Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 owner. 2 years ago I had the tranny fluid switched and all was fine till recently. Not as bad as before. At nearly any speed the tranny hunts gears and vibrates. Have an appointment on Tuesday. Service writer says they will look into it but they don't change the fluid again. Possibly torque converter. My Buddy is a writer in Lee Summit and says it is likely the torque converter. Says they haven't had to do many but it does happen.
Any thoughts or experiences with this?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
367 Posts
What is exact date of prior service? Two years ago puts you at around the time they started to send out equipment to do the new fluid replacement. You may have gotten the flush of old fluid formulation instead of new fluid.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
748 Posts
It’s most likely the converter this time. On the bright side, your tranny should be trouble free after this go round.
Sky Mountain World Hat Fedora

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is exact date of prior service? Two years ago puts you at around the time they started to send out equipment to do the new fluid replacement. You may have gotten the flush of old fluid formulation instead of new fluid.
2 years ago June

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,839 Posts
How many miles have you driven since them?
Depending on the amount of miles you might need a flush anyways. I have had mine flushed twice in my 2017 Z71.Around 30-35 thousand miles each time

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
367 Posts
2 years ago June
I think most dealers were peddling the new trans fluid by then. Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like you still in power train warranty, so I'd let them replace the convertor and give it a fresh fluid change.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,839 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have had the truck back for a week now. According to the dealer, Gm's TSB had them do another fluid change at this time. So far it has worked. I have about 1 1/2 years and 25k plus on warranty left. I hope if it does it again it's before that time. I don't think I will spring for a T/C or tranny swap out of warranty. Trade in time, which would suck because of the cost of a new topper.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Well, I have had the truck back for a week now. According to the dealer, Gm's TSB had them do another fluid change at this time. So far it has worked. I have about 1 1/2 years and 25k plus on warranty left. I hope if it does it again it's before that time. I don't think I will spring for a T/C or tranny swap out of warranty. Trade in time, which would suck because of the cost of a new topper.
If your talking factory warranty you still have power train warranty which covers the tyranny and will give you more time.

Reactions: gherbert
1 - 10 of 10 Posts