Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
On this forum, instead of asking if you should mod, you’re better off, asking how to. Otherwise you will get too many yes and no replies that you will be more confused than before you started the thread, and in the end, only you know the decision to make.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Lifts are stupid. They are a fad. On top of that, People will mock your lifted 2wd as they climb into their hard-parked mall crawler with a bed rack adorned with 3 jerry cans, 2 hi lift jacks, 13.66667(repeating, of course) LED light bars, roof tent, and Max Trax mounted on the side plus 8 skid plates, bull bumper, unidentifiable 'tough looking' metal bits bolted on in random places, angry headlights...in the Starbucks's parking lot - so you wont even get the satisfaction of approval from the phonies.

Lifts objectively make our truck worse at being trucks: less towing stability, higher load height, etc. If you wanted a wheeler, get a 2 door jeep wrangler - might as well get a new one because apparently they never depreciate because this fad is so out of control.

How many more years until we are back to low-riders, hella-flush, stance, etc.

Now, this is just to give you an out in case you just don't know who you are. If you do know who you are, and it's a fad chaser, being a 2wd means it's actually easier to do obscene lifts.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Until recently, most small trucks came in a 2X high stance option often referred to as a "Sport" model, like Ford Ranger Sport. I think 'Yota's was the Pre-runner.
There was always a market segment for a 4X height without the added expense of the 4X drive line. the OP is only wanting something that has been available for 40 years.
Having said that, I do think you may as well have the Eaton G80 locker in back so you have grip to get out of trouble.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Your truck, do with it what you like. What does it mater what others think? You're the one who has to like it.

Story time...

I've honestly never come across a situation where I've needed a 4wd... plenty where it would be nice (which is why I have them) but I've never gotten to a point where I've ever had to flip that switch.

Now I got a truck stuck once though. C3500 utility... about 9000 lbs. Shouldn't have done it, trying to pull a loaded trailer from a customers yard and backed in and was immediately frame deep. I needed waders to walk through that yard. No amount of lift and 4wd would have helped that thing. Would have needed like 3 feet of ground clearance to even have a shot...

·
Registered
29 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’ve installed the Eibach pro kit @ 2-3/4” up front, and added 1-1/2” blocks in the rear....... absolutely love the ride (a little stiffer) corners like a sports car lmao. Removed and then reinstalled my air damn, hate it, but don’t really love it off either.. I love the Eibach kit the way I have it, but at the lowest perch (2”), it was very close to stock ride with added height........ once I preloaded the spring on the next perch it got stiff.
Best of luck, I doubt this helped any. Lmao.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your truck, do with it what you like. What does it mater what others think? You're the one who has to like it.

Story time...

I've honestly never come across a situation where I've needed a 4wd... plenty where it would be nice (which is why I have them) but I've never gotten to a point where I've ever had to flip that switch.

Now I got a truck stuck once though. C3500 utility... about 9000 lbs. Shouldn't have done it, trying to pull a loaded trailer from a customers yard and backed in and was immediately frame deep. I needed waders to walk through that yard. No amount of lift and 4wd would have helped that thing. Would have needed like 3 feet of ground clearance to even have a shot...
I find it surprising that you've never needed 4wd in New Jersey, I assume that you get similar amounts of snow as we do in Southeast Michigan? But even without considering winter weather, since the OP lives in West Texas, I've had to put the truck in 4-low and lock both the front and rear axles just to make it up a steep back road (two-track) with very loose sand and ruts in the road.

The OP doesn't need 4wd though, he will just need to be more selective on some of the tougher trails if he chooses to take the truck off road.

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
447 Posts
Not stupid to mildly body lift a 2WD if you just need clearance, but word of caution: if you delete the air dam/snow plow, then the plastic underbody "skid plate" with air scoop becomes a plastic "skid plate" with snow scoop...so you may want to consider replacing that as well. Since the front differential isn't there, it's possible that debris/snow could make its way up into other expensive components.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I find it surprising that you've never needed 4wd in New Jersey, I assume that you get similar amounts of snow as we do in Southeast Michigan? But even without considering winter weather, since the OP lives in West Texas, I've had to put the truck in 4-low and lock both the front and rear axles just to make it up a steep back road (two-track) with very loose sand and ruts in the road.

The OP doesn't need 4wd though, he will just need to be more selective on some of the tougher trails if he chooses to take the truck off road.
My last truck, the trailblazer had an open front and rear diff. I could bury that thing to the doors in snow on gravel and still get it out without using 4wd. I've used it many a time but never actually got stuck to the point that I had to use it. Last few years we hardly got any snow. I thin a foot total last year?

