Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that when searching the forum I couldn’t find a clear answer to. When you unlock the door using the key and not the fob the horn starts to honk as part of the theft deterent system until you put the key in the ignition. If you fail to put it in the ignition within several seconds the alarm goes off. How does one go about disabling this feature? I can’t seem to find a configuration setting or control. If that is not possible then I welcome whatever physical bypass suggestions you all can come up with - even if it is as severe as yanking out the alarm system altogether.

Now before you reply with a “why don’t you just use the fob” question let me explain why this is a big deal for me. The nature of my work requires me to travel to secure facilities. Some of these facilities have electronic suppression and RF interference control systems. These security controls may interfere with or jam RFID based devices. So depending on which facility I’m at that day my fob may not work properly forcing me to rely on the physical key.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Arming the Alarm System
1. Turn off the vehicle.
2. Lock the vehicle with one of the
following:
. Use the Remote Keyless
Entry (RKE) transmitter.
. With a door open, press Q
on the interior of the door.
3. After 30 seconds the alarm
system will arm, and the
indicator light will begin to slowly
flash indicating the alarm system
is operating. Pressing Q on the
RKE transmitter a second time
will bypass the 30-second delay
and immediately arm the alarm
system.

The theft-deterrent alarm system will
not arm if the doors are locked with
the key.

If the driver door is opened without
first unlocking with the RKE
transmitter, the horn will chirp and
the lights will flash to indicate
pre-alarm. If the vehicle is not
started, or the door is not unlocked
by pressing K on the RKE
transmitter during the 10-second
pre-alarm, the alarm will be
activated.
If a door or the hood is opened
without first disarming the system,
the turn signals will flash and the
horn will sound for about
30 seconds. The alarm system will
then re-arm to monitor for the next
unauthorized event.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'm not sure but the Dealer may be able to turn PASS off so you would only have key entry and no alarm.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If they are the type of facilities I'm thinking of, no. No cell connectivity, and in some cases you might be required to surrender your phone altogether.

From impact's paste, looks like if you locked your door with the key, you would avoid the chirp when you also unlocked it with the key.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
All thanks for the feedback - and yes Thunderbear, it’s that kind of facility. Since the facilities do not permit effective use of RFID fobs I manually lock the truck as I can’t use the RKE to lock it. Typically the way I do this is I exit the driver side, then move over to the passenger side to get my kit bag out of the front seat. Since the passenger door handle (outside) does not have a physical key slot I press the physical door lock/unlock button on the inside of the door by the inside door handle. That locks all doors and sets the alarm. So when I return later to leave when I insert my physical key into the driver side door handle the chirping starts.

Given the advice you all provided on the above posts I tried using the key to lock the driver side door from the outside instead of using the inside button. This locked all doors properly. When I returned I used my key to unlock the driver side door handle from the outside. As suggested that approach didn’t trigger the chirping.

So while that presents a workaround it is nevertheless not a particularly attractive one. As when I get out of the truck I now have to leave the driver side door open, cross over to the passenger side to get my kit bag, then because there is no key slot on the outside door handle I then have to close the door and cross back over to the driver side to lock the door using the physical key from the outside. That seems inefficient at best and annoying at worst so if there are other ideas at there I am all ears!!!

P.S. Impact - I encountered the excerpt you quoted in your post when I read the owners manual. Unfortunately following those steps didn’t address the problem for me. Now if you have figured out a sequence in there that maybe I’m missing that solves the problem please help me understand what you did - thanks!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
So while that presents a workaround it is nevertheless not a particularly attractive one. As when I get out of the truck I now have to leave the driver side door open, cross over to the passenger side to get my kit bag, then because there is no key slot on the outside door handle I then have to close the door and cross back over to the driver side to lock the door using the physical key from the outside. That seems inefficient at best and annoying at worst so if there are other ideas at there I am all ears!!!
Query:
You have a crew cab. Why isn't this kit in the seat behind you, instead of the passenger side?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Query:
You have a crew cab. Why isn't this kit in the seat behind you, instead of the passenger side?
What I was gonna suggest, instead of pas, put the tools in the rear. No more walking around twice.

·
Registered
851 Posts
P.S. Impact - I encountered the excerpt you quoted in your post when I read the owners manual. Unfortunately following those steps didn’t address the problem for me. Now if you have figured out a sequence in there that maybe I’m missing that solves the problem please help me understand what you did - thanks!

You can also manually lock every door by pushing down on the round button next to the window as you make your way around the truck until you get to the passenger side door but somehow I get the feeling that this solution would not be acceptable as well....:wink2:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
All this sounds like waaaay to much of a Hassle....

Solution --> Take the Cuda to work! :grin:

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
You can also manually lock every door by pushing down on the round button next to the window as you make your way around the truck until you get to the passenger side door but somehow I get the feeling that this solution would not be acceptable as well....:wink2:
My truck is across the street, but I thought that if you pushed the button down on the driver door or shot-gun passenger door, it armed the system same as using the door lock button on the doors ----> I thought for sure pushing that button down locked all of the doors. Will try to check tonight.

All this sounds like waaaay to much of a Hassle....

Solution --> Take the Cuda to work! :grin:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good suggestions - especially taking the Cuda to work! ( I also have a Challenger hot rod but it’s not my DD). The only reason I don’t use the rear seat is I have a custom fitted crate that fits my kit bags in the front floor of the passenger seat. There isn’t enough room in the space behind the front seat floorboard and the back seat itself. Although I suppose I could build me a different crate for my kit bags and fit It atop the seat in the back. That might actually work. Thanks for that suggestion- I guess in hindsight that qualifies as a DOH moment for me, huh - lol. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Although I suppose I could build me a different crate for my kit bags and fit It atop the seat in the back.
The back seats in my crew cab are folded down to allow for parcels, groceries and the dog. It makes for a nice flat surface if that is any help to you and your custom kit crate. You can also elect to just fold one of the two if you wish depending on your surface requirements.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
If they are the type of facilities I'm thinking of, no. No cell connectivity, and in some cases you might be required to surrender your phone altogether.

From impact's paste, looks like if you locked your door with the key, you would avoid the chirp when you also unlocked it with the key.
Just curious, what kind of facilities are you thinking of?

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
OK, I was half right, half wrong, or was my cup half full/empty?

If you push the nub by the window on the driver side down, it will lock all of the doors. If you push the nub on the front passenger door down, it only locks that door. I have no idea if it sets the alarm, as I didn't think my neighbors wanted me to test that at 6 AM this morning.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.