Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A generic name gas holder that might fit perfectly at the back of the bed of the truck. Perhaps tie it down directly to the 2 hooks on each side of the bed?
I have seen previous posts here with the smaller containers and even 589Fab's mount for 2 1/2 gallon containers but nothing of this size or dimensions.

I have a low profile tonneau cover and a BedRug on mine so it would need to be mounted low.

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
70 Posts
I think I saw that on eBay. Like my dear father always said, you get what you pay for, sometimes less.

If you want to get one of those, I would go with a proven brand like RotoPax. I considered doing something similar, but my 2019 has the cap less gas tank. Not every nozzle will get past the two gates in filler neck and I think using that little funnel could be problematic. The RotoPax nozzle seemed too short for cap less filler neck.

I ended up adding two Jerrycan holders to my bed divider. There was a similar thread a while back
Best way to carry gas

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I saw that on eBay. Like my dear father always said, you get what you pay for, sometimes less.

If you want to get one of those, I would go with a proven brand like RotoPax. I considered doing something similar, but my 2019 has the cap less gas tank. Not every nozzle will get past the two gates in filler neck and I think using that little funnel could be problematic. The RotoPax nozzle seemed too short for cap less filler neck.

I ended up adding two Jerrycan holders to my bed divider. There was a similar thread a while back
Best way to carry gas
Thanks for the link. Just read it all. Good ideas there.
As per name brand. Sometimes I agree. Sometimes I'm proven wrong by marketing directors.
I have a 2018 Colorado with no gas cap and my VP jugs nozzle fits in fine. Just ordered 2 metal Jerrycans but they haven't arrived yet.
I just got an idea. Will post a photo if it seems workable in a few days. Cheap and hopefully effective.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Here is what I am doing for fuel storage, these fit almost perfectly in the bed behind the cab:
2 two gallon containers for Diesel
1 one and three quarter container for DEF (eventually will paint the container)

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

You could use all three for gasoline and have close to 6 gallons. If placed vertically 3 two gal containers and 1 one gallon container fit well also.

Reactions: 2018Midnight

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Lol. I have a 36 gallon tank and still carry a 3.5gallon Rotopax in the bed. Which leaks, unfortunately. Something gasketwise in the cap.

Your solution looks much better than mine for holding all that together. Thought I would flip the cam strap the other way so you don't have to walk around the truck to unlock it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I wouldn’t be able to reach through and unlatch even if it was on the other side as I’ve got 2 one gal water paxs mounted on the inside tent rack. I’ll finish it up tonight and post a pic - got pax all over the place, lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is what I am doing for fuel storage, these fit almost perfectly in the bed behind the cab:
2 two gallon containers for Diesel
1 one and three quarter container for DEF (eventually will paint the container)

View attachment 417755

You could use all three for gasoline and have close to 6 gallons. If placed vertically 3 two gal containers and 1 one gallon container fit well also.
Love this set up, might steal it for myself but with water and gasoline jugs for camping trips in the rockies

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
765 Posts
I just use fuel jugs. 2-5 gallon Yellow for the diesel & 1 clear for def. When full & needed, they get stored upright & ratchet strapped to bedslide. When traveling & not full, they get ratchet strapped to roof basket. Otherwise they are empty and hung from garage ceiling. It was the cheapest and most trouble free system I could come up with, no leakage yet. DEF does NOT crystallize in it either. Have made 2 leak free trips from coast to coast & MOAB.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have been using 5G Jerry cans for years but the new spouts and my advanced age I need to change things up. Those 34" flat 5G cans look like they would mount at the front of the bed just fine. I use a transfer pump now days to move fuel.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Lol. I have a 36 gallon tank and still carry a 3.5gallon Rotopax in the bed. Which leaks, unfortunately. Something gasketwise in the cap.

Your solution looks much better than mine for holding all that together. Thought I would flip the cam strap the other way so you don't have to walk around the truck to unlock it.
Here is the gap mentioned above, can only get about 1/3 of my forearm in there - can‘t reach the cam latch.

Hood Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts