said:
Thanks for the interest! I was checking my web traffic and found this thread. If you have any questions about Tonneau Gate go ahead and ask them and I will try to answer them for you.

I know head clearance might be an issue with some applications and owners height but going by todays head clearance on suv's such as Navigators, Hummers, Escalades etc those would be far worse than using Tonneau Gate.

Even though it may seem to be hanging low, the overall lift of the cover would not be directly in the way like the rear doors of the suvs are today. The cover opens like a car trunk and elevates higher keeping it out of the way. (Keeping in mind this is just a prototype.)

The suv doors are a lot larger and require a lot more lift (which you will never get from the limitations of the door design) not giving you the head room that you need.

When buying a hard tonneau cover of any kind, the owner needs to determine what their truck will be used for. Daily driving, everyday hauling, light work truck, show truck or a heavy hauler. I wouldn't recommend any hard tonneau cover for someone that plans on hauling large items or atv's on a normal basis.

Thanks for your time and feel free to ask any questions. I hope I can help with anything that you want to know about Tonneau Gate. Thanks!

Jance
Thanx for dropping by the forum! My only question is when are you going to find a manufacturer to make your prototype available? :)

Do you have any leads of any sort with that or anything in the works? I'm just super anxious to get hooked up with your tonneau gate!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanx for dropping by the forum! My only question is when are you going to find a manufacturer to make your prototype available? :)

Do you have any leads of any sort with that or anything in the works? I'm just super anxious to get hooked up with your tonneau gate!
I've have talked to several manufactures about producing them but I haven't had an offer that interest me. I want to make sure it is what I want and need to get my product up and running property. I have had a few companies try to cheapen and change my design and go a completely different route that will end up as a failure.

I want to make sure that my product is top of line and something worth buying and not just another cheap bolt on part that needs to be thrown away in a year.

My prototype was a good start for me several years ago and I have gone far with just that one tonneau cover. Sadly I have been trying to finish my full blown custom 94 Dodge Ram for the Sema show for about 3 years and counting... I've had some trouble with a few bodyshops and I am still waiting and hoping to make it to the Sema show to display my product for everyone to see in person. I want it to be a professional build for my truck and my Tonneau Cover.

If I can have my truck on display at Sema I will get a lot more attention and a lot more demand from the public. I'm still looking for a manufacturer but I have high hopes that someday my dream will be a reality. I'm just not sure when that will be.

The best thing anyone can do is to spread the word about Tonneau Gate and JanceCustoms.com Give me your Name, email and make and model and I will add it to my petition. If I can get 1,000's of signatures that will show manufacturers supply and demand and make them take notice ;-)

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts