·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Pretty cool.
But a police chase isn't intended to stop the perp, its intended to not let him escape justice.
Think about it.
When a perp fails to comply with a lawful command and stop his vehicle, he is in violation and everything that results from that decision is on the perp.
If LE do something that causes an additional problem, that responsibility will be on the LE.
Yes, accidents that happen while chasing fleeing suspects are the responsibility of the LE, but the LE can easily argue that the chase would not have been necessary had the perp not run, therefore final responsibility is placed on the perp.
In the process of a chase, to keep all consequences on the perp, LE should not do anything else that creates additional danger or liability to the safety of the officers, the perp or innocent bystanders. This is why LE doesn't shoot out tires, although they could easily do it, they could shoot and explode the gas tank in the process. They would not be able to blame that on the perp when all the LE need to do is follow the perp until the chase runs its course.
The same logic will apply to this new device.
Until police have the ability to shut down a vehicle remotely or with a directed energy device, or have built-in spike deployments in the roads (not happening) or LE adopt a no pursuit policy, innocent people will be hit by police and the suspects.

·
Registered
143 Posts
...they could shoot and explode the gas tank in the process...
Too many movies. In real life, gas tanks do not explode when pierced by a bullet. Gasoline does not burn, it is the fumes that ignite and a bullet's surface temperature from friction is not high enough to do even that. You can douse a match in gasoline if you do it quickly enough. Bullets striking a surface do not create sparks like they show in movies.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought it looked like a better option than when the cops try to tag the rear end of the vehicle they are chasing to spin it out and bring the chase to a crashing end.

On the other hand, I would not like being the cop trying to get that close to a speeding vehicle to deploy. An abrupt maneuver by the perp and it could be a mess.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think some departments are taking it seriously in California where they have the highest incident rate.
@rriddle3 Yes, but there is also the possibility of hitting a person in the rear seat, a child perhaps. There are numerous reasons not to use guns to shoot out tires.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A buddy of mine is a cop in Cleveland, and always has some good stories. In one instance this device wouldn't have been any help. Some guy sideswiped his cruiser and took off, knocking a few parked cars in the process. My buddy and his partner pursued along with several other officers in as safe as possible low speed chase. This dragged on for over half an hour until the climax when the perp STOPPED FOR GAS. I guess he thought you could call a timeout

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I think this is a bit much.

They have units now that shoot and stick to the car ahead with GPS. They have used it often on Live PD with good results.

I am not one for letting anyone get away, in fact it pisses me off.

As far as I am concerned put snow plows on and open the cars up like a can.

I saw a few weeks ago on Live PD 3 people killed by someone who ran from the cops. It does make you think there has to be a better way. The truck blew a light and hit a Ford car and killed 3 in one family. They never knew what hit them. The drunk in the truck got out and ran.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We get one of these running from cops incidents in DFW metroplex about once per week I guess. My thoughts are that the driver is one of few things:

1. Drunk/Drugs/under the influence
  2. Outstanding Warrants
  3. Involved in some illegal activity like running drugs, stolen property, felon in possession of a firearm.
  4. Just basically NUTS
  5. Politically incorrect to suggest, but is not in country legally.
I have no idea of the % breakdown of the above, but I am going to guess that at least once a month, someone gets seriously injured or killed in the metroplex. I quit getting the newpaper, so I my blood pressure is not as high reading these stories. Then there are the wrong way drivers who crash before a chase could ever begin.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
With all the computer systems on vehicles, I'm surprised they haven't developed a taser type system that would fry the systems and thus shut down the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you run from the police... You deserve to be eliminated from the gene pool.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
With all the computer systems on vehicles, I'm surprised they haven't developed a taser type system that would fry the systems and thus shut down the vehicle.
I have seen them shown. But I am not sure of the cost or trliability.

One had a harpoon looking probe that would shock the vehicle and shut the ignition down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts