Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Utilize this forum thread to post ordering, tracking, and option information exclusive to the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Tomorrow, I'm going to speak with a local dealer about placing a deposit on/ordering a Red Hot ZR2 Crew Cab.

I went to the 2016 DFW Auto Show last week and unfortunately they didn't bring the Z's from the LA Auto Show with them. :frown2: The show staff commented that they didn't know when ordering would begin, but they anticipated the truck to be available in April.

Has anyone inquired about a deposit or order?

Reactions: Camarolegend

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump

Surely I'm not the only one on this forum who's serious about ordering/buying one of these...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not at all! I haven't looked into a deposit or order yet, but will be soon. Unfortunately, the dealers around here are all idiots about the ZR2. Not one knows anything about them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
All kidding aside, when you guys finally DO see these in person, can anyone get us some hood measurements to make sure the hoods are interchangeable with the other models of the Collies?
I AM getting that ZR2 hood as soon as it becomes available...... provided its a direct bolt on fitment. :laugh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
New to forum...I am super stoked on the ZR2. Live in Colorado, & actually will off road with the truck. Love the aggressive stance & unique Grill, lift, shocks & interior for the ZR2
My slight issue is I tow a travel trailer 10-15 times a year. The ZR2 tow rating is derated to 5,000lbs. I tow a 24' travel trailer, 4600lbs empty, possibly up to 5,490 lbs loaded. I tow this trailer with my current vehicle, a '13 Tacoma double cab TRD/OR, lifted 3" with 285's. stability is not an issue, the engine is a bit weak & struggles over our Mtn passes, braking is so so.

The Colorado, in Diesel format & with exhaust brake seem to be the ticket for me, reports of towing are good. I believe GM derates the ZR2 due to lift & tire size. The basics are same , so transmission, brakes, & engine are capable of the 7,600 lb tow rating on other models.

Do I try my towing with the ZR2?

Only other option (that I like) is a Raptor, amazing truck but just too big for trails, & obviously more money. (Kinda thinking ZR2 to be like $50K? Alot if $$but with added off-road features one can't do for any less off market)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I don't think it's the tires and wheels. Same tires on the Trail Boss. It's because the upgrades to the ZR2 add a little bit of weight to the truck, and the suspension is going to be softer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any idea difference in weight of the truck?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I don't think there's anything published yet. But there's full skid plates, rock sliders, longer front control arms, wider rear axle, front locker, and I'm sure the shocks are a little heavier than the regular ones, so add all that together and I bet you're looking at 3-500 lbs. more than a regular model.

Plus, the ZR2 suspension is going to be softer than the regular suspension, which will affect load carrying ability and towing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the downgraded tow rating and short bed only was a "dealbreaker" for me. In quotes because... even if available in a long bed and with the tow rating I need, I probably wouldn't drop the coin on it anyways, hahaha!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Having owned two ZR2s, I'm now in the odd position of wanting a regular Colorado now for the higher tow rating and better aftermarket that comes with not being a niche vehicle. If I can get an Xcab Duramax Z, I will be tempted, since it will match the two previous ZR2s in configuration, and blow them away in terms of ability... and they were no slouch to begin with. To me, the advantage is the higher/wider stance I would eventually do to a regular Colorado anyway, and the addition of the front locker. Which, with the factory programming, might not be all that useful. Time will tell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if I tow about 5500-5900 I would be better off getting a diesel Z71 crew cab & adding lift, tires, & lockers aftermarket? Sorry I know this is all easy done on Tacoma's, so many great after market products available, but never see this on Colorado's. is this fairly easily do able? I am one that can't have stock, as well do not like the stance (raised rear ended) want to level/ lift so front end is level.
When I say easy I am not a gear head type mechanical guy so would have a reputable shop do the lift etc

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Lifts are easy. Lots of choices. Lockers, I'm not sure what axle is in these trucks. You at least have the G80, which you would get with the Z71 and diesel. As for selectable, not sure if there's any aftermarket options yet. Once the ZR2 is out, I would bet you could install the e-lockers from that once the parts are available.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Starts Under $41,000, Way Cheaper Than Raptor or Power Wagon

Chevy's off-road pickup truck package is a little different from the specialized 4x4s from Ford and Ram. First off, the Colorado ZR2 is a midsize, more compact than the full-size Ford Raptor and 2500-based Ram Power Wagon. And with that sensible size comes a more compact price: Chevy just announced the ZR2 starts at $40,995, seriously undercutting the base prices of the Ford and Ram.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 Pricing - Chevrolet Colorado Base Price

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
So if I tow about 5500-5900 I would be better off getting a diesel Z71 crew cab & adding lift, tires, & lockers aftermarket? Sorry I know this is all easy done on Tacoma's, so many great after market products available, but never see this on Colorado's. is this fairly easily do able? I am one that can't have stock, as well do not like the stance (raised rear ended) want to level/ lift so front end is level.
When I say easy I am not a gear head type mechanical guy so would have a reputable shop do the lift etc
At this moment, there are no aftermarket solutions. I can assure you though that will change in due time as the sales are catching up to the Tacoma. They just haven't been out long enough and not enough people dropping coin on them initially. The ZR2 will open a lot of doors for the platform as a lot of aftermarket parts will fit both. Im willing to put a fair amount of money that the Elockers will not be able to be integrated into the non ZR2 as surely all of that is built into the BCM, and those are not interchangeable between years. I'm purely basing this off any other electrical option that have been added as the years go on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So now that the ZR2 pricing has been released, is anyone else going to be placing an order on one?

·
Registered
210 Posts
So now that the ZR2 pricing has been released, is anyone else going to be placing an order on one?
I will be sometime this year! Can't wait to get rid of my Wrangler. I love it but have had WAY too many problems with engine/transmission etc. Don't EVER buy a Chrysler product....horrible quality.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'll wait for the configurator to go live on the Chevy site. I need to play around with options, and I'm really irked that the longbed crew was nixed for the ZR2, so I'll have more time to decide whether the front locker and stance is worth the cost of cargo space and camper volume.

1 - 20 of 538 Posts