Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thoughts at 30K Miles (Now 40K Update Added)

I have added 40K Update to end.
It has gotten much better!

Forgive me for all this- but below are my likes, my dislikes, and what I'll do next to keep this going.

I traded my Crew Cab Frontier(06) for my used 16 Ext Cab Z71 a week before Christmas last year. I'd had the Frontier since new with 110K miles on it. Seeing the Green Ext Cab at the dealer for a couple of months just grew on me. It had 19K on it, and was one of the first 16's off the line.

So it has 30K on it now. First off- what I love: The 8 inch touchscreen with USB and BT; The seat comfort; and the appearance of truck. I LOVE the gas mileage, as my Frontier would get me 17 MPG, and my last 3000 mile avg on the Chevy is 20.9.

What I hate: The chug and bump shifting- dealer has had it twice and done the flash's and its no better. The TIRES- my GY Adventure AT's are worn down enough that for winter I need to replace. I always felt they rode extremely hard as well, and never tracked well.

Suspension/Steering- At interstate speeds- changing lanes is tougher than normal- as it seems to drift. Actually it seems to drift even on straightaways. Years ago- when cars had Idler arms that were worn- this is what it feels like. I am not sure the perception of feeling of hydraulic vs electric PS. On rougher expansion joints, it feels like I get "bump steer" through the wheel. Sometimes it even makes the Extended Cab rear doors make noise.

As this is my first Extended Cab Truck- I am not sure if they are inherently more susceptible to rear door noise- as there is no pillar there like in a Crew Cab?

I've read up on few things here- such as the drifting. I've had dealer check out front end- and of course nothing. I paid them $90 for an alignment- but no change. The rough ride and bump steer I am attributing to a shock. The tires- I have never had a Good Goodyear tire except my old Eagle GT+4's on my Taurus SHO. I've had 4 different sets since- and my feeling is they are just horrible and overpriced crap who depend on new vehicle sales.

What will I do next?
I want to go with a bigger tire to void the skateboard wheel look.
265/65x17 are no brainer- 265/70x17 with level kit.
I will probably get the Bilstein 5100's everyone here loves, and go 265/70 for rubber.
On my Frontier, and also my wife's Xterra- we had Cooper AT3's which I loved the ride, appearance, and snow traction(3 mile descent leaving home and 3 mile ascent to get there) on my hilly/windy backroad. I will probably stick with AT3's.

Thx-
Chris

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I would bet that new tires well cure many of your ride/steering problems. The chug and bump shifting could be cured with a Pedal Commander, there is a looong thread here about it. I know it improved the drivability of my ZR.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The TIRES- my GY Adventure AT's are worn down enough that for winter I need to replace. I always felt they rode extremely hard as well, and never tracked well. Suspension/Steering- At interstate speeds- changing lanes is tougher than normal- as it seems to drift. Actually it seems to drift even on straightaways. Years ago- when cars had Idler arms that were worn- this is what it feels like. I am not sure the perception of feeling of hydraulic vs electric PS. On rougher expansion joints, it feels like I get "bump steer" through the wheel. Sometimes it even makes the Extended Cab rear doors make noise. As this is my first Extended Cab Truck- I am not sure if they are inherently more susceptible to rear door noise- as there is no pillar there like in a Crew Cab? I've read up on few things here- such as the drifting. I've had dealer check out front end- and of course nothing. I paid them $90 for an alignment- but no change. The rough ride and bump steer I am attributing to a shock. Thx- Chris
Hey Chris. .. great write up! someone just posted a new flash (I think it is new) and says his chug and shudder is gone after even 500 miles of driving. If I can find it I'll post a link, but it was in the last 2 days.

As far as tires, I know there are 1 or 2 favorites here on the Forum, but after owning both a 2005 Colorado and 2010 Colorado LT2 for 7 years I bought and replaced the original tires with Bridgstone Dueller AT RH-S (265-70R17) and they had none of the characteristics you have had. The theses tires do not wander, are smooth riding, long wearing and very good on icy snow, and dry handling. The ride was much smoother and predictable then other AT type tires I've tried for the past 25 years. I hope they keep the Duellers around since they were updated just a year or two ago. I have a 2017 Colorado LT and when the tires need replacing them, I'll be looking at the Duellers again.
I have read that the Cooper AT3 is a good tire also, but read some mixed reviews in the larger sizes depending on what vehicle they were on.

" They listed ECM update wcc:11c31 which I cannot find anything on. but my truck drives completely different now. no more chug and shudder is gone. "

EDIT: Link to latest Shudder/Chug Flash Post #49

http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-...fting-issues-been-resolved-3.html#post4472058

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Forgive me for all this- but below are my likes, my dislikes, and what I'll do next to keep this going.

I traded my Crew Cab Frontier(06) for my used 16 Ext Cab Z71 a week before Christmas last year. I'd had the Frontier since new with 110K miles on it. Seeing the Green Ext Cab at the dealer for a couple of months just grew on me. It had 19K on it, and was one of the first 16's off the line.

So it has 30K on it now. First off- what I love: The 8 inch touchscreen with USB and BT; The seat comfort; and the appearance of truck. I LOVE the gas mileage, as my Frontier would get me 17 MPG, and my last 3000 mile avg on the Chevy is 20.9.

What I hate: The chug and bump shifting- dealer has had it twice and done the flash's and its no better. The TIRES- my GY Adventure AT's are worn down enough that for winter I need to replace. I always felt they rode extremely hard as well, and never tracked well.

Suspension/Steering- At interstate speeds- changing lanes is tougher than normal- as it seems to drift. Actually it seems to drift even on straightaways. Years ago- when cars had Idler arms that were worn- this is what it feels like. I am not sure the perception of feeling of hydraulic vs electric PS. On rougher expansion joints, it feels like I get "bump steer" through the wheel. Sometimes it even makes the Extended Cab rear doors make noise.

As this is my first Extended Cab Truck- I am not sure if they are inherently more susceptible to rear door noise- as there is no pillar there like in a Crew Cab?

I've read up on few things here- such as the drifting. I've had dealer check out front end- and of course nothing. I paid them $90 for an alignment- but no change. The rough ride and bump steer I am attributing to a shock. The tires- I have never had a Good Goodyear tire except my old Eagle GT+4's on my Taurus SHO. I've had 4 different sets since- and my feeling is they are just horrible and overpriced crap who depend on new vehicle sales.

What will I do next?
I will probably get the Bilstein 5100's everyone here loves, and go 265/70 for rubber.
On my Frontier, and also my wife's Xterra- we had Cooper AT3's which I loved the ride, appearance, and snow traction(3 mile descent leaving home and 3 mile ascent to get there) on my hilly/windy backroad. I will probably stick with AT3's.

Thx-
Chris
I am thinking about getting those tires or some BF goodrich. 265/65/17. Would you strongly recommend these tires..?

·
Read Only
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before I put AT3's on wife's Xterra- I had a set of Dueler AT Revo 2's- which had 30K on em and dead. The last 5K on them were squirrelly as heck.
Other AT's I've had were BFG Rugged Trail which rode very hard, and on an old Pathfinder I had a set of Dueler AT's(non-Revos) that were very good.
My Frontier had Cooper AT3's going on its 3rd Winter and they were very good. They did not have a lot of noise, they rode well, and they had mileage life, as well as ability to bite going down my 3 mile hill hill in bad weather.

The last set I got was the Xterra's and they were 265/65x17 and I got them for 170 each mounted/balance and tax. I really don't do any trail riding- so for me they just plain work- and I can't do better price wise up here in Mass.

I briefly gave a thought to Michelin LTX AT's, as I did have a set of the regular LTX's that I got 50K out of. Their only issue was winter traction after the first winter. I was ok- but would not have wanted my wife or kids to drive in bad weather with them.

Chris

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Hey Chris. .. great write up! someone just posted a new flash (I think it is new) and says his chug and shudder is gone after even 500 miles of driving. If I can find it I'll post a link, but it was in the last 2 days.

" They listed ECM update wcc:11c31 which I cannot find anything on. but my truck drives completely different now. no more chug and shudder is gone. "

EDIT: Link to latest Shudder/Chug Flash Post #49

http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-...fting-issues-been-resolved-3.html#post4472058
I'll have to call them and ask 'which' updates I have and compare to this one. I just looked at my paperwork and there's no numbers listed. When they first gave me an update (over a year ago??), it felt great for a while....3 months or so until I noticed it was 'same as usual'. I was running 87 octane and no PC back then.

I've asked them atleast once before about any updates - with no love.

This 'new flash' that you mention - is it for the 2017+?? The 2017's have a different transmission - so I would assume this wouldn't apply to 2016's.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I'll have to call them and ask 'which' updates I have and compare to this one. I just looked at my paperwork and there's no numbers listed. When they first gave me an update (over a year ago??), it felt great for a while....3 months or so until I noticed it was 'same as usual'. I was running 87 octane and no PC back then.

I've asked them atleast once before about any updates - with no love.

This 'new flash' that you mention - is it for the 2017+?? The 2017's have a different transmission - so I would assume this wouldn't apply to 2016's.
Post #49 in the referenced thread says " - my truck (2016 z71 4x4) " so, yeah it was a 2016.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Before I put AT3's on wife's Xterra- I had a set of Dueler AT Revo 2's- which had 30K on em and dead. The last 5K on them were squirrelly as heck.
Pathfinder I had a set of Dueler AT's(non-Revos) that were very good.

My Frontier had Cooper AT3's going on its 3rd Winter and they were very good. They did not have a lot of noise, they rode well, and they had mileage life, as well as ability to bite going down my 3 mile hill hill in bad weather.

Chris
Yes. . the Dueller's I mentioned and had two sets on my 2005 1nd 20qoColorado were Dueller RH-S .. not Revo. The RH-S I had over 54,000, went through 4 winters and I could have possibly gotten 8K to 10K miles but it was going into another winter and there was a $100 rebate so I bought a set at close to cost mounted, balanced and all.
I found the Dueller RH-S to be pretty quiet , very good handling, tracked well, and excellent traction in snow. I ran them at about 37psi on my Colorado. The Michelin Adventurer AT (seem to tend to oversteer) I have on my 2017 Colorado are quiet, but not as good handling at the Dueller RH-S I've had on the previous two Colorados in 265-70/17 size.

Some tires seem to just work well on certain vehicles and I think the Dueller RH-S hit that sweet spot without breaking the bank. I am sure there are better off road AT tires, but for snow, wet, dry roads and the sand/gravel forest roads I sometimes travel they have worked very well for me. The Revo had less than stellar reviews and seem to be a softer rubber compound and different tread design.

Reactions: 286642

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I'll have to check out the RH-S's - I don't see them listed on the normal review sites.
Here's a link at Tirereack. Note: Some people confuse the models of tires and many reviews get mixed in with the RH-S reviews. This seems to happen with a lot of owner tire reviews I see on other tire sites as well. I see it on Amazon a lot with other things as well.
With tires, it always seems some do not get good performance and long life on them in spite of the "gentle driving style" they claim. I have owned two sets of these and they would go 60,000 miles for me and still have usable tread left for summer driving.

I do see good reviews on those Coopers for also and others here have bought them.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bridgestone-dueler-a-t-rh-s/p/25743

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz4XL_byL1gIVT1cNCh2twASVEAYYASABEgIHNfD_BwE&tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+RH-S&partnum=67SR7ATRHSV2&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Bridgestone_Dueler_A%2FT_RH-S_Tire&code=yes&src=17540115&ci_sku=67SR7ATRHSV2&ci_sku=67SR7ATRHSV2&ci_src=17588969&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322456453!!!!112375988893!&ef_id=WPIq9AAAAOkZ0AC8:20170904115818:s

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am just about 30K miles on my 2016 Canyon All Terrain crew cab. Truck has the Pro Comp level kit and stock tires have about 5-8k left. I will go with the 265/70/17 on stock wheels with the Toyo All terrains, Nitto Tera Grapplers, or BFG KO2. I do not have a tune and have some of the shutter issues with the trans from time to time. If I drive in tow/haul mode this is almost completely gone. The dealer fixed the door panel rattle with the Bose system and the 8" display locking up and going out occasionally. No real complaints at this time, but that said, I miss my F150 FX4 and will go back in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I am just about 30K miles on my 2016 Canyon All Terrain crew cab. Truck has the Pro Comp level kit and stock tires have about 5-8k left. I will go with the 265/70/17 on stock wheels with the Toyo All terrains, Nitto Tera Grapplers, or BFG KO2. I do not have a tune and have some of the shutter issues with the trans from time to time. If I drive in tow/haul mode this is almost completely gone. The dealer fixed the door panel rattle with the Bose system and the 8" display locking up and going out occasionally. No real complaints at this time, but that said, I miss my F150 FX4 and will go back in a couple of years.
BFG K02...love them so far.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
There are some realities here that need to be considered. I come from a family with people who have or are working for Goodyear, Bridgestone/ Fierstone, Michelin/BFG ETC. Also at a past job I got to. Work with brand managers and engineers from many tier companies domestic or 4n. I still have many friends who work with many of the makers from racing and the engineering areas.

Need less to say you learn a lot from them over the years.

When it comes from tires and off road tires they are like tools. No one hire does it all, perfectly in al, terrains and or conditions. Each one is a compromise of performance in one area for the benefit of better performance in other areas. So matching west your needs are to the tire choice is key.

As god OE tires they are even more a compromise. They need to get at least 30k miles, pass drive by sound laws and cost little to nothing to the automaker.

This often leads to really poor OE tires often. The compromise for miles, mpg and sound can hurt. Also to Keep cost down older model tires are often offered.

Older designs are like older cars and do not always offer the latest in technology or compounding.

Case in point my last car has Michelin Pilots that we're older and we're crap in rain and even dry traction.

But there are new Pilots that are on the Z06 that are some of the best. Every brand has leading edge tires and out dated value products.

The tires on our trucks are not bad and better than most OE tires but there are still better out there even better Wranglers.

The Bridgestone on mine are much the same as not junk but not the best.

So if you want good tires match their performance highlight to your needs and you may be more satisfied.

·
Registered
458 Posts

What will I do next?

Thx-
Chris
My 17 does this & drives me nuts. I also have the 8sp thud. I had a 2010 Frontier & it drove 100 times better. I've even considered trading for a new PRO-4X. I've had a 16 & now the 17 & wish I'd had neither. Love the looks in & out & some features, but it just isn't pleasant to drive. Best of luck with yours!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Interesting.

I have not experienced any "chug-thump" or "thud" in out 2017 Colorado CCSB with the 3.6L and 8 speed.

Hope it stays free of that and we have just over 6,000 miles now.

·
Read Only
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK-
As a followup-
Got new shoes Thursday and it completely transformed the truck.
The Authority's just got too hard and too squirrely to ride them any longer. I think they still had 5/32's left above wear bars.
Gone is the vagueness and centering issues and bad ride over rough joints - although I will still replace front shocks with either Eibachs or Bilsteins for a bit better control.

Oh- I got Cooper AT3's in 245/70-17 due to a mixup in inventory at store. The 4 265/65-17's that showed were not there. For $680 out the door- I could not argue, and the Destination AT's were $120 more, and Dueler AT's were even more.

I am much happier!

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts

Other AT's I've had were BFG Rugged Trail which rode very hard, and on an old Pathfinder I had a set of Dueler AT's(non-Revos) that were very good.

The last set I got was the Xterra's and they were 265/65x17 and I got them for 170 each mounted/balance and tax. I really don't do any trail riding- so for me they just plain work- and I can't do better price wise up here in Mass.

I briefly gave a thought to Michelin LTX AT's, as I did have a set of the regular LTX's that I got 50K out of. Their only issue was winter traction after the first winter. I was ok- but would not have wanted my wife or kids to drive in bad weather with them.

Chris

I have the AT3 on my Duramax 4x4 Colorado and It drives better and lols great. They are a little noisy but the trade is worth it.
PS. I have some stock tires for sale anyone interested I’m on So. Cal. They have 10k on them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just under 29k miles and still love the way my truck drives. I have even adapted to be able to drive 30 MPH without having to let of the throttle every 20 secs. Truck still shifts smooth as butter, still cant believe an automatic trans can shift so smooth, if you arent watching the tach you would never know it shifted gears. Overall mileage is still right around 20 MPG with about 60/40 city and highway. Not bad for my lead foot. Drives great, very comfortable even on long drives.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.