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think its already been covered, but remove the snow plow, small lift and a nice set of tires and call it done...I honestly think these trucks just come to low from the factory to start with...A small will not be very noticeable from the normal eye, but you will see the difference, that along with some nice meats.

Side note, I just in Ruidoso, If you ever head up the mountain give me a shout, always nice to see other trucks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My first time actually playing off road in mine, that stupid air dam revealed how stupid it is. I removed mine permanently and with no regard to it ever being used on my, or any other truck for that matter, again. I have zero regrets and the trucks look massively better without it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be aware that power steps don't like snow and ice. Regular steps get covered as you drive, power ones freeze into place. Any steps help reduce racks from hitting your rear flares so that's a plus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Okay, long story, but relevant to my needs. I am sure this question has been asked and answered in here; somewhere. But I can’t find it beyond bits and pieces here and there.
Today I went driving around a lake to check out the campgrounds (had no idea there was a nice lake near me in the 15 years I have lived in El Paso). I see these huge trailers and RVs all over the place. They had to get to their spots on the same roads I was using. After using my air dam as a bulldozer blade to get through deep washes (yeah, I’m taking the friggin thing off, or at least trim it substantially), I came to realize that my 2WD Z71 sits lower than EVERY vehicle out here (I have no need for 4WD where I live, not for an extra $8K anyway). Other than the steep inclines and declines that I had to drive through, is it too much to want to out-perform a Winnebago or fifth wheel on rough roads?

So, to my (amateurish) question: Is it stupid to put a lift kit on a 2WD? I am thinking 2”, maybe three. Would I need to move the tires out (spacer)? Should I also get larger tires? Would larger tires need to get the speedometer calibrated? Headlights re-aimed? What else do I need to consider? I do not want to get rid of my rake, as I have found it useful on the three occasions I had to carry a ton of sand or gravel to my house. View attachment 381943

Thanks in advance
Be careful with mods. Many can invalidate your Mfrs. warranty. Don't give GM a reason to not provide warranty service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well now there something that’s never been thought of or broached before....... Good thinking Brian S, way to contribute to the forum.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Until recently, most small trucks came in a 2X high stance option often referred to as a "Sport" model, like Ford Ranger Sport. I think 'Yota's was the Pre-runner.
There was always a market segment for a 4X height without the added expense of the 4X drive line. the OP is only wanting something that has been available for 40 years.
Having said that, I do think you may as well have the Eaton G80 locker in back so you have grip to get out of trouble.
I agree that a slightly lifted 4x2 can look good. My girlfriend's dad has an old Tacoma Prerunner - 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, but tough as nails.

My stock Colorado WT sits about as tall, but the proportions make it look a little different. I don't tend to think that it needs a lift, as I'm sitting at eye level with an S10 ZR2. The old 2wd S10's, Tacomas, and Rangers sat much lower, other than the lifted models mentioned previously.

Removing the air dam (or cutting it down) makes a huge difference. If mine had a G80 or a locker, it would do pretty much anything I would want to do with my truck. If I really want to go off-road, I'll tow my girlfriend's RZR somewhere. ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just because I just went through this - You can only level (not the same as a full lift) to about 2" before your price doubles for a lift. I went with a 2" Ready Lift leveling kit in the front and the 1" Maxtraxx lift block in the back. Then I was able to put 265/65R 17's on for tires. Like someone else said, "I think its silly to lift" a two wheel drive. While I agree with this statement somewhat. There might be a valid need for a little more clearance with a 2 wheel drive. Also, it really is your truck and money, so, whatever. haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
i think its already been covered, but remove the snow plow, small lift and a nice set of tires and call it done...I honestly think these trucks just come to low from the factory to start with...A small will not be very noticeable from the normal eye, but you will see the difference, that along with some nice meats.

Side note, I just in Ruidoso, If you ever head up the mountain give me a shout, always nice to see other trucks.
White Sands Missile Range and Alamogordo are the closest I get to Ruidoso. Went to that pond at the Inn once because someone said it was a lake (Apparently in our area, people have never seen a real lake). My truck stands out like a sore thumb, so if you see me, pull me over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Be careful with mods. Many can invalidate your Mfrs. warranty. Don't give GM a reason to not provide warranty service.
I agree, and thanks. I should have just made my initial post short and simple: I am NOT looking for making my little truck look like a monster truck. As one of the initial replies mentioned, the angle of approach is my issue. When it's time to get new tires, I am just going to see if there is a taller tire that will fit without rubbing in a turn. When I go off-road, going to carry a couple of 6x6 posts I have to throw in the ditches when crossing. Worst-case scenario, I will trim a couple of inches off the air dam and hope it doesn't affect trade-in value

21 - 40 of 67 Posts