Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st wish me luck. I have a 2007 Colorado 2.9 4x4 and I have a p0017 code and decided to change the timing chain myself . My question is when checking the chain and I turn the engine with a socket the timing chain is tight but as I turn it it will be so loose but will get tight again as I continue to turn the engine. Its tight then very very loose then tight then loose. Is this normal?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
1st wish me luck. I have a 2007 Colorado 2.9 4x4 and I have a p0017 code and decided to change the timing chain myself . My question is when checking the chain and I turn the engine with a socket the timing chain is tight but as I turn it it will be so loose but will get tight again as I continue to turn the engine. Its tight then very very loose then tight then loose. Is this normal?
sounds like a tensioner problem.

Reactions: Xindianax

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the pics . You can how loose the chain gets. So if you have p0017 and no power especially uphills , truck smells like its3 overheating but not , then this is probably the issue. I am waiting on parts but will let you know how this rookie does on this per shop 19 hr job.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Here are the pics . You can see how loose the chain gets. So if you have p0017 and no power especially uphills , truck smells like its3 overheating but not , then this is probably the issue. I am waiting on parts but will let you know how this rookie does on this per shop 19 hr job.
Good luck with it, take your time and I bet you will be fine. Anything you aren't sure of check the book or at least YouTube. lol
I remember seeing a post a while back with the same thing, sloppy chain and a pic of it. Was it you?
Please let us know how it turns out, what you find....There seem to be lots of noisy timing chains on these old trucks. We need more info.
Also, there are post about the actuators and sensors dying too. I know engine oil seems to be pretty important with these because oil actuates the cam timing phaser. Be sure to change it when it needs it.
Have you seen the 355nation forum, check that out too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1st time I have posted about the chain. Little nervous especially with dropping the differential, and I have saw nightmare videos with the oil pan ,front cover and dipstick tube not coming off . I will just go slow and try not to break anything.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Is the 2.9L the engine that has the rear chain also, that has to have the transmission removed in order to get to it?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I would think if you have enough miles for front chain slop, the rear would be just as worn. If you plan on replacing it, buy the complete kit with all the tensioner and guides.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you seperate the steering from the rack. I removed the bottom bolt but can separate it. Is there a trick? I pryed on it but it won't open enough. I am taking rack completely out and can't get it out because of the lower shaft. Can I just remove it from rack or not ? I cant find any videos either. Thxs

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
The rack/steering gear should be coupled the the upper steering shaft with a u joint type coupling that is splined to the shaft coming out of the rack. Loosening the bolt should disconnect it. With age, a little penetrating oil and a little light tapping with a hammer should free it up and let the shaft slide out of the coupling. Should not have to spread it open, the bolt loosened should free it up.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Reactions: White016

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
How do you seperate the steering from the rack. I removed the bottom bolt but can separate it. Is there a trick? I pryed on it but it won't open enough. I am taking rack completely out and can't get it out because of the lower shaft. Can I just remove it from rack or not ? I cant find any videos either. Thxs
Do you mean the tie rod to the spindle? beat the crap out of the side of the spindle where the tie rod bolt goes though with a big hammer, it will let go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I mean the steering wheel shaft. There are 2 couplers. The one at the bottom is the 1 I cant separate. I can't work the rack out with the lower half in. I will try to get pics here in a little bit. Everything is disconnected except that piece.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good luck with your project. I had the same issue, but chose to sell the truck and get a new to me one. I know the "new" one will have the same issue eventually.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 3.6 v6 Midnight Edition with sports bar
218 Posts
I'm a noob so its 1 thing at a time. I hope the back chain is good. We shall see
But, imagine having to repeat the process for that one later... I haven't been into one of these, so not sure what is involved. But if I am picturing it right in my head, wouldn't one tight chain stretch more quickly if the other chain is loose?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
No I mean the steering wheel shaft. There are 2 couplers. The one at the bottom is the 1 I cant separate. I can't work the rack out with the lower half in. I will try to get pics here in a little bit. Everything is disconnected except that piece.
remove the bolt completely and it slides off. Doesn't need to separate.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts