Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So circumstances have finally dictated that a tire swap is necessary. I talked to the dealers and they told me that I need to stick with the 265/75R-15 tires that it came with or it might burn out the transfer case.

Is this legit? I talked to a guy at a tire place and they said it wasn't a big deal to go with a slightly wider tire, however, I don't want to cause my warranty to be invalidated / end up in the shop because of this. Anyone know if other tire sizes won't cause problems, and some good on/off-road tires in an offsize in the event the local places don't have my size?

Thanks,

Michael
2005 Colorado Z71 4x4

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The 265x75x15 tires are the same size as a 31x10.5x15. There are a lot more tires in that size. The only way different tires could hurt the drivetrain is if the tires are not all the same size.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When you go bigger, you change gear ratio therefore it loses a little bottom end.That's all. The bigger you go the more you lose.

I went 32x11.5x15 on stock z71 rims. Seems fine.

There's a lot of people with oversized tires on this site. Never heard any bad things to come of it...especially in the transfer case.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Burn out the T-case. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts