Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Paint protection.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
The front "mud flaps" are technically called a WHEEL SPAT. They are there for aerodynamics, not sure if they add any protection to the truck, but I guess if you do most of your offroading in reverse, they might help.>:)

·
Registered
915 Posts
In wet conditions, water is released from the wheel around the circumference, and thrown forward as well as back. Anyone who has ridden a fenderless bicycle in the rain is familiar with this phenomenon.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
The front "mud flaps" are technically called a WHEEL SPAT. They are there for aerodynamics, not sure if they add any protection to the truck, but I guess if you do most of your offroading in reverse, they might help.>:)
^^^This

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Yes the front flaps are defectors for air for the tires. Tires are very un aerodynamic and they really do help.

The plastic on the front lower corner of the bed is for stone protection. If anyone has owned S10 or Canyon you may remember how the paint was stripped away from this very spot.

But Cary is spot on as they are aero devices for MPG.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry didn't read the post clearly enough...I thought he was referring to the small mud flaps behind the front tires...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Yes those small plastic pieces on the front bottom edge are air deflectors to aid in air movement past the front tire.

GM does extensive wind tunnel testing and often comes up with solutions to problem areas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.