Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Colorado Z71 has the Goodyear Wrangler all Terrain tires that soon need to be replaced. Even when new, I was never happy about the treads in snow or muddy conditions. But they were a good highway tire. Without going overboard, I'd like to step up a notch with a more aggressive tread but still have a nice bare road highway ride.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
There have been a few threads on this recently. A search on TIRE - linited to title only, and sorted by date, may get you there pretty quickly.

I went with the Michellin Defender LTX. I gave up on my OEM tires at 70K, was not happy with them on wet pavement after the first 10K. I have 30K on these Defenders, and I feel very confident in them, and would expect to get at least another 30K out of them.

There are a lot of choices out there, depending on just how aggressive you want to go. I would argue my tires are a good highway tire.

Reactions: seawolfxix

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My 2015 Colorado Z71 has the Goodyear Wrangler all Terrain tires that soon need to be replaced. Even when new, I was never happy about the treads in snow or muddy conditions. But they were a good highway tire. Without going overboard, I'd like to step up a notch with a more aggressive tread but still have a nice bare road highway ride.

Any recommendations?
I don't have a recommendation, but snow performance is not entirely related to tread pattern. The OEMs on my 89 Ranger looked like a passenger car tread, but they performed very well in the snow and ice. Mud probably not so much, but I didn't do any serious mud with them.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'll likely be in the market for new tires in the next year or so, the OEm Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires have been good overall, but I don't venture into the dirt that often but do think the truck needs a little more aggressive tire. :D

Been thinking about these - https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3 - Since they're available in the OEM size for me (255/50R20) as well as some slightly larger if I want to go a little bigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was a huge fan of the Cooper MTPs at discount tire. Big enough lugs for mud, great center section for snow, and the ride was fine imo. Even on an e rated 35. I took them through everything and the excelled everywhere. I’m currently looking at the evolution series for the same reasons. I’m not a fan of the STT pro based on snow performance. They’re not bad, but the mtps are better.
As far as Goodyear, I’ve never in my life run a tire that handles snow/ice better than the duratrac.

I try to only run Goodyear/cooper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll likely be in the market for new tires in the next year or so, the OEm Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires have been good overall, but I don't venture into the dirt that often but do think the truck needs a little more aggressive tire. :D

Been thinking about these - https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3 - Since they're available in the OEM size for me (255/50R20) as well as some slightly larger if I want to go a little bigger.
l’ve got the 17 inch rim from the SLE and will be putting these tires on in a week or two in a 255 70 17. Can’t wait!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
l’ve got the 17 inch rim from the SLE and will be putting these tires on in a week or two in a 255 70 17. Can’t wait!
Nice, let me know what you think!

Depending on how much driving I do before winter I might be replacing the OEM tires this fall as I’d rather not be driving in the snow with marginal tires.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Nice, let me know what you think!

Depending on how much driving I do before winter I might be replacing the OEM tires this fall as I’d rather not be driving in the snow with marginal tires.

Well, these dang OEM tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza) just won't quit. They come with 11/32" factory tread depth and I still have 7/32" left! I'm at 48k miles on them, too. I guess they're not as worn as I thought they were. At this rate I won't be needing tires until close to 100k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts