Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2005 Colorado ext. cab, Z71 off-road package, no lift kit and the stock rims. I was looking for recommendations on some new tires. I travel from Fargo, ND to the cities about 1-2 times a month and will be traveling to Wisconsin this winter for a snowmobiling trip. I need tires that will last a good amount of miles, perform decent in snow and ice, and be able to handle the long trips.
Thanks!
-Trevor

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
IMO, the Michelin LTX M/S is the best all around tire I'v ever used. Smooth and quiet on dry roads. Decent off road. And chews through ice and snow like a tracked vehicle. I've driven through some hellacious storms in the rocky mountains with no trouble at all. A little expensive, but you'll easily get 65-70K miles out of them. I'll be replacing my factory tires with a set of these pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Do you go off road at all? Do you want to run two sets of tires; winter tires in the winter, and 3 season tires in the summer?

Reactions: trevorloidolt

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'd suggest taking a look at the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015. The 31x10.5R15 size is equivalent to stock dimensions.

I just had a set put on my truck 5,000km ago. The have the severe snow service snowflake symbol, are not too aggressive for an A/T, and they are quiet and smooth.

Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 by Ryan Jakob, on Flickr

Reactions: trevorloidolt

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have the same truck and year that you have. I got 139,600 miles on the original General tires that everyone hated. I have a pair of extra wheels with General AT2 that I run 4 months per year (December through March) on the rear only so they accounted for some on the 139k miles. They reduce my gas mileage about 3 mpg to 17/21. I was primarily concerned with keeping my good mileage of 20 city and 24 highway when I bought new tires. I finally Decided to stay with General. So I bought General Grabber HTS 60 in the stock size of 265/75-15. So far the mileage has stayed exactly the same and the wet traction is excellent. I have not used them in snow and probably will not do so because on Dec 1 I will switch the rears back to the AT2 set that I have which are excellent in snow. The problem with almost any on-off road tire is you will take a mileage hit. So think about whether you want reduced mileage year round when you decide on new tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best off road tire Michelin makes is the A/T2. This coming from a 25 year employee. For the early Colorado, 15" wheels, it's not as easy to find 15's like we used to. I've actually used both the p-metric size and inch size to get the tire I wanted. 265 75/15. Or 31 x 10.50 R15. Very little difference between the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.