Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I just gave my daughter my North Face 'CAMPER' last week.
My REI CAMPER (maybe even the model pictured) was stolen at a Public Storage. Probably a homeless person who could use it more than me. My wife isn't exactly the hiking type. Imagine Peggy Bundy in the woods!

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
My REI CAMPER (maybe even the model pictured) was stolen at a Public Storage. Probably a homeless person who could use it more than me. My wife isn't exactly the hiking type. Imagine Peggy Bundy in the woods!
In our younger days, my wife was a bit more adventuresome. Not so much today. Hard to admit I have outgrown it. If I had young kids, or even young grandkids, I might make an effort. My last tent camping was actually done with my granddaughter on Indian Princess campouts.

My Jeep Wrangler was broken into many years ago. The thief got a few dollars in change, some sentimental items, my CDs that were already all downloaded to an MP3, a really neat backpacking hammock my daughter gave me and was only used twice, and some brand new rope. Considering this was in Fort Worth, where the west begins, the old adage about hanging with a new rope does come to mind.

Sure it was homeless person, I was most upset about the sentimental items, some given to me by my Godmother when I was 7 years old, and the hammock. But I couldn't be too mad, at least he simply unzipped the window to crawl in and stole the items. He could have taken a knife to the soft top and cost me some bucks, plus it was raining that day.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
499 Posts
In Hawaii, we called them camper shells for the shell/topper/cap types. Never saw a trailered camper until I moved to the continental 48 because no one has them in Hawaii. If anything, it would have been considered a mobile home. It probably wasn't until my late teens/early 20's that I realized folks actually towed them everywhere instead of just parking them in trailer parks. Truly a cause of literally no exposure to that market.

Now, I would consider the trailered types a "travel trailer" or "camper trailer". The slide-in's are exactly that, a slide-in camper.

·
Banned
178 Posts
I bet RV sales people probably really hate the term.

Salesperson: "Hi folks, what are you looking for today?"

Customer: "We're looking for a camper."

Salesperson: [Thinking to himself: No feces Sherlock.] Well that's good, because that's what we sell here at _ RV. What type of an RV do you want to look at?
Probably not, LOL what am I reading? No feces Sherlock!?? You need to go back to work already.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Not where I come from. (The Pacific Northwest.)

There are regional differences. I remember back in about 1970 a New York grocery clerk staring blankly when we asked her where the pop was located.
Here is a Pacific Northwest dealer who handily lists the categories across the top of their homepage

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here is a Pacific Northwest dealer who handily lists the categories across the top of their homepage
That's a national chain, so not really evidence of what's said and done here, but interesting they refer to travel trailers and then "small campers." Why not small travel trailers, or why even categorize them separately.

This one that is local refers to "tent campers."

I'm going to have to remember where I saw actual campers at a dealer. There was one place where I was shocked how many they had in stock since I see so few on the road.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well this thread has been interesting reading. Progressing from a 'Quasimoto' back pack, tent on my motorcycle and then in the back of the car, pop up, white box travel trailer (aka SOB "Some Other Brand" in Airstream-speak), 25 years in 3 Airstreams, and now a MotorCoach, all the postings reveal to me that too many people have excess time on their hands for these semantics.
Just get out there and do it, no matter what you call these things! No matter how or in what you CAMP, it is GREAT!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
. . . . all the postings reveal to me that too many people have excess time on their hands for these semantics.
I just like these sorts of things. A similar item, I learned from a friend that what we call a sloppy joe is referred to in their area as a BBQ. Not sure what they call a charcoal grill, which is what we would call a BBQ.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is kinda funny. While I certainly agree with the sentiment of "just go camping" I kind of have to laugh about all the people taking the time to complain about people taking the time to talk about something that piqued their interest on a medium invented for people to take the time to talk about things that interest them.

I'm also from the PNW, but my family is mostly New Englanders and I remember the eye opening day as a tyke when I realized my friends were talking about "soda' when they kept saying "pop." the BBQ/grill thing continues to trip me up to this day. I too, find this stuff cool and interesting.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
. . . the BBQ/grill thing continues to trip me up to this day. I too, find this stuff cool and interesting.
If you're talking about charcoal versus gas I attribute part of that to just being lazy or imprecise with language. I do that too. It's sort of like saying "hot water heater." I have to consciously think to not refer to my grill as a BBQ and to avoid saying hot.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
when some one says "camper" I ask what type, and usually they have this clueless look. hey, it's a camper

to me a trailer is something you carry your race car/utv on or you live in down by the river

I say soda, my nephews stopped in one time and said Coke, so I got them a couple bottles of coke, everything is coke to them

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here's another terminology difference I just noted from two for sale threads on this site. "Camper shell." In my area we call those things canopies, and as proof:

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Here's another terminology difference I just noted from two for sale threads on this site. "Camper shell." In my area we call those things canopies, and as proof:

I call them "toppers" others I now call them Camper shell

·
Registered
859 Posts
There are definitely hybrid versions, I have a Schutt Industries Xventure and I consider it a trailer:

If it had an enclosed sleeping area like the Happier Campers I would consider it a camper trailer:

Slide-In Camper:

Canopy Camper: does not have a floor and does not sit on the bed rails for support:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts

Proof a dealer isn't calling them what the manufacturers call them. ;) Leer, A.R.E, SnugTop, and Century...the biggest names in the industry...all refer to them as "truck caps" and, alternatively, "toppers" and "camper shells."

Ah, boredom...

Reactions: streamintrip

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So to join in the fun here..... Born and raised small town B.C resident for over 50 years.
Here is our lingo on camping rigs....
Tent is a canvas or fabric assemble rods and pegs.

Canopy is a hard or soft truck bed cover

Camper is a slide in your pick up truck unit with bed,stove, cupboards, toilet, dining table.

Tent Trailer us a trailer with canvas pop up, fiberglass roof.

Travel trailer is a bumper pull ,full size box house on wheels.

5th wheel is a travel trailer pulled by in bed hitch

RV is self powered house on wheels.

No one around here calls a travel trailer a camper. Only one thing is called a camper around here, and that is a slide in truck bed unit, and because trucks are more common than cars here, a lot of people have a camper .
So region by region you will hear different call names.In the end camping is a staple in B.C. , and to bre enjoyed by all.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
So to join in the fun here..... Born and raised small town B.C resident for over 50 years.
Here is our lingo on camping rigs....
Tent is a canvas or fabric assemble rods and pegs.

Canopy is a hard or soft truck bed cover

Camper is a slide in your pick up truck unit with bed,stove, cupboards, toilet, dining table.

Tent Trailer us a trailer with canvas pop up, fiberglass roof.

Travel trailer is a bumper pull ,full size box house on wheels.

5th wheel is a travel trailer pulled by in bed hitch

RV is self powered house on wheels.

No one around here calls a travel trailer a camper. Only one thing is called a camper around here, and that is a slide in truck bed unit, and because trucks are more common than cars here, a lot of people have a camper .
So region by region you will hear different call names.In the end camping is a staple in B.C. , and to bre enjoyed by all.
I would agree with all of that for Washington state lingo, except for RV, which I consider a very broad term (even covering three wheel and quad off-road vehicles). We use the term motorhome for that. Also, canopy for a cover, but I should use it more since I have a hard time remembering how to spell tonneau. ;)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Proof a dealer isn't calling them what the manufacturers call them. ;) Leer, A.R.E, SnugTop, and Century...the biggest names in the industry...all refer to them as "truck caps" and, alternatively, "toppers" and "camper shells."

Ah, boredom...
But a national manufacturer doesn't get you to regional differences, which is what this thread is about (that and age differences).

Quite frankly, again except for the fact this is a Colorado/Canyon forum, the term "camper shell" to me would mean some old stripped out truck camper--a potential project. But because this is for Colorados and Canyons, it's sort of obvious what's referred to. Also, I've never heard of a topper.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts