Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys, but I can't see crap out of these trucks when backing up in dark and rain. What I thought was my driveway I was seeing in my sideview mirror (backup camera couldn't see crap) turned out to be the sidewalk that runs along my driveway, and SLAM, right into the tree at the corner of my driveway.

Anyhow, on to the reason for my post. What do you guys recommend? Should I buy a replacement and swap it myself? I see some on Ebay and various parts websites Prices are kind of all over the place, so I wonder what the quality is like. I definitely want it to come painted to match my paint. Or, should I bite the bullet and have the Chevy dealership do it, or maybe a local Fender Mender shop?

You might find this hard to believe, but this is the first time I've ever hit anything with a vehicle in my 27 years of driving, and it's quite embarrassing that this happened. Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Grille Tire

·
Premium Member
2015 Canyon
443 Posts
For me, I'd buy a used one and then attempt to repair the dented one at a later time. Taking it to a dealership will, well, you know... giggity

A fender-mender shop could probably bend it back into shape, but it may also have a small permanent crease where the damage occurred. Especially in the plastic pieces. For currency purposes (and if you have one near you), I'd go to a dent repair shop and see what they say.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leave it. Any truck used as a truck gets dents like that.
The thought definitely crossed my mind! Now I know why I see so many trucks on the road that look like they backed into a basketball pole or something like that. I'm really glad it didn't touch my tailgate. But, seriously, this truck is only like 6 months old and I take pretty good care of it, so I probably wouldn't be able to live with it looking like that.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
247 Posts
Ugh… I feel for you. I did something similar on my 2006. Did not see a small guard rail while backing up in a snow storm. In that case, I bought an aftermarket one on Amazon and painted it.

Yes, it is a truck, but I like to keep it looking like new as much as possible.

Stay clear of the dealer. I would look for a clean junk yard one. Look for a LKQ pick your part in your area, eBay or car-part.com. Maybe a good excuse for a heavy duty off-road replacement….?

Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
474 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I can't see crap out of these trucks when backing up in dark and rain. What I thought was my driveway I was seeing in my sideview mirror (backup camera couldn't see crap) turned out to be the sidewalk that runs along my driveway, and SLAM, right into the tree at the corner of my driveway.

Anyhow, on to the reason for my post. What do you guys recommend? Should I buy a replacement and swap it myself? I see some on Ebay and various parts websites Prices are kind of all over the place, so I wonder what the quality is like. I definitely want it to come painted to match my paint. Or, should I bite the bullet and have the Chevy dealership do it, or maybe a local Fender Mender shop?

You might find this hard to believe, but this is the first time I've ever hit anything with a vehicle in my 27 years of driving, and it's quite embarrassing that this happened. View attachment 434968 View attachment 434969
I added extra reverse lights to my bumper for this exact reason, after I tinted the front windows I couldn't see a thing at night and the camera wasn't enough for me, after the back up lights it makes a huge difference. Would like to add that I also have LEDs for reverse lights and they aren't enough.

I think the dealership would be too expensive, and they'd probably outsource the job to a local shop anyway, so might as well take it to a reputable local body shop and get it done cheaper, might even be covered by insurance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@NHlorado , @Abe17ZR2 @SteveSzinNC
Thank, guys. I'm trying to avoid insurance and/or having it show on CarFax and all of that. I searched my local LKQ and they don't have any 2015-2022 Colorados at all. I'd probably have to wait a long time to either find a used one on Ebay or at LKQ, especially in the right paint color. I think I'm going to just order the full assembly, painted to match, from these guys: bumpersthatdeliver.com (about $730 total delivered). I priced up all the individual plastic parts, plus the painted shell from various sources, and it wouldn't be much cheaper than that.

@Abe17ZR2 , can you tell me more about your backup light system? I definitely need to figure something out. There's no lighting on my street near my driveway.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
One of the advantages of a lot of chrome is that you don't have to color match.

I was considering replacing my 2015 Canyon rear bumper with an aftermarket bumper at one point, never got around to it. Part of my concern was the black powder coat might clash with the chrome on my SLT.

Another light option would be to add Canyon taillights to your Colorado - my Canyon backup lights lit of the world behind me quite well.

Reactions: BrianVT

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I'm starting to look at aftermarket bumpers with cutouts for lights. Oh boy....

Reactions: Abe17ZR2

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
492 Posts
I would take it to a body shop, tell them you are paying out of your own pocket, (different pricing) and have it fixed. Just bite the bullet and chalk it up as a life experience. As far as the embarrassment part of it goes…. I backed over my well pump head, (white plastic pipe sticking up in the back yard) with our Kubota RTV 900! It wasn’t dark and it wasn’t raining. The side by side has excellent visibility, except for Whiskey Girl in the back, and the well is in the exact same place that it has been for the last 45 years. I was obviously piloting the cranial starship through the rectal galaxy and combined with a loss of brain accident mauled that motha’ up. It’s just life, s*** happens. $1500.00 to fix the well. Feel better now?

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
474 Posts
@NHlorado , @Abe17ZR2 @SteveSzinNC
Thank, guys. I'm trying to avoid insurance and/or having it show on CarFax and all of that. I searched my local LKQ and they don't have any 2015-2022 Colorados at all. I'd probably have to wait a long time to either find a used one on Ebay or at LKQ, especially in the right paint color. I think I'm going to just order the full assembly, painted to match, from these guys: bumpersthatdeliver.com (about $730 total delivered). I priced up all the individual plastic parts, plus the painted shell from various sources, and it wouldn't be much cheaper than that.

@Abe17ZR2 , can you tell me more about your backup light system? I definitely need to figure something out. There's no lighting on my street near my driveway.

I used this video for reference and bought the lights in the link, this channel is great for us beginners along with fellow member @fondupot , his channel is also great

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 Summit White
107 Posts
Never tried to locate a bumper, but I found a brand new white "take-off" tailgate on Ebay for my Colly. Seems like some idiot (me) tried to back up with the tailgate down while towing a trailer and it and the trailer jack had a minor disagreement. All I did was change out the trim and popped it on. Easy-peezy.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bumper.
I did $4,500 worth of damage of the first day of ownership with my truck when I backed into a tree.

As far as lighting for pick up trucks have always been known for poor reverse lighting.

I have a set of Hitch Lights on my truck:
Watch Rectangle Clock Material property Font

Bumper bumper replacement should not be too difficult of a job to tackle yourself.

If you decide factory style. (shop arround and you might get one the coloryou have now)

And there is tons of aftermarket chioces out there

Here is my Hitch Light Set Up:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Here they are on at night: (Reflecting off the snow)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys. I ended up going with these for my lighting solution. Ordered on Amazon. Had to grind down the inside a little to fit over the diameter of the square hitch tube, but it's nice and snug and the lights are plenty bright at night. I wired into the reverse wire (center gray wire) of the 7 pin trailer plug. Amazon Link
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle registration plate
Camera accessory Gadget Camera Font Cameras & optics

I also pulled off the corner step and tried to bang/pry out my dent some. Got it to come out some, but then the corner step didn't want to slide back into place very well because all of the sheet metal is so out of place now. Probably looks worse now than it did before, but oh well. I ended up ordering the OEM style bumper replacement. I'll post a final picture once it's delivered and installed. I looked at several aftermarket options, but was just nervous that I wouldn't like the bulky look of them, plus quite a few had the sensor holes, which my truck doesn't have. I also don't want my hitch hidden behind the license plate, which is another style some of the aftermarket ones have. I'll think I'll be happier with the stock look - also much cheaper.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear about your bumper.
I did $4,500 worth of damage of the first day of ownership with my truck when I backed into a tree.

As far as lighting for pick up trucks have always been known for poor reverse lighting.

I have a set of Hitch Lights on my truck:
View attachment 434998

Bumper bumper replacement should not be too difficult of a job to tackle yourself.

If you decide factory style. (shop arround and you might get one the coloryou have now)

And there is tons of aftermarket chioces out there

Here is my Hitch Light Set Up:

View attachment 434999

Here they are on at night: (Reflecting off the snow)

View attachment 435000
I actually ended up ordering something similar before seeing your post. I just posted it above. Nice setup! I actually wish those hitch steps that you have would have lights in them. I started looking for something like that, but didn't like the one or two that I found. Another option is the Anzo corner step lights, but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,878 Posts
I actually ended up ordering something similar before seeing your post. I just posted it above. Nice setup! I actually wish those hitch steps that you have would have lights in them. I started looking for something like that, but didn't like the one or two that I found. Another option is the Anzo corner step lights, but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere.
Those Anzo ones have sort of disappeared, Was like the 1st set of LED Tail Lights that they made for our trucks.
They seemed to of stopped making them. And there is no real word of why.

Reactions: BrianVT
1 - 19 of 19 Posts