Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Happy New Year .
Well after 145 000 Kilometers (90 100 miles) I've come up with the dreaded P0303 code along with a P0128.
The truck (07 Colorado with 2.9) runs like a dog, missing, coughing and a very rough idle.
I'm resigned to the fact that I will have to fit a new head but what I need to know is what other parts would I need to fit at the same time. I've searched the forum but cannot find a "parts list" of what the job would entail
Bear in mind that I'm half a world away here and what I order from Rock auto now will not get here until March / April so a one time order with all I need would be ideal.
I am not trying to get this done under warranty as I've heard what GM are like in regards to this and our local dealer here is a ..........I'll not go there
I am not a mechanic but have confidence in the private one that will be doing the job. He has done a compression test which has come up with 14 Bar for 1,2 & 4 cylinders and 0 for number 3
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance for any replies
Regards
Jacko

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Hi All
Happy New Year .
Well after 145 000 Kilometers (90 100 miles) I've come up with the dreaded P0303 code along with a P0128.
The truck (07 Colorado with 2.9) runs like a dog, missing, coughing and a very rough idle.
I'm resigned to the fact that I will have to fit a new head but what I need to know is what other parts would I need to fit at the same time. I've searched the forum but cannot find a "parts list" of what the job would entail
Bear in mind that I'm half a world away here and what I order from Rock auto now will not get here until March / April so a one time order with all I need would be ideal.
I am not trying to get this done under warranty as I've heard what GM are like in regards to this and our local dealer here is a ..........I'll not go there
I am not a mechanic but have confidence in the private one that will be doing the job. He has done a compression test which has come up with 14 Bar for 1,2 & 4 cylinders and 0 for number 3
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance for any replies
Regards
Jacko
Well at 90k and 13 years old I'm pretty sure warranty isn't a consideration ….;)
Sure sounds like a valve problem.
your mechanic will know what all to get, just be sure to do the thermostat at the same time for the 0128
Has he pulled the valve cover to have a look? Does it make any noises up top? Anyway, pull the cover first to look before you go crazy buying parts.
This could get very exspensive, have you considered just getting another vehicle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at 90k and 13 years old I'm pretty sure warranty isn't a consideration ….;)
your mechanic will know what all to get, just be sure to do the thermostat at the same time for the 0128
Has he pulled the valve cover to have a look? Does it make any noises up top? Anyway, pull the cover first to look before you go crazy buying parts.
This could get very exspensive, have you considered just getting another vehicle?
Hi All
Thanks White 016 for the reply, I don't think he has pulled the valve cover as once he saw the P0303 code it confirmed what I had told him regarding the head fault. I will talk with him and maybe get him to have a look inside.
Vehicles here hold their value fairly well and as import duty and the cost of vehicles generally is high I am prepared to bite the bullet and get this fixed. I use the truck daily for work (I'm a builder) and as our island is only just over 100 miles around we don't do that many miles per year.
So far the parts I've been recommended to get are, head (comes complete from Rock auto), gasket, & water pump (this due to the mileage done). Any other bits you can think of?
I keep a few spares in my tool room and have a thermostat already along with plugs, serpentine belt & general filters etc.
Thanks again for the reply
Jacko

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
LOL... old school...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL... old school...
Thanks Gerry........Ahhh the days of "Un-complicated, Un=computerised" motors......
My Father-in-law had one of these in Aust. Wife ( girlfriend way back then) and I used to borrow this for a night out........
If only he knew what went on
Thanks for the link. It won't help me this time but it refreshed the memories.......
Regards
Jacko

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Hi All
Thanks White 016 for the reply, I don't think he has pulled the valve cover as once he saw the P0303 code it confirmed what I had told him regarding the head fault. I will talk with him and maybe get him to have a look inside.
Vehicles here hold their value fairly well and as import duty and the cost of vehicles generally is high I am prepared to bite the bullet and get this fixed. I use the truck daily for work (I'm a builder) and as our island is only just over 100 miles around we don't do that many miles per year.
So far the parts I've been recommended to get are, head (comes complete from Rock auto), gasket, & water pump (this due to the mileage done). Any other bits you can think of?
I keep a few spares in my tool room and have a thermostat already along with plugs, serpentine belt & general filters etc.
Thanks again for the reply
Jacko
Look for a head gasket SET, not just a gasket. Maybe some hoses and of course coolant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All
So after 7 months and a few frustrations I have the Colorado back, fixed and running nicely.
The parts took forever to get to me via New Zealand and then my first mechanic wasn't able to get to do the job .....long story.
I found another guy who did the work and am more than happy how it all worked out.
He pulled out the motor took off the head and found the intake valve spring retainer had failed causing the valve to stick open and jam inside the guide.
Long story short the head was replaced along with the list of parts below which include a few "while you are in there" parts which were replaced.
Parts used
Off E Bay
GM 2.9L DOHC Cylinder Head Assembly # (124294700067) $750.95

From Rock auto
ENGINE-TECH S95524-STD Piston Ring Set $ 27.79
ENGINE-TECH BC150JSTD Crankshaft Main Bearing $ 106.79
ENGINE-TECH BB151JSTD Connecting Rod Bearing $ 35.79
AC DELCO AC 213-3519 Camshaft Position Sensor 2 $ 41.78
GATES Z O VVS145 VVT Solenoid / Actuator $ 26.40
GM GENUINE CT1107 Clutch Release Bearing $ 71.79
ENGINE-TECH TS0195A Timing Set $121.79
ENGINE-TECH C178K1 Engine Kit Gasket Set $104.79
ENGINE-TECH EK322 Oil Pump Repair Kit $ 89.79
MAHLE GS33416 Cylinder Head Bolt $ 53.79
MAHLE JV5039 Timing Cover Gasket $ 22.79
MELLING 377S Oil Pump Pickup Tube $ 44.79
US MOTOR WORKS MCK1048 Water Pump & Fan Clutch Assembly $ 59.79
Total $ 1558.82
These prices don't include freight and the duty at this end (around 30% of the total)
Labor was approx. $ 1951 at today's exchange rate but that included the fitting of a new air conditioner compressor and condenser and a few other minor parts

There are many threads about the problems with our trucks but not many "end stories" so I hope this helps someone down the track as to what to expect to pay
and what parts you'll need to rectify this common problem..... the dreaded bad head / valve
Let me know if any one wants any other info
Regards
Jacko

1 - 7 of 7 Posts