Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks on my drive to work there has been some road construction to repair an old bridge. We all know where there is construction work there will be flat tires. As traffic slows to a crawl everyone takes the bumpty bump bump over he torn up asphalt. It is the perfect spot to get a flat tire.

Today was my day. Instead of hearing the bumpty bump bump I heard bumpty bump crunch! "Perfect!" I said to myself. Wonder what I just ran over? It took about 30 seconds for my display to show me a "Low Tire Pressure" warning ....... Perfect, again I said to myself.

I switched over to the screen where I can see all 4 tire pressures at once. I see my rear passenger tire's pressure is at 28 and dropping one pound about every 20 seconds. Again I say, "Perfect!" I also mumble a few other choice words. My first thought, can I make it to work 5 miles away? 24, 23, 20 pounds of pressure. No way can I make to work. - Perfect, again I say to no in particular.

As the screen goes to 19 pounds I look up for a place to pull over. I see a small business along side the road with a parking lot off the main highway. Perfect, a safe place to pull over. When I stop the tire pressure is at 15. I get out and walk to the back of the truck and hear the last of the air escaping form my tire. It is now completely flat. "Perfect!" With a few more curse words thrown in to make me fell better. It is at that point I look up and notice for the first time the business I pulled into is a Tire Shop. "Perfect"

Guys from the shop come out to look at my tire. They find a piece of metal sticking out (see picture below) of the center tread and tell me it can easily be repaired. "Perfect", I say with no additional curse words this time. Twenty minuets later I'm on my way to work. I never got my hands dirty and it only cost me $15 to repair. Yes, you guessed it - PERFECT!

It has been a perfect day,
Gusto!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
When I lived in Michigan, I discovered a nail or a screw in my driver side front tire. I pulled into a service station by the house where they did tire repairs. Pulled up close to the bay, turned steering wheel, got out, determined I needed to pull up a little further to display the problem, then turned wheel sharply, displaying the culprit in the tire. The mechanic saw what I was doing, came out before I was finished positioning the tire, with a pair of pliers and his patch kit, plugged the hole, then grabbed an air hose to re-fill the tire.

Took me longer to pay for it than for him to repair it.

That was about as perfect a tire repair as I have ever dealt with. Didn't have to put it on a rack, didn't even pull the tire off the truck.

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I lived in Michigan, I discovered a nail or a screw in my driver side front tire. I pulled into a service station by the house where they did tire repairs. Pulled up close to the bay, turned steering wheel, got out, determined I needed to pull up a little further to display the problem, then turned wheel sharply, displaying the culprit in the tire. The mechanic saw what I was doing, came out before I was finished positioning the tire, with a pair of pliers and his patch kit, plugged the hole, then grabbed an air hose to re-fill the tire.

Took me longer to pay for it than for him to repair it.

That was about as perfect a tire repair as I have ever dealt with. Didn't have to put it on a rack, didn't even pull the tire off the truck.

Awesome! LOL - I think if this were a contest for the "perfect" flat tire story, you'd win!

Gusto

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Awesome! LOL - I think if this were a contest for the "perfect" flat tire story, you'd win!

Gusto
Not a contest I generally would enjoy participating in.

My worse flat tire story: Driving from Baton Rouge to San Antonio along I-10, picked up 7 nails in two tires just east of Lake Charles early one Sunday morning. Very slow leaks, but pre-TPMS also. Got to Lake Charles, purchased a tire plug kit, and a boatload of spare tire plugs. Drove to nearby gas station with free air. Started pulling nails and plugging. Bunch of the plugs split while trying to insert, had to walk back over to auto parts store for more plugs. Lost about 45 minutes getting the two tires plugged. If I didn't plug them, would have lost a couple of hours waiting for places to open at noon on a Sunday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.