Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally starting to get use to people using the term camper to describe a trailer. I actually know what to expect when I click a link. Perhaps it's a bit easier here given I doubt anyone would put a true camper on a Colorado. So it's sort of like if this were a British forum I'd know that a carovan wasn't a group of people travelling together.

But I'm wondering what the deal is. Is this a regional thing, sort of like soda and pop? Or is it an age thing, where younger people are more likely to call a trailer a camper?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, this is a camper.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Your link is a “slide-in camper.” Camper is just a generic term that can be applied to any number things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your link is a “slide-in camper.” Camper is just a generic term that can be applied to any number things.
Not where I come from. (The Pacific Northwest.)

There are regional differences. I remember back in about 1970 a New York grocery clerk staring blankly when we asked her where the pop was located.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Not where I come from. (The Pacific Northwest.)

There are regional differences. I remember back in about 1970 a New York grocery clerk staring blankly when we asked her where the pop was located.
Pop/Soda/Coke are colloquialisms, and camper may be one where you’re from but that doesn’t mean it’s one everywhere else. It’s not uncommon to hear camper trailer (travel trailer), pop-up camper (tent trailer), slide-in camper (truck camper), etc. Camper doesn’t just mean truck/slide-in camper and isn’t the same as comparing it to the use of pop/soda, IMO.

When someone says camper I know it can mean any number of things. That’s what I was trying to convey with my previous post. Not everyone everywhere shares your singular definition of camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 93Duc and White016

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
I have camped, thus I am a camper. I used to camp in a tent, but not I camp in a camper, more appropriately, a pop-up camper or a tent camper, or, yes, a trailer.

We sometimes refer to a pop-up camper or other sort of camper trailer as a travel trailer, but wasn't the U-Haul trailer I used to haul a lot of my stuff to Texas when I moved her a travel(ing) trailer?

The American language can be so confusing. But at least we don't call the hood of our truck a ladies' hat.

(Now I guess I need to go google what a "lame AF thread" means. - oh my! Should have skipped that one.)

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
You could have googled it instead of starting another lame AF thread.
turns out this thread isn't so lame after all, it ended up being pretty entertaining. ahahaha

Well now that I think about it, ya, it's lame I guess, but still very entertaining.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
="CaryBosse, post: 5281231, member: 10

(Now I guess I need to go google what a "lame AF thread" means. - oh my! Should have skipped that one.)
Sorry I'm just curious about the English language and wonder why people would use language that is so imprecise. If you say "trailer" or even better "travel trailer" no one wonders what you mean.

BTW, my favorite British thing was Diana Rigg had a TV show in the 70's called Diana, where she moved to the US from England. One joke was she had to learn to quit asking men to knock her up.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Exactly, and that's what I'm asking about. Specifically is it regional or age related (or something else entirely)?
If I had to guess then I'd say it's regional. Folks in the PNW are odd ducks in a lot of ways. :D

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Exactly, and that's what I'm asking about. Specifically is it regional or age related (or something else entirely)?
If someone told me camper I would think of 4 possibilities, slide in pick up, pull trailer, pop up trailer, or fifth wheel trailer. Some might add motor home to that list too. So there's five! Camper to me is way too vague.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I have camped, thus I am a camper. I used to camp in a tent, but not I camp in a camper, more appropriately, a pop-up camper or a tent camper, or, yes, a trailer.

We sometimes refer to a pop-up camper or other sort of camper trailer as a travel trailer, but wasn't the U-Haul trailer I used to haul a lot of my stuff to Texas when I moved her a travel(ing) trailer?

The American language can be so confusing. But at least we don't call the hood of our truck a ladies' hat.

All true but I don't think that Uhaul was a "travel" trailer. It's a moving trailer, or box trailer, or enclosed trail....here we go again! Isn't English grand?!?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If someone told me camper I would think of 4 possibilities, slide in pick up, pull trailer, pop up trailer, or filth wheel trailer. Some might add motor home to that list too. So there's five! Camper to me is way too vague.
I bet RV sales people probably really hate the term.

Salesperson: "Hi folks, what are you looking for today?"

Customer: "We're looking for a camper."

Salesperson: [Thinking to himself: No feces Sherlock.] Well that's good, because that's what we sell here at _ RV. What type of an RV do you want to look at?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
)
Maybe I should go into REI and ask for a camper! Because this was the first camper I owned using a broad definition of camper.

OMG, you search for backpack on REI's site and they have over 1,000 results!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
In a similar vein, how about RV vs camper/travel trailer? :D RV can be applied to either a motorized or tow-behind vehicle, but I'd wager that a lot of people classify an RV as a powered vehicle (Class A, B, C, diesel pusher/coach, etc) and find people that call their trailer an RV annoying. :D

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
I bet RV sales people probably really hate the term.

Salesperson: "Hi folks, what are you looking for today?"

Customer: "We're looking for a camper."

Salesperson: [Thinking to himself: No feces Sherlock.] Well that's good, because that's what we sell here at _ RV. What type of an RV do you want to look at?
A good salesperson is thinking to himself: "How do I talk this family from a pop-up camper to a Class A Motorhome this afternoon?"

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In a similar vein, how about RV vs camper/travel trailer? :D RV can be applied to either a motorized or tow-behind vehicle, but I'd wager that a lot of people classify an RV as a powered vehicle (Class A, B, C, diesel pusher/coach, etc) and find people that call their trailer an RV annoying. :D
I try to only use the term RV when referring to something that matters across types, like maybe the toilet or the refrigerator--although even that's changing on some motorhomes. Some have home style refrigerators and ceramic toilets!

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
Maybe I should go into REI and ask for a camper! Because this was the first camper I owned using a broad definition of camper.

OMG, you search for backpack on REI's site and they have over 1,000 results!
Well, I just gave my daughter my North Face 'CAMPER' last week. I have been married 35 years and I owned it at least a year or two before then. Served me well, but I don't see myself as a 'primitive camper' anymore. A real mattress has spoiled me (and the heated mattress in my CAMPER TRAILER has really spoiled me on a few cold nights.) I like visiting the REI store by me, but my bones look at some of the gear and I think you can hear them start creaking.

When I purchased my North Face CAMPER, the choices, at least in Baton Rouge, for quality gear were pretty limited. Only place to shop for top notch gear was a place called the Backpacker.

I think I still have the North Face day pack I bought in 1977. Since it was not designed to spend the night, I guess it was not a true CAMPER.

I was planning a bike ride back then with 3-4 days of camping, would that have made my bicycle a TRAVEL CAMPER?

Reactions: White016
1 - 20 of 51 Posts