Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks,

what's the reality of ordering a 2021 zr2 from the factory? most car sales people talk so fast i want to walk out.

what about ordering online too?

the used ones are going for almost as much as a new one.

let me know your thoughts.

thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just did this. The hardest part is finding a good dealer (they do exist). Once you have that nailed down, they should try to find you exactly what you want throughout their network. If they have one that checks all your boxes, it will be much faster than ordering something. Especially now with covid and the supply shortages that are stemming from covid. Then, if there's nothing out there, that's when to order, but be prepared to wait. If you have any specific questions about the process, I'll do my best to answer with how my process went. Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
126 Posts
The reason used is almost the same price right now is a lot of regions are having a hard time getting new inventory and/or delayed factory orders.
Depends how badly you need that exact truck asap

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
When I bought my ZR2, I used Carguru's and found 2 that i was looking for with in 500 miles of me. The closest, we started to deal over the internet, then he said the internet price was wrong by $2 grand and was put up by a 3rd party they contract with. 2nd one did pretty much the same About a week later one popped up,(wife was tired of me looking) I sent them a message asking if that was the price, he said yes, I called them and after talking a bit I told him I would pick it up tommorow, the guy said we can deliver it to, so they did...

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ordering takes a long, long time. Rather than order my 2016 Z71 diesel and wait close to a year, I called dealers up to 3hrs away from me to get an idea of inventory and ended up buying from AutoNation since they had access to basically the exact one I wanted (just had a dealer installed leather bed cover that was pretty garbage...). Took ~2wks instead of 10-14months

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
126 Posts
I also ended up buying mine over the internet at a dealership about 300km from me.
Any time I tried to go look at one, they were always sold by the end up the work day on the days the dealerships were open later.

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 Crew Cab
25 Posts
I had a dealer locate one that had the features I wanted and they just moved it over. Took a few days but I got what i wanted.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado ZR2
137 Posts
I also ended up buying mine over the internet at a dealership about 300km from me.
Any time I tried to go look at one, they were always sold by the end up the work day on the days the dealerships were open later.
I bought mine from a dealer in Minnesota and I live in Georgia. Flew up and drove it back. The deal was way too good.

·
Registered
2019 CC V6 Bison
93 Posts
Go to the Chevy website and build the truck with the features you want. After completing this process, put in your zip code, a 250 mileage range from your home filter and select the 'Inventory' option. All ZR2's on dealer lots within that area will be listed with the nearest matches shown first.

I spec'd out my truck from a small local dealer, negotiated an 'out the door' price we could both live with, gave the salesrep a list from the above process with the trucks I'd take and asked him to get me one transferred in which he did. Most dealers swap inventory all the time and there's no extra cost for them to do so other than fuel and the time for two employees to pick up the other vehicle (only the time for one if an actual swap is being made).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was dead set on special ordering my truck. I wanted exactly what I wanted, and I wanted it with delivery miles only so I could break it in properly. I called dealers all over the country based on recommendations for the best deals to be had for fly-n-buys. I've done a number of antique cars that way, so I figured a new one would be a cinch. I also called all my local dealers, since plane tickets cost money and to serve as a good baseline. As a bonus, since the closest dealers to me are in the Denver area, off road trims are extremely popular, so they were sort of primed for what I was after. After all of that, I found a dealer that was truly willing to deal (it's really the specific salesman, but the dealership has to foster those sorts of people). I was able to special order exactly what I wanted (I don't know if there was anything in anyone's inventory in whatever radius, but wouldn't have cared if there were), AND give me all available incentives, price breaks, etc. We landed just under $50K, IIRC, and yeah, I had to wait something like three months, and the timing worked out to where my wife was 9 months pregnant and ready to pop in the dealership as we were picking it up, but I got a great deal on the exact truck I wanted. I had asked if they would not do the "dealer prep" (remove the plastic coverings, clean off the trailer schmoo, etc.), but the imminent baby made me decide to drop that at the last minute (I didn't want to be in the middle of prepping my own truck and have to run to the hospital). The salesman's mother had recently purchased a Colorado, and he offered to buy accessories on my behalf at his cost under the guise of buying them for his mother's truck. The dealership matters; the salesperson matters more. Unfortunately, pandemic meant he went off to greener pastures... Car sales is a hard job with extraordinarily high turnover.

This was all in "the before times". The car market is FUCKED right now... Used and new. Up is down; left is right. I have an old Suburban I need to get sold, and the time is RIGHT NOW while prices are sky high and no one is selling anything.... Just gotta find some time to get it sellable!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I knew exactly what I wanted , built it online and brought the paperwork to the dealer.

They were unable to locate one with all the options I wanted.

The dealer ordered it from the factory.

Got the ViN in 4 weeks and took delivery in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is supposed to be built next week. It’s all in the dealer... I happened to find a good sales guy. It’s the father of a home loan broker I am using to refinance - which made it easy.
I told him what I wanted, he put the order in, was able to identify options that would delay it (keypad entry and spray liner), and was able to get the time down to 3 weeks. When it comes in I’ll get my GM discount price, incentives, and a bit more off MSRP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the before times, Jan 2019, I walked into my local dealer with my Chevy.com custom build sheet and my employer discount printout.
Within 4 weeks it was delivered to the dealer and I picked it up 2 or 3 days after that, they had to install some of the dealer applied options.
I'm planning on keeping this one till to rusts out like the 18 yo S-10 ZR2 it replaced.
So get the options you want, cutting corners now only leads to wish I would haves in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts