Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in mountains of Colorado and occasionally have to chain up to get through the snow.
I was wondering if anyone has had chains on the front of their Colorado/Canyon?
I just got a 2017 GMC Canyon. Will be adding a leveling kit at minimum.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Welcome to C'Fans

I'm kinda allergic to snow, so I can't help, but nice Denali.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Hey how did my truck end up in Colorado?

Sorry little chain experience here. We do the mountains in WV but never use chains. Here in the snow belt of Ohio we never see them.

I would recommend if you do use them watch the clearance as with the 20" there is little margine of error. Should one get lose up front it would rip the hell out of the front fenders and wheel wells.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey how did my truck end up in Colorado?

Sorry little chain experience here. We do the mountains in WV but never use chains. Here in the snow belt of Ohio we never see them.

I would recommend if you do use them watch the clearance as with the 20" there is little margine of error. Should one get lose up front it would rip the hell out of the front fenders and wheel wells.
That is why I want to lift it for some clearance,
1-1/2 to 2 ft of snow chains are almost a must have.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
The lift will help to a point.

I assume you will Change tires too?

The stock tires even have me concerned here where we can see 12" plus during a day. It also is the wet lake effect snow that packs the tread.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bet you are living in Florida. I live in central Colorado. My house is at 9982 ft.
Snow can be an issue from time to time
time to time as in September - June?

Is it 4 wheel drive? I thought we were supposed to use tire cables, and they went on the rear wheels... Can't remember where I read that though.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you plan on using chains, I would recommend cable chains and if your rig is a 4x4, put the chains on the front because it's easier to pull than it is to push.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I keep some Auto-Trac chains in my truck. I put them on once to make sure I could, but have yet to need them. However, Littleton gets a lot less snow than Fairplay. I'm also running Duratracs and they have been great in the snow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.