Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Practice makes perfect.

I had one of the initial '15 Canyons. Built in Nov '14. It was the first in my area.
I went through the many recalls that accompanied this new generation vehicle. I kept a list if anyone is interested. A tad annoying but all were taken care of by my excellent dealer hassle free.
I did not experience any of the major annoyances listed on this board such as the infamous fluttering hood and steering wheel airbag squeaks. I did suffer through the much discussed transmission lugging issues and searching, but not to the extent many others on this board have. My truck eventually developed the steering column rattle/knock over rough surfaces (that is correctable under warranty,) and at about 13K miles, a whine in the rear end which I disliked hearing but never did anything about as I planned to turn it in for a new truck at 3 years (the old one went back with 27K miles on it.) I have read it is correctable under warranty. Overall, I rated my truck a '10' for my needs and purposes. After looking at the new Ridgeline I decided to stay with a Canyon and recently transitioned to a new '18 SLT.
I have noticed several improvements in this truck over the last one and give GM credit for improving it since it was originally introduced 3 years ago. Time does improve the breed.

The new engine and 8 speed tranny make it an entirely different driving experience. Smooth and efficient gear changes, improved torque management, greater flexibility and vastly different driveability. Thank you GM! It's unfortunate you didn't get it right the first time in your rush to market but better late than never.
Fuel economy seems better although it is still too new to know what it will do after some break-in mileage. I attribute this to the engine tranny efficiency and also the V6>V4 AFM system. BTW that is silent, seamless and unnoticeable in daily use.
There is more than enough power and speed. The drivetrain improvement makes it an entirely different truck.

There is now, finally, a 4WD indicator light on the dash. Miracles do happen!
On the other hand... still no decent LED DRL.
Electronics, good in the first version, are even better this time around.
No hood flutter; no squeaks; no rattles (yet), and better paint application. Fit and finish are an easy 10.
The OEM all weather floor mats are much more weathertech-like this time around and offer improved protection and even, indirectly, a better left foot dead pedal rest. I guess I can get rid of my ballet slippers and start wearing boots again.
The OEM bed mat and tailgate protector are very good and basically unchanged.
I was reluctant to have onboard Nav as I like Google Maps but this unit came with both Bose and Nav and like most options... it is too easy to get used to and appreciate. Hah, I am old enough to remember when I though an automatic tranny and electric windows were too posh.
The Bose seems much better than base level radio and the Nav is user friendly and intuitive.
Great news.. the rear cam is much better. Brighter, better resolution, broader field of vision, less marred by rain/dirt, and has the new hitch line-up graphic option. Nice! Thank you GM!

Bottom line...this is an improved truck from the original version as one might hope and expect. For those of you who have had some qualms about your first version trucks give the new ones a drive. You will be surprised and pleased.
I am glad GM cares.
A new version will be in the near future but the 2018 is a keeper.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Great review! I couldn't be happier with my '16. I never had any of the problems seen on many of the early trucks. Obviously the improvements continue and GM has taken a very serious approach to these trucks. There is a huge market for midsize trucks if they build them right. Buyers want smaller size but will not tolerate smaller quality and we have shown that we are willing to open our wallets wide for great trucks. I do think they need to start doing youtube videos where they tell us about all the improvements they are doing instead of having us try to figure it out.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Good to hear that they are making incremental improvements. Since I am looking at 2020/2021 for my replacement, I am expecting another leap in improvements. With the Jeep & Ford mid-size offerings in the marketplace by then, they should have some good targets to aim for.

I was a little surprised when I walked my GMC dealership Saturday while I was getting my oil changed: They had one $45K Canyon Denali on the lot, no other Canyons. Of course, the Sierras filled the lot, and from a quick glance, the number of FS Denalis was pretty high. Drove through the Autonation Chevy dealership by my house the other day, they must have had around 20 Colorados, ranging from WT, LT & Z71, with even an extended cab or two on their lot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
And it only took 4 years.

Now change the 2.8 DMax tranny to a 8L90 and a few more creature comforts in the cab (push-button start, seat memory and full electronic adjustment, Homelink, HID and LEDs etc. All seemingly inexpensive binned parts. Even the Terrain has this stuff.) to combat the 2019 Nissan, Jeep and Ford.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.