Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
But a national manufacturer doesn't get you to regional differences, which is what this thread is about (that and age differences).

Quite frankly, again except for the fact this is a Colorado/Canyon forum, the term "camper shell" to me would mean some old stripped out truck camper--a potential project. But because this is for Colorados and Canyons, it's sort of obvious what's referred to. Also, I've never heard of a topper.
Back when I was growing up in California they were always called "camper shells" because it was just a shell and didn't have any amenities like a slide-in camper. Over the years I've had to adjust what I refer to them as, both due to regional as well as generational changes in what people called them. Shell, camper shell, topper, cap, etc. Canopy seems to be another PNW-ism and Canadianism. :D

How about referring to freeways as "the <number>?" :D "Take the 5 to the 101..."

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
72 Posts
Talk about regional differences, they exist for sure. I am in Ontario. Here many people say BBQ "I am BBQing..." when talking about a gas grill but my American friends about have a hemorrhage over such horrendous misuse of a term. lol

Here a hard or soft bed cover that it bed rail height is a Tonneau Cover. Full size covers like Leer/ARE are Toppers or sometimes caps. Never campers.
A truck based camping unit would be a slide-in camper or truck camper
A camper/camping trailer is generic and could refer to pop-up or travel trailer. Sometimes called an RV trailer.
RV without other distinction would be a self-propelled.

Here is something I guess is regional that I hear A LOT on YouTube videos that are how-to based: "Go ahead" as in, "I will go ahead and install this bolt." or "I am going to go ahead and move this bracket." The one that really made me LOL was, "I am going to go ahead and back up." :D 'go ahead' could be deleted from all of those.

KInda like "I am going to", "I'm a going to", "I am fixing to", "I am a fixing to" I find it quite amusing.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
How about referring to freeways as "the <number>?" :D "Take the 5 to the 101..."
Varies, locally it typically seems to be I-5, but often only 405. Ditto on the state ones, but in the inverse--the larger the number the less likely Hwy will proceed it.

Also regional, the long term older locals call it Boeings for some reason--when they're not referring to something owned by Boeing.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Suspect the terms are a combination of regional first then generational, with overlap stemming from a propensity of the way an individual tends to think or more specifically the way they verbally express their thought. Some are slightly more literal in their thinking thus word choice, others slightly more figurative in the way their thoughts make it to verbal expression (less so in written/typed form as one can see the text beforehand and edit).

Some people transition while speaking, moving back and forth between literal and figurative (boy is that fun). It is very noticeable when it moves beyond slightly to predominantly literal vs. figurative thinking & verbal expression.

June ‘82 on leave (vacation speak in the military) visiting my cousin (female) in New Jersey. We went to the ‘Jersey Shore’ for a weekend. As a southwestern guy in a house with 5 beautiful northeastern young ladies the conversation eventually turned to colloquialisms. Generationally we were the same age, so the regional aspect was what we noticed and laughed about.
Today, most of my friends are in two groups, those their 70’s - 90’s and those 35-45-ish. I would never use the term ‘dope’ with my friends in the 70-90 age group.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Apparently now the term "camper" includes boats with outboard motors! :rolleyes: (The article only mentions two vehicles, but there is something in the far background that might be a trailer if there were three vehicles involved.)

·
Registered
2020 Z71 4x4 ECLB Trail Runner
26 Posts
If someone told me camper I would think of 4 possibilities, slide in pick up, pull trailer, pop up trailer, or fifth wheel trailer. Some might add motor home to that list too. So there's five! Camper to me is way too vague.
Yet back in the day, when slide in campers were very common and popular, you could buy trucks with the “Camper Package“ to better handle heavy slide ins. They were not called “Slide in Camper Package”, just Camper Package, because everybody knew a camper was a slide in.

Pickups in the 70s often had the Camper Package badging.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Pickups in the 70s often had the Camper Package badging.
I think it was called "Camper Special" for Fords, and I'm pretty sure that old cherry Ford PU in my neighborhood is such. It also has an "Explorer" ornament on the hood. Next time I walk by I'll try to remember to confirm.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
My Granddad had a Ford Camper Special with the slide in Camper in the back

·
Registered
2020 Z71 4x4 ECLB Trail Runner
26 Posts
I think it was called "Camper Special" for Fords, and I'm pretty sure that old cherry Ford PU in my neighborhood is such. It also has an "Explorer" ornament on the hood. Next time I walk by I'll try to remember to confirm.
You are correct. Camper Special.

My mechanic had a 70’s Ford in his shop on Monday and we were looking at the badge. I knew package felt off a bit.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts