Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Damn, those fees are high. And I was complaining about $250 for my truck, motorcycle and 3 trailers combined.

Ohio is hitting electric vehicles this year. $200 on top of regular registration fees for not buying gas.

Hybrid owners will now pay $100 and electric vehicle owners will pay $200 to register with the state each year.

Registration for vehicles using only fossil fuels is about $35.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You guys in the USA are lucky! Consider the taxes for residents of Ontario....
I pay $140/year for licencing fees per vehicle; 13% sales tax on all purchases, including new & used vehicles (plus $100 tire tax on new vehicles and $100 air conditioning tax); roughly between 25 + 35% income tax (of course depending on earned $$'s); $5600/year property taxes (for a normal family home on a 60'x120' lot) plus varying environmental fees on all oil changes (usually between $2 +$5) and tire disposal fees/taxes of $5/tire on new tire purchases. Also many other smaller incidental taxes too numerous to mention. GGGRRRR!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I pay $140/year for licencing fees per vehicle; 13% sales tax on all purchases, including new & used vehicles (plus $100 tire tax on new vehicles and $100 air conditioning tax); roughly between 25 + 35% income tax (of course depending on earned $$'s); $5600/year property taxes (for a normal family home on a 60'x120' lot) plus varying environmental fees on all oil changes (usually between $2 +$5) and tire disposal fees/taxes of $5/tire on new tire purchases. Also many other smaller incidental taxes too numerous to mention. GGGRRRR!!
Well, just wait till you see that new 'Royal Security Tax'!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good thing you have free healthcare when you can no longer take the beating from the sales and income taxes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alberta
  • 5% Goods and Services Tax (GST--federal) on new and used IF purchased through dealer. No tax on private sales.
  • $65/year registration
Other one-time charges at new purchase only:
  • $100 excise (air conditioning)
  • $20 tires
  • $6.25 Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council
  • $75 loan registration fee IF financed

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I truly feel for you guys in Canada. Your dollar is weaker, your taxes are higher and your gun laws suck. I spent quite a bit of time in Toronto when I was still working, helping Fidelity interface with GM and the UAW, I noticed even the Queen screwed you guys. I saw a book in a book store and the Canadian price was $2 more than the US price, and this was a time when the two currencies were pretty close in value. Unlike many of the books though, this one was printed in England! So not even England gives you a break. I asked a store owner to explain the GST to me not long after it was initiated and flat out told me no one could explain it, at least at that time. I bet he could now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ouch, yea Nevada registration sucks. My wifes new Wrangler was going to cost around $450. She paid $33 I think. Military benefits. I didn't pay attention to what my Colorado cost me in Virginia.

·
Registered
596 Posts
How about $151 for license plates. City sticker $213.82. Now that depends what type of vehicle you have. 3/4 extra sales tax if you live a certain county for vehicle sales.

That just some of our great state of affairs!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Government bureaucracy tends to have lots of babies, and it needs to go on birth control. There are so many "taxing authorities" now it makes ones head spin. Who the Hell gives the "authority" to all these various taxing authorities?

Colorado is much the same as the other states when it comes to registration fees - you pay your sales tax when you buy a vehicle, then pay annual taxes based on the vehicle's value while renewing. I take great exception to this - as I already paid sales tax on the value of the vehicle. I can see a weight fee, but not continued taxing based on value. I guess I will never own a Mercedes or BMW, even if I had the money.

So the way things are, a brand new car that gets 40 MPG pays $600 in annual fees, while an older pre emissions, smoke belching, road crushing, fuel sucking diesel F-350 costs around $70 a year to register. Ya, that makes sense...

Nanny knows best government usually incentivizes/disincentivivizes desired taxpayer behavior via their taxing schemes. On one hand, the government gives (or used to give) big rebates on electric vehicles, and yet they penalize EVs at registration time as they use no gas, and new Tesla owners get hammered at annual registration time, as the cars are expensive. So does the government want to incentivize EVs or not?

At least the government is clear on cigarettes. God forbid if you are a smoker, that is clearly not government approved activity. Bend over and pay almost a buck in pack in FU tax, plus sales tax, compounded on the FU tax. Make a killing selling your house? How about 500K in tax free (for a married couple) capital gains? Sucks to be a smoker who rents I guess - that is clearly unapproved behavior according to the tax code.

Given the balance of how the taxes work out over the long term, all I can conclude is the government wants us all to drive 7.3 liter pre emissions diesel pickup trucks, sell our appreciated houses in high cost states, move to lower cost states and throw a party. Who am I to argue with that? 😆

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here in Vermont we pay 6% on the net price, (after trade in value). Registration on the 2020 SLT is less than $100/year. BUT, as retirees we pay income tax on our full pensions AND our Social Security income, (one of only 13 states that do). Our property taxes are some of the highest in the country!
I can't wait until after November when there's a chance that we'll get all that free stuff!

·
Registered
111 Posts
And I thought California was expensive.

A lot more expensive than where I used to live anyway

41 - 55 of 55 Posts