Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was purchasing my Z71 Colorado, my spare tire change kit (lug wrench, bottle jack, and bottle jack crank) were all missing.

I checked in some of the other Colorados on the lot, and ALL 4 of the Z71s (including the one I ended up purchasing) were all missing the entire kit. The rest of the Colorados had the kit.

An employee (not the salesman I was working with) at the dealer tried to tell me that the Z71s don't come with the kit because it has run-flat tires.. (To me, even if it DID have run-flats - which I'm nearly positive it does not - why the heck would I have a spare tire under the bed if I can't use it? I can't even get it out without the kit, so it makes no sense)

The salesman I was working with was fortunately on my side of this argument, but it was only his second day, so the more "veteran" employees were giving him a hard time. Thankfully, because it was his second day, the sales manager guy was very interested in my sale, and kept popping by, so it wasn't long till he came over to see what all the fuss was about, and pretty quickly once he showed up, they pulled a tire change kit out of a ZR2 and stuck it in my truck and I was on my merry way.

But I am very curious, if anyone else had anything similar happen? Anyone else's Z71 missing the spare tire tools and jack?

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
My Z71 had the spare tire change kit under the back seat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gas can filler was in the glove compartment in a clear plastic bag.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gas can filler was in the glove compartment in a clear plastic bag.
Not that I really need it but definitely did not have one for my 2015, is it a new thing for 17/ 18?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Not that I really need it but definitely did not have one for my 2015, is it a new thing for 17/ 18?
The fill tube is only 17 and up for the cap less fillers.

All these trucks come with a jack and none unless dealer install came with run flats.

Go back and get the jack and tools.

Check behind the seat for the jack it is under a foam cover. The tools should be under the seat.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My Z71 had the spare tire change kit under the back seat.
Check behind the seat for the jack it is under a foam cover. The tools should be under the seat.
Mine had them. Also included two kinda small steel wheel chocks.

I actually had to look it up on the interweb to find the jack when I had a flat. And, No, I did not have the owner's manual with me at the time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
:clueless
Sounds like a dealer that is saving on PDI costs. I know of a BMW dealer that takes the accessory equipment out and then sells it to the buyer as optional equipment.....
:roll:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That's some pretty shady stuff going on. I would look into a different dealer if they're taking spare equipment from new vehicles...

·
Registered
380 Posts
:clueless
Sounds like a dealer that is saving on PDI costs. I know of a BMW dealer that takes the accessory equipment out and then sells it to the buyer as optional equipment.....
:roll:
I highly doubt that. That is highly illegal and no dealership is going to risk their franchise over a few bucks like that. That’s so many millions of dollars.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I'd complain to the Regional office for GM as to why they discontinued putting jacks and tire tools in the trucks to save a few bucks. That might get the dealer some attention.

I had a problem with a 1984 Chevy transmission, it was in shop 4-5 times, last time dealer had it for over a week with no progress. Transmission re-built 2-3 times. Vehicle was 4 months too soon to meet the new Lemon Law enacted back then. Called Regional and made a big deal out of the problem. An hour later, dealer called me back and told me "Detroit got wind of your problem, authorized a new transmission, you can pick it up this afternoon. "

I can't even begin to think how Run Flat tires would perform with a 1000 pounds in the bed or a trailer attached, or perhaps offroad somewhere? Great for a little sports car to limp home from the local bar, not sure i would trust it for a truck, unless the tires were built to military standards.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I doubt they're even run-flats on the trucks in question. Bet they're still the stock GYs lol and the shmuck salesmen trying to pawn it off

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
How many time have you seen unlocked trucks on dealer lots after hours? I bet someone went through the lot checking trucks and stole all the tool kits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.