Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to upgrade to 2500 Silverado Duramax. Finding these trucks in Idaho seems to be a challenge. I'm still keeping my ZR2 Diesel, I just want more payload capacity and more towing power with some to spare. I want the power to pull up these hills in Idaho. I plan on putting a ATV in the 2500 truck bed and eventually getting a larger travel trailer or just getting a small toy hauler. I had planned on getting a Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax until I looked into the payload capacity. I think I would be just putting myself into another situation where I'm at the max capacity and towing capacity of the 1500.

The ZR2 Duramax is a keeper.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I'm currently looking to upgrade to 2500 Silverado Duramax. Finding these trucks in Idaho seems to be a challenge. I'm still keeping my ZR2 Diesel, I just want more payload capacity and more towing power with some to spare. I want the power to pull up these hills in Idaho. I plan on putting a ATV in the 2500 truck bed and eventually getting a larger travel trailer or just getting a small toy hauler. I had planned on getting a Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax until I looked into the payload capacity. I think I would be just putting myself into another situation where I'm at the max capacity and towing capacity of the 1500.

The ZR2 Duramax is a keeper.
Surprising ending to this story, usually people post these as a goodbye.

What year are you looking for ? New or used ? And what do you see as the pros/cons to your choice ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ARCowboy,

I'm looking for a new one, 2022. If I can find a very low mileage 21-22 I may buy it. Pros, towing/stopping power, and payload capacity. Cons, not cheap.

The long term plan for the 2500 is just for towing my travel trailer, not a daily driver. The plan is to have this truck for many years.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Post a few pics when you get it, if you don't mind. I'd very much like to have one some day (with the diesel 6.6).

Reactions: 2018Midnight

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave Smith doesn't have one or can't get one?! The world must be ending.

What I have been finding out is that dealers claim to have the truck on the lots on their websites and they don't actually have the truck on their lot, or the trucks advertised are already sold. Then there is the market adjustment value added in after you talk to the salesman.

Dave Smith is an 8 hour drive from me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have thought about upgrading to a LZ0 when it comes out. I am never a fan of first edition engines just because there are always kinks to work out. Also as of 2023 they will offer the diesel towing packing giving you 13k. Not sure if an atv will fit in the bed tho

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon Duramax CCLB
105 Posts
I have thought about upgrading to a LZ0 when it comes out. I am never a fan of first edition engines just because there are always kinks to work out. Also as of 2023 they will offer the diesel towing packing giving you 13k. Not sure if an atv will fit in the bed tho
The 13K towing package is only available with specific configurations. For Chevy I believe it is with double cab 2WD only. For GMC it is double cab 4WD. No crew cab. It like they don’t want anyone to buy them, but wanted the spec for bragging rights in commercials.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
207 Posts
I hear you DB. I wouldn’t say that I have buyer’s remorse but I certainly have seller’s remorse. I sold my 2006 Ram 2500 and it was a beast. I had done everything I wanted to it and it only had 65,000 miles on it. Probably about 450hp and around 700ftlb or a bit more. Well, it’s done now. The young couple that bought it was very happy though and they got a good solid truck.

Reactions: C21964 and Abe17ZR2

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear you DB. I wouldn’t say that I have buyer’s remorse but I certainly have seller’s remorse. I sold my 2006 Ram 2500 and it was a beast. I had done everything I wanted to it and it only had 65,000 miles on it. Probably about 450hp and around 700ftlb or a bit more. Well, it’s done now. The young couple that bought it was very happy though and they got a good solid truck.

The current generation 2500 Duramax has 445 HP and 915 Ft LBS Torque. Thats allot of power for a stock power train. It's an overkill for what I have now, it will allow me to expand in the future. The 6.6 Gas engine has 401 HP and 460 Ft LBS of torque. If the gasser torque was allot higher, I would consider it . I had the opportunity to buy the gasser and I passed on that option.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
207 Posts
The current generation 2500 Duramax has 445 HP and 915 Ft LBS Torque. Thats allot of power for a stock power train. It's an overkill for what I have now, it will allow me to expand in the future. The 6.6 Gas engine has 401 HP and 460 Ft LBS of torque. If the gasser torque was allot higher, I would consider it . I had the opportunity to buy the gasser and I passed on that option.
915 ft lbs? That is just crazy isn’t it? I believe when it comes to towing there’s no such thing as overkill, just extra safety margin. I towed my Canyon back from South Carolina with the Dodge and it was “more than adequate”. The Canyon is certainly more comfortable though, as you would expect.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,835 Posts
I owned two of the big D-max's and loved them both. But my life changed and a behemoth truck was just no longer practical. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed by the D-max junior and opted for the V6 instead, but if you need the big brother, you won't be disappointed. Tons of power and economy when towing/hauling.

·
Registered
2022 zr2 ccsb diesel Colorado
221 Posts
I had a 19 ram CCLB 3500 i just sold, miss the 1k torque and the one and only time i towed with it was majestic! if you're towing nothing is too much lol. rated for 21 or 23k towing and 4400 payload she was rough on bumpy roads with 37's LOL.

When i buy another HD truck itll be a GMC for sure, if i was to buy a 2500 i would go ram for the coil over rear suspension. Wishing it came with CV's like the Chevy and it would be a dream for daily Driving aside from the hassle of parking it.

·
Registered
21 AT4 CCSB Desert Sand Mini Max
142 Posts
I owned two of the big D-max's and loved them both. But my life changed and a behemoth truck was just no longer practical. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed by the D-max junior and opted for the V6 instead, but if you need the big brother, you won't be disappointed. Tons of power and economy when towing/hauling.
What!! Tom S drives a gasser? Well alrighty then.

·
Registered
353 Posts
View attachment 428340
View attachment 428339
must be an error in the configuration tool. Or the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Unless you selected the 6.2l gas V8.
Im actually going to go with that the package is just named "max trailering package" and not that you get the maxiumum tow because the tires sizes aren't even the same. **** like this should be illegal and when the LZ0 was annouched i saw multiple places reporting on the 13000 lb towing of the LM2 with the new package...

like this How the 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 Diesel Tows Two Tons More Than Last Year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts