Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new truck that already has a tonneau cover installed. But it has large openings near the corner of the tailgate and water gets into the bed. I am used to all my other covers coming down on the tailgate and doing a better job of keeping water out. Is this thing not adjusted right or am I missing pieces?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Might help to specify the brand of cover.

I'd question whether the side would be waterproof. I have a non-folding Undercover hard cover that extends over the sides and back and I was just commenting to my brother today how dry it keeps everything. And I live in Western Washington.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rev Industries which I believe is the Chevrolet accessories that Bakflip manufactures. The sides seal, took it through a car wash and noticed none of my tools near the front got wet.

·
Banned
129 Posts
....slide it back.....simple adjustment. IMO, with any tonneau cover, some water is gonna get in....not a ton....but some....

·
Registered
13,516 Posts
It looks like it's improperly installed, you should be able to adjust it so that there are no gaps.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Somebody previously trimmed the side rubber seals too short. They should overlap onto the tailgate. Bak may sell you new side seals for the MX4, to fx that.

Reactions: PCH4032

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks like it is installed too far forward. Should be able to move rearward to overlap the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Site Sponsor
423 Posts
You may also want to get some tailgate seals to seal up around the sides and bottom of the tailgate. If that's not done you'll always pull water through there (and unfortunately the side gaps on our tailgate are huge). You may still get a little water in there, but that will help keep a ton out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Bakflip cover has the same seal on the tailgate as is on the sides, don't know if yours is supposed to have one.
Also I have adjusted my cover three times and I still can't get it to stop leaking, and the seal that my cover has at the end continuously freezes to the tailgate in the winter, keeping me from opening the tailgate! :( The cover should have been 2 inches longer.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
29 Posts
Somebody previously trimmed the side rubber seals too short. They should overlap onto the tailgate. Bak may sell you new side seals for the MX4, to fx that.
I agree, by looking at the pictures it looks like someone cut the rubber along the bed rail sides where it meets the tailgate. That rubber should extend further towards the tailgate and overlap the horizontal rubber that runs across the tailgate just under the cover. If that’s the case, no adjusting of the entire cover front or back will help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a TonnoPro hard cover back flip. Easy install and mine does not leak. Guess I just got lucky.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,735 Posts
I have an UnderCover UltraFlex. The only area I have had water come in has been by the driverside of the tailgate. But of course that is the same side that I did $4,500 of damage at 39 miles on the first day of ownership.
I think your cover is installed too far forward from the pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts