Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4x4 3.6L V6 8spd
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, the saga continues with my new 2022 Colorado.

So not sure if anybody saw any of my previous post, but I’m happy to share that the vibration I was getting in the nasty noise while accelerating was not related to the transmission and was actually related to a service bulletin for a fender standoff bracket that isn’t welded or bonded once this had been bonded, the noise went away. Yay however, here is my new issue.

Ever since I bought my truck, I’ve had slight vibrations in the floor now I haven’t driven a truck in a long time, and I understand that these trucks can be sensitive to imperfections in the roads. However, when I got this service bulletin taken care of, I mentioned it to the dealership and they found “play in the tire rod end” they replace the tire rod under warranty yet I still have vibrations . Turns out when they did the tire rod replacement the front left tire and toe was out of alignment.

I was still getting the vibrations under the floor. The only way I can describe it is it’s almost like some thing is tapping under my floor as I drive and I feel it the most on the highway but I do feel it on suburban roads where I’m going about 35 or 45. I found nails in one of my tires and put the spare tire on a few days ago. When I went to get a replacement tire as part of black Friday sale a shop gave me a free alignment. I didn’t think I needed this since I had an alignment only five days ago, but I took it anyway because it’s free and how many things are free these days turns out after five days my two front tires are already out of alignment unsure if this is all related or not safe to say, I’m still getting these vibrations . I am about to take this down the rabbit hole with the dealership but does anybody have any suggestions if I’m going 75 miles an hour I feel like ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel but other than that I don’t really have any steering wheel play. It’s driving straight in the steering wheel is aligned. I don’t hear clunking as I’m turning, is it possible that the factory tires are unbalanced or unbalanced correctly? What do you guys think?

I only have 3000 miles LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all, the saga continues with my new 2022 Colorado.

So not sure if anybody saw any of my previous post, but I’m happy to share that the vibration I was getting in the nasty noise while accelerating was not related to the transmission and was actually related to a service bulletin for a fender standoff bracket that isn’t welded or bonded once this had been bonded, the noise went away. Yay however, here is my new issue.

Ever since I bought my truck, I’ve had slight vibrations in the floor now I haven’t driven a truck in a long time, and I understand that these trucks can be sensitive to imperfections in the roads. However, when I got this service bulletin taken care of, I mentioned it to the dealership and they found “play in the tire rod end” they replace the tire rod under warranty yet I still have vibrations . Turns out when they did the tire rod replacement the front left tire and toe was out of alignment.

I was still getting the vibrations under the floor. The only way I can describe it is it’s almost like some thing is tapping under my floor as I drive and I feel it the most on the highway but I do feel it on suburban roads where I’m going about 35 or 45. I found nails in one of my tires and put the spare tire on a few days ago. When I went to get a replacement tire as part of black Friday sale a shop gave me a free alignment. I didn’t think I needed this since I had an alignment only five days ago, but I took it anyway because it’s free and how many things are free these days turns out after five days my two front tires are already out of alignment unsure if this is all related or not safe to say, I’m still getting these vibrations . I am about to take this down the rabbit hole with the dealership but does anybody have any suggestions if I’m going 75 miles an hour I feel like ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel but other than that I don’t really have any steering wheel play. It’s driving straight in the steering wheel is aligned. I don’t hear clunking as I’m turning, is it possible that the factory tires are unbalanced or unbalanced correctly? What do you guys think?

I should mention that I rode in my truck as a passenger when my wife was driving it two days ago and did feel these vibrations on the passenger side as well however, as I stated above, both tires were out of alignment (toes)

·
Registered
2022 Colorado LT
71 Posts
Pat, if you have the money you should probably move on from this truck. It’s going to make you crazy.
To answer your question though, I have felt the road in my steering wheel on the highway a few times and never felt it in the CRV that this truck replaced. I just figured it was a truck thing and it’s very minimal which doesn’t bother me at all. I do have the 2.5 rwd, so this is not a direct comparison.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pat, if you have the money you should probably move on from this truck. It’s going to make you crazy.
To answer your question though, I have felt the road in my steering wheel on the highway a few times and never felt it in the CRV that this truck replaced. I just figured it was a truck thing and it’s very minimal which doesn’t bother me at all. I do have the 2.5 rwd, so this is not a direct comparison.
Makes sense thanks for the help

·
Registered
2022 Colorado Ext. cab LT 4x4 in grey, de badged, fender flairs, flaps, fake lake, undercover. pipes
396 Posts
Typically vibrations at the steering wheel is front tires out of balance. If you feel it in the seat of your pants it the rear tires balance. Tire vibrations are about 12 hertz and engine is what ever your rpm is in hertz. 2000 rpm = 2000 hrtz. A drive line drive shaft is usually felt as a buzzing in the seat or floor.
You can buy and app for the phone Vibrate is the best but about $100. It wil read the frequency of the vibe and give you a direction to correct it. Bare in mind it could even come down to just a bad bearing in the front or rear end.
I had a vibe at 80 MPH on I80 but cant replicate it because my area limits are 70 tops. The dealer looked at me funny "where were you doing 80?" They did a tire rotation and but I have not been to 80 MPH in 6 months . Oh well, hell I am not often in that big of a hurry.
Luck

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I am about to take this down the rabbit hole with the dealership but does anybody have any suggestions if I’m going 75 miles an hour I feel like ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel but other than that I don’t really have any steering wheel play. It’s driving straight in the steering wheel is aligned. I don’t hear clunking as I’m turning, is it possible that the factory tires are unbalanced or unbalanced correctly? What do you guys think?

Next step is roadforce balance the tire/wheels.

Roadforce balance

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
while driving down the road , aim the rear view mirrors at the tires and see if either is bouncing

I have a 3 miles stretch of road I feel vibration at, at first I thought it was the truck, but it is he only place it does it... 80mph on I -70 smooth as butter here

Reactions: Patmulligan99

·
Registered
2022 Colorado Ext. cab LT 4x4 in grey, de badged, fender flairs, flaps, fake lake, undercover. pipes
396 Posts
One other thing I notices on I5, driving slowly in wreck traffic I was amazed how bouncy the freeway was far from smooth or flat. I bet the shocks really get a work out at 70MPH. Maybe its really the road and not the truck. I have noticed that from time to time 80 MPH here it shakes 80 MPH over there no shake. After having dealt with a shake for two years and finally finding the solution every little wiggle 'OMG the shake is back AGGH ' 2 miles down the road smooth as glass.
Some times it the patch of road and not the truck. Just a thought.
Luck

Reactions: Hunter62

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
is it cold where you live? Takes a little bit to get heat in the tires

20 degrees out, you can tell which side the sun was hitting, took about 15 miles of highway driving to even out

Vehicle Auto part Measuring instrument Font Electronic device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts