Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Drive it. That's why you bought it, right?
Your truck won't last forever, and you won't either. Enjoy it!

If you aren't going to put many miles on it (some people just don't drive much), make sure you are keeping up on oil change intervals. Mileage is one thing, but time is another and your Oil Life Monitor should be counting down until your next oil change even if you're not driving the truck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I experienced both extremes of mileage difference!
I bought a 2016 Z71 in July of 2016 and hardly used it. It was my 4th vehicle, I had a TBSS, a CT6 and my Crew Cab longbed ZR2 that I used instead, and then when they finally announced that the ZR2s were finally being made, I pretty much put it away, so it would have top dollar trade in value.
It only had 2,000 miles on it in the year I had it and the last couple hundred were driving to Chevy dealers to get trade in values for it.
After several months of searching, in July of 2017, I found a ZR2 I wanted.
I drove my 16 Z71 200 miles to Columbus Ohio to trade it in on a 17 ZR2.
I then drove my brand new Colorado 400 miles to Silver Lake where I spent the weekend thrashing it on the dunes and then hooked up my quad trailer to it and drove 500 miles back to Pittsburgh.
And then 4 weeks later I took another 1,100 mile, 4 day trip to Silver Lake.

So..I had my 16 Z71 for a year and put 2,000 miles on it and then I put over 2,000 miles on my new 17 ZR2 in a month.
My 17 ZR2 is almost 5 years old now and it just turned over 23,500 miles. ( I still have the TBSS, the CT6 and the Crew Cab long bed ZR2 that I rotate through that keeps the miles low)

·
Registered
2022 Colorado ZR2 Bison ccsb 2.8l Sand Dune
70 Posts
If you are trying to keep it low miles then good on you, to each their own. I've had mine for 6 days and have roughly 650 miles on it 🤣 (1,050km). Get out there and enjoy it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was in a similar boat with my 2022 ZR2. Almost exactly seven months after I bought it in December of 2021, it only had 981 miles on it. I work from home, have another daily driver, and really only used my ZR2 for going off-road (at least 1/3, probably closer to 1/2, of those 981 miles were not on paved roads). Then I did a road trip across Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah and put more miles on it in four days than I had those first seven months (and again, a lot of those miles were off-road). Now the truck is sitting at a couple thousand miles, has some minor tree pinstriping, and I enjoy it far more knowing it is living it's purpose in life and taking me along for the ride instead of sitting in my garage looking pretty (it still looks pretty, just a lot more muddy as well ;) ).

I'm not sure what it is about crossing that 1000 mile threshold, and/or getting the first door ding/scratch, but it liberates the mind from the anxiety of owning a new, pristine vehicle and lets it enjoy the vehicle for the things it can do instead of simply the thing that it is - new.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
And time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin... into the future

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
273 Posts
Bought our Canyon about seven months ago too. I’m retired, old, and pretty much not traveling until this Covid thing is done. It ain’t over until it’s over and us old farts don’t do as well with it as the young’ uns. Whiskey Girl (my Chesapeake Bay Retriever) and I mostly just cruise around and take the trash to the dump….. er…. uh…. sorry, Convenience Center, we can’t call it the dump anymore. Anyway, we have over 3500 miles on ours and we enjoy cruising in it. Like a fine rifle that has never been fired…. Is it really a fine rifle? Who knows?

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Bought our Canyon about seven months ago too. I’m retired, old, and pretty much not traveling until this Covid thing is done. It ain’t over until it’s over and us old farts don’t do as well with it as the young’ uns. Whiskey Girl (my Chesapeake Bay Retriever) and I mostly just cruise around and take the trash to the dump….. er…. uh…. sorry, Convenience Center, we can’t call it the dump anymore. Anyway, we have over 3500 miles on ours and we enjoy cruising in it. Like a fine rifle that has never been fired…. Is it really a fine rifle? Who knows?
Well said.

Side bar: can you really not refer to it as ‘the dump’ any longer?
My dad is out in the country, when some items have to be brought to the small town for disposal everyone calls it the ‘dump’.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Like everyone else said, drive and enjoy!

Also, if being driven regularly an issue is more likely to manifest because you are using it rather than being sheltered - better to find out and get it resolved while your truck is covered under warranty.

Reactions: RJL1983

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
When you have had it a year it(your truck)will tell you that its oil needs to be changed.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
273 Posts
Well said.

Side bar: can you really not refer to it as ‘the dump’ any longer?
My dad is out in the country, when some items have to be brought to the small town for disposal everyone calls it the ‘dump’.
Well, there is a big sign that says “Convenience Center” and with everyone being so sensitive nowadays, I don’t want to offend. There are separate receptacles for “Household”, “Commingled” and “Cardboard and Paper” so you can’t just “dump” it all. Hell, I don’t know…. everything used to be so easy.😂

Reactions: 93Duc and Hunter62

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, there is a big sign that says “Convenience Center” and with everyone being so sensitive nowadays, I don’t want to offend. There are separate receptacles for “Household”, “Commingled” and “Cardboard and Paper” so you can’t just “dump” it all. Hell, I don’t know…. everything used to be so easy.😂
The dump I used to live near rebranded itself as a "Disposal Center", specifically to highlight it began recycling metals, paper/cardboard, and e-waste. It didn't really seem worth all the mail and email flyers, that is until I realized they were also raising rates to pay for the new capabilities...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When you have had it a year it(your truck)will tell you that its oil needs to be changed.
I wouldn't wait that long before changing oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't wait that long before changing oil.
Same. I did one oil change at 500 miles and am about to do another when I hit 2500 miles. I read comments regarding the value of early oil changes, but the relatively low cost is worth my peace of mind down the road - you hear a lot more stories about people waiting too long to change the oil and causing damage than people changing it too often and doing the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts