Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all: I am looking at replacing my GY Fortitude HTs on my 2015 CC STL. I have narrowed down my choices to Nokian Rotiiva AT plus and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. The Nokians have a load rating of 114 while the Michelins are rated at 110. I don't want my truck to be less responsive to wheel input/cornering, not that I race my truck. I just don't want that wallowing feeling.

Will the Nokians have a significantly stiffer ride vs the Defenders? Which do you think would be more responsive? I understand one is an AT and the other is all-season.

Thanks a bunch.

PS: I live in Michigan and see a lot of snow. Mostly pavement driving, one hunting trip a year.

·
Registered
850 Posts
At will be stiffer then all season the way the weave is in the tire. Michelin will be a softer ride because there rubber is softer. Michelin age out real quick in real hot environments because of the compounds they use in the rubber.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'v never used a Nokian tire, so I can't speak about that. But I'v gone through 3 sets of Michelin LTX M/S tires on 2 different trucks. It's the best all around tire I'v ever used, bar none. In the summer, it's quiet and smooth, and easily handles highway speeds up to 85mph. I certainly would not say it heat cycles out. Up here at high altitude, surface temps can easily get to 140*.

In bad weather, this tire will chew through ice and snow like it's on treads. I'v never been stuck on the street or on muddy logging roads. I don't do any serious off roading, but hunting in the fall, and some mud now and again are not a problem.

Next spring, I'll be buying a set of these. I'll even replace the spare. I'v already had a puncture in the stock Z71 tires from a simple dirt road in the Rockies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just put a set of Nokian tires on and have to say I am pretty impressed. Given it is an LT AT, they are not as car-like as the stock Goodyears, but with proper inflation you'd be hard pressed to tell too great of a difference. I run mine at 45 psi. These tires are quiet as well.

These are just the standard Rotiiva AT, but a helluva price. They carry the snowflake designating them a true winter tire, and really aren't much heavier than the stock GY's. I haven't noticed any difference in MPG.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-lt245-70r17-t428440-tires

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
At will be stiffer then all season the way the weave is in the tire. Michelin will be a softer ride because there rubber is softer. Michelin age out real quick in real hot environments because of the compounds they use in the rubber.
I have only run Michelin on an Accord, but never noticed any issues with the hot environment of Texas.

Right now I am leaning toward the Michelin Defenders. Recognize that I am mainly city/highway, very little offroad, although with all of the construction underway, that may be arguable.

I am at 55K right now, still have decent tread left on tires, thinking I will get into winter, if not through it, before I have to replace. I rotate at every oil change. I think the mileage I am seeing should tell you I get pretty good mileage from my tires, typically run between 35-39 PSI against the door label of 35 PSI.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Both fine tire brands. I've had very good luck with Michelin LTX tires (I'm also in Michigan) so I can recommend them. That's what will go on my Canyon when I kill the OEM tires. But I don't think you could go wrong with either of those, tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.