Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
is that for property taxes?

here in Missouri(the backward state) our registration cost is 60bucks then you have property taxes each year
You pay the sales tax when you register the truck for the first time
Other states I have lived you pay at the dealership. Either you roll it into the payment or you pay the dealer at closing time.

So here in Missouri, people buy thier truck and drive for months an months on 30-day temp tags, cause they cannot come up with the money for sales tax..

oh, I ran a marathon in Vegas and stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the Monte Carlo, is the hotel still there? It was real old and was a cinder block hotel..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that for property taxes?

here in Missouri(the backward state) our registration cost is 60bucks then you have property taxes each year
You pay the sales tax when you register the truck for the first time
Other states I have lived you pay at the dealership. Either you roll it into the payment or you pay the dealer at closing time.

So here in Missouri, people buy thier truck and drive for months an months on 30-day temp tags, cause they cannot come up with the money for sales tax..

oh, I ran a marathon in Vegas and stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the Monte Carlo, is the hotel still there? It was real old and was a cinder block hotel..
This is just for the annual license tab fees, I paid the sales tax when I bought the truck last week. The Monte Carlo in now called the Park MGM, and has been remodeled. Not sure about the Holiday Inn.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well then stay out of Labette County Kansas then. I had my 2019 LT 4x4 Crew Cab truck from new about a year and my personal property tax on it for the another year (in my case with last name starting with a W is in November) was still $950.00 until this November. And do it all over again a tad less but not much. I had a 2017 Shelby GT 350 Mustang new and personal property tax here was about $1,500 every year. Crazy!!

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
$624.97 to license my new 2019 Z71. Y'all need to come to Vegas and lose money more often so these fees drop, LOL!
Damn!
How do they justify an annual registration fee that high? Because it's a truck? I know some other states base it on resale value,

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Well then stay out of Labette County Kansas then. I had my 2019 LT 4x4 Crew Cab truck from new about a year and my personal property tax on it for the another year (in my case with last name starting with a W is in November) was still $950.00 until this November. And do it all over again a tad less but not much. I had a 2017 Shelby GT 350 Mustang new and personal property tax here was about $15,000 every year. Crazy!!
Wow! They actually tax you yearly by the value of your possessions on your property?

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
In Texas it's in that $80 range. In Mississippi, it was in the $300-$400 range back in late 90s. The goal there for many people was to find a 25 year old vehicle that could be registered as a CLASSIC for $25. It was amazing the number of people driving around in a clunker with CLASSIC tags.

I think it was in Michigan when I went to register my S10 Blazer, I was told I could register it as a car or a truck. After looking at the clerk a little cock-eyed, I asked which one was cheaper. She said as a truck, I bit my tongue, didn't respond sarcastically, just said I guess I will register as a truck. DUH!

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
Wow! They actually tax you yearly by the value of your possessions on your property?
Many states have a personal property tax. I actually pay a personal property tax in Texas on my business assets, but not on personal assets.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Many states have a personal property tax. I actually pay a personal property tax in Texas on my business assets, but not on personal assets.
Yes, personal property tax (land and dwelling) is a given, as well as business assets being a norm. It's the yearly municipal taxing of personal movable items that one paid sales tax at the time of purchase, that seems kinda unconstitutional (double taxation ad nauseum). Florida used to charge a % fee for the value of your vehicle when you moved to the state at 1st time registration, but that got struck down due to it being ruled double taxation, since you paid sales tax in your home state.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yup cars,motorcycles, boats etc. As value decreases personal property tax on item goes down. But slowly. It took 2 years for that 2017 Shelby GT 350 Mustang to go down from $1,500 to $1,200 a year.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That should have read $1,500 on the Shelby.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We get dinged for several things, but not personal property taxes. The deductions you see here are remaining fees that were paid on my Silverado dually that get applied to the new Colorado. It's always worse somewhere, but when I lived in WA it was a flat $30. Oh well, it's only money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Maryland we don't have personal property tax, however we have a piggyback tax that is levied on top of our state income taxes. Depending on the county on you live in it can range from 40% to 60% of your state income added to your total. Sometimes I wonder if a personal property tax wouldn't be a better solution.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ha, I see your measly $600 something and double that for my 2018...close to $1200 in NE. My a$$ still hurts!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
In Illinois they do not have personel property tax on vehicles, so you see a lot of cars across the river here in Missouriwith Illinois tags. People find some relatives like 3rd cousin from faters 5th cousin who lives in Illinois and claim that as their residence
the personel property taxes on a house in Illinois is really high 3 times as high as Missouri...
oh, here is missouri you pay a yearly tax on your atv, boat, boat motor, boat trailer etc....

·
Registered
519 Posts
In Illinois they do not have personel property tax on vehicles, so you see a lot of cars across the river here in Missouriwith Illinois tags. People find some relatives like 3rd cousin from faters 5th cousin who lives in Illinois and claim that as their residence
the personel property taxes on a house in Illinois is really high 3 times as high as Missouri...
oh, here is missouri you pay a yearly tax on your atv, boat, boat motor, boat trailer etc....
A lot of people here in Kansas used to do the same thing with family, friends in Oklahoma to get away from our super expensive personal property tax by getting a P.O box in Oklahoma. But for some time now you have to have a permanent address. So if you were to do that in Oklahoma all your mail would go to that and you would have it escalate to where you would need Oklahoma drivers license, insurance etc.

·
Registered
717 Posts
In South Carolina there is a cap of $500 for sales tax on any single purchase. Where you get hoses is the annual personal property taxes. My 2017 Colorado is about about $500 a year, the wife's 2019 Terrain Denali is $1,100 a year. The good news is that it goes down pretty quick, the 2013 Range Rover Evoque is only $300 and the 1998 Mustang is $25. In South Carolina the tax amount is what pays for the schools and it can be significantly different between counties.

For your primary residence the first $200k is exempt, that just jacks up the mills for the remainder and businesses, plus rental owners really get screwed. I live in a county where it is much cheaper to buy a house than to rent because of the inequity between owner occupied and rental taxes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Texas, with no state income tax, it costs $75.00 to renew my 2017 Colorado registration/tags. There is a 6% sales tax at time of purchase.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dang... 9% sales tax in TN and registration depending on county is 29$ yearly.
That's it. No yearly personal property etc... I could not live in a state that had it.
We also have over 1 billion in the cofers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts