Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BFGoodrich AT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Don't go with the BFG TA K/O if you have cold weather or drive in the snow. They get hard and don't clear the snow.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't know why everyone thinks the factory Generals are so bad. It really depends on you usage. I have a 07 reg. cab Canyon 4x4 and I bought it to get by in the snow here in southeast Kansas in the winter and otherwise is is mostly on pavement. So for my usage they are just fine. If I did off roading in mud and hill climbing I'm sure I'd want something else.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
johnny1 said:
I don't know why everyone thinks the factory Generals are so bad. It really depends on you usage. I have a 07 reg. cab Canyon 4x4 and I bought it to get by in the snow here in southeast Kansas in the winter and otherwise is is mostly on pavement. So for my usage they are just fine. If I did off roading in mud and hill climbing I'm sure I'd want something else.
Factory Generals had me sliding too much in the snow. They were pretty pathetic, but the BFG's I have now are right up there with them snow-wise.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Can't really give you a comparison, but I can tell you about the Pro-Comp Xterrain because that's what I have on my truck. I'm going to try to be as honestly objective as I can and not gloss over anything in my experience with them. They're fairly noisy -- although I've heard louder. On pavement, they will induce a significant vibration at low speeds (<1-10 mph) because of the wide lug spacing. The older they get, the worse this will get. Overinflation will make the vibration worse also. They're not the greatest on wet pavement, but are better than you might expect from a mud tire because of the relatively sticky rubber compound. Of course, the sipes in the middle of the lugs help with this too. The sipes are one reason I chose these over the MT Baja Claw. I have no experience with them in snow, however, I'd expect them to do very well. They are good in sand as long as you air down, otherwise, they'll dig too much. And they are unbelievable on rocks. Check out this link to some shots taken when we were up in the Sierras this summer. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238064/4 There's one where I've got the front tire up on a boulder about 3' high. Those tires never even offered to spin, just crawled up on top. That's thanks to the sticky rubber again. However, that also contributes to fairly quick wear as well. I'm driving mostly local commutes, lots of stops and starts and corners. I've probably lost 3/32 of tire in about 4000 miles. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck -- bought it in August '05 and still only have about 17,xxx on it -- so I can get by with a little bit of excessive wear. Heck, here in the San Joaquin Valley, they'll probably dry rot from the sun and heat before I wear them out anyway! :) All in all I'm happy with them. Just consider the facts I've given you against your needs/wants. Personally, I love the looks of these tires and the performance/durability works for me. (edit) If you pay attention and have the time to wait, Pro-Comp runs a Buy 3 get the 4th free sale occasionally. I got mine that way. Ended up being about $750 for the four shipped from AZ.

·
Registered
154 Posts
coyote said:
Don't go with the BFG TA K/O if you have cold weather or drive in the snow. They get hard and don't clear the snow.
Gotta second that one. Was trying to figure out what tires to get and went with the BFG TA's. The second week I was running them it was -30 and icy. They had the same effect of curling rocks on ice and were probably just as hard. These tires have the extreme weather rating but suck on ice, in cold weather, or on compact snow. In deep snow I find they don't clog and dig in pretty good and all other terrain are quite nice. As well, they wear really well and I was surprised with how quiet they were for the way more aggressive tread.

If you're driving in a lot of snow and ice, go Nokian!!! Those Swede's know how to make an ice tire and they wear well for all year use. Not sure how they'd do in mud or rock off road though. Another option is to go with the BFG MT's and get them siped at the tire shop. It'll extend the wear and make them a pretty effective ice/snow tire. I imagine they'll probably hum pretty good though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Idk i got some BFG AT and they do just find in the snow. I mostly use them for dirt and mud cuz we dont get a bunch of snow where i live but just goin off roadin and muddin the BFGs work great.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try some other tires and you'll see the difference. All the reviews for BFG AT's say they're ok in mud for AT's but clog real easily and are no comparison to MT's. The difference in snow handling may be due to the cold weather making the rubber extremely hard.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Ok after getting the BFG's siped they do much much much better in the snow. I still wouldn't buy another set, but if you have them and want better traction then get the siped. I drove home on almost all compact snow last night and the difference was night and day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have been looking at Pro Comp all terrains.

But I would like something that look real aggressive. Do you think the pro comp Mud Terrians are made of a soft rubber compound like the Xterrains???

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs

·
Registered
141 Posts
sleeper_07 said:
I have been looking at Pro Comp all terrains.

But I would like something that look real aggressive. Do you think the pro comp Mud Terrians are made of a soft rubber compound like the Xterrains???
I've got the Mud Terrains. Can't really compare directly as I've never seen the Xterrains in person, but the Mud's are pretty damn soft.

I'll have to post some pics one day...I've got the 32x11.50 and theyre pretty frikking meaty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry Guys. Ive had no prblems with my bfg"s!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I should take a video of me trying to stop on ice on my bfgs... kinda looks like the kids playing hockey when they coast down the rink. I might get them siped. Far better traction on ice and they last longer. Are you happy with your siping coyote? No change in road noise or handling other then better traction?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
justplanecrazy said:
I should take a video of me trying to stop on ice on my bfgs... kinda looks like the kids playing hockey when they coast down the rink. I might get them siped. Far better traction on ice and they last longer. Are you happy with your siping coyote? No change in road noise or handling other then better traction?
I just had it done, but so far no bad qualities. The Generals I had siped started to lose chucks, but the Geolanders I had on my 1500 never had that issue. I think the Generals were too soft of a tire to be siped with the power we have.

·
Registered
569 Posts
SilentJ,

I would like to see those pics. How many miles do you have on them? how many do you expect to get?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts