Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's toaster have the most worthless cord? Its maybe 12 inches. I would like to place it somewhere on the counter and not on the wall please. I suppose it beats the $7.99 toaster I bought once that wouldn't even fit a slice of bread. End of rant, thought my English muffin with melty butter was delicious.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Blame your builder. NEC requires no point on the counter top be more than 2' from an outlet. So if your kitchen is wired correctly, your toaster should be just about in the center of your counter when you want to use it. 🍞

On top of that, the short cord keeps the toaster from being too close to the edge of the counter where 'little fingers" could find it. You can thank some government bureaucracy for that.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Not to mention that at the price of copper today, manufacturer probably saved a nickel or more on that toaster for every foot of cord they could chop off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What @Tom S. said, plus the amperage draw is close to the 15 amp circuit limit for an extended time. Being cheap, and the weeny gauge wire would get hot from the draw with more length, makes it a safety hazard.
This would be the #1 reason. My toaster has a long enough cord to fall of the counter. Got it as a wedding present. Wasn't even on the list!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Blame your builder. NEC requires no point on the counter top be more than 2' from an outlet...
It depends on the year of construction. I don't know when his house was built but my house was built in 1959, so those standards were not in effect then. Hell, when I had the counter and backsplash redone last year I wanted GF plugs put in, but the boxes were not large enough and the backsplash was already up, so no refitting of the receptacle boxes. :mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
It depends on the year of construction. I don't know when his house was built but my house was built in 1959, so those standards were not in effect then. Hell, when I had the counter and backsplash redone last year I wanted GF plugs put in, but the boxes were not large enough and the backsplash was already up, so no refitting of the receptacle boxes. :mad:
Also, counters are 25" deep, and if it extends into a peninsula, all bets are off.

Edit, referenced my codes quick. It is outlet every 24"of wall space, and there is provision for islands and peninsula's. But you would need a longer cord if using on those

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Your can put in GFI breakers provided the panel is breakers and not fuses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts