Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll lead off by disclosing I am a huge fan of Tesla and Elon Musk (SpaceX, The Boring Co., Neuralink).
In 2012 I dumped every disposable dollar I had into the stock.
Fast forward nearly 8 years later, Tesla has unveiled their all electric truck, the Cybertruck.
Musk had been teasing that it will be like nothing we have ever seen... and delivered.
It is truly like nothing ever built - a Blade Runner, The Spy Who Loved Me, Mars Rover of a design.

For ~$50k, the spec are a bit unreal:
Dual Motor AWD
0-60: <4.5s
10,000+ Towing
300+mi range

Plus self-driving capability
Autpilot standard
and a network of Superchargers
Oh, it takes a beating with a sledgehammer w.o taking a dent.

Check it:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll lead off by disclosing I am a huge fan of Tesla and Elon Musk (SpaceX, The Boring Co., Neuralink).
In 2012 I dumped every disposable dollar I had into the stock.
Fast forward nearly 8 years later, Tesla has unveiled their all electric truck, the Cybertruck.
Musk had been teasing that it will be like nothing we have ever seen... and delivered.
It is truly like nothing ever built - a Blade Runner, The Spy Who Loved Me, Mars Rover of a design.

For ~$50k, the spec are a bit unreal:
Dual Motor AWD
0-60: 10,000+ Towing
300+mi range

Plus self-driving capability
Autpilot standard
and a network of Superchargers
Oh, it takes a beating with a sledgehammer w.o taking a dent.

Check it:

View attachment 382949
View attachment 382950
View attachment 382951
View attachment 382952
Yeah but windows crack when hit by flying rocks, need to fix that for off roading

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was a large dense ball bearing.
Any other glass that would go right through.
That was their point. The steel is also bullet proof to small arms.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think its like many initial prototypes, way over the top. This is a "lifestyle" vehicle.
TESLA should focus all that material and tech into something a truck person would buy. For the reasons a person buys a truck.
So Elon is a Lotus fan boy, me too. But a pickup truck and a sports car are two worlds apart.
I say no on style, but the tech is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
184 Posts
“For ~$50k, the spec are a bit unreal:
Dual Motor AWD
0-60: <4.5s
10,000+ Towing
300+mi range”

It might be a little bit unreal.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Flimflam fantasist meets Buck Rogers.
The boys at the dude ranch are going kick the sh!t off their boots when they see this cartoon “truck”.
And some say the Ridgeline isn’t a real truck...LOL. On the other hand the zero-60 time is impressive. Good thing that is such an extremely important feature in this urban cowboy truck. The acceleration will be useful when shopping on Rodeo Dr. or Duval Street.
My advise to the OP is better diversify your portfolio!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Wow a vehicle so ugly I would buy a Ridgeline before I would even take a test drive in it...
Dude is way overrated, kinda like his stocks...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The peaked roof seemingly looks like it would make for a horrible interior. I like the tailgate.

300 mile range my ass if you're towing, but it would allow you to bring stuff home from Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Tesla is enjoying great sales success with their Model 3, as that car seems to be a nearly perfect blend of good looks, high tech, stout performance and relative value. Yes, a Model 3 costs more than other sedans, but the total cost of ownership is competitive when fuel and maintenance expenses are factored in over the long term. Tesla sold 63,000 cars globally in the first quarter of 2019, 50,900 were Model 3s. Obviously the 3 is very important to Tesla. I submit that the Model 3 came just in time to save the company.

Speaking of performance, a Model 3 will suck the headlights out of a Hellcat from 0-60. Electric power is instant off the line pin you in your seat power. Here is a video of just that. TFL tends to blab excessively, the actual Hellcat smoking festivities occur at 17 minutes:

No doubt with over 700 hp, the Hellcat would pass the upstart Model 3 in a quarter mile run, but the initial step off and stout roll on acceleration power in a high performance EV is undeniably cool. The 3 also beats that AMG Mercedes by a smaller margin 0-60 also, at 14:30 into the video, that run is awesome as the nerd guy has some driving issues 😆

A truck from Tesla has real potential, as the tech Tesla has is leading edge. No manufacturer does battery design, cooling and fast charging nearly as well as Tesla. I can see EV trucks being a big win for businesses that operate in urban environments that have their fleet vehicles driving in an area. The range afforded by current EVs would be more than adequate for driving around town at work during the day, and then charging overnight while electricity is cheap. There is a potential cost savings for business using EV trucks - that is probably why Ford and the others are scrambling to hop on the EV truck bandwagon.

Elon needs to put down the crack pipe and style the truck in a normal fashion though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Here's part of what Engineering Explained said about it on Facebook:

"Scalene triangles, the framework of any beautiful automotive design. Said probably no designer ever. The first time I saw images I assumed it was a joke. I’m still not convinced this is the actual Tesla truck, but that’s what the internet tells me is true. If the mission is to get traditional truck buyers to switch over to EV, this isn’t it."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tesla is a very polarizing brand, so most have strong opinions.

But looking at it very objectively, the Achilles heal of this thing will be its towing. They quote 300 mile range with standard battery pack and 450 mile range with extra battery pack. They also quote 14,000 lbs towing with standard battery pack and 7,500 lbs with extra battery pack. I question how those numbers will hold up in the real world. If range is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY while towing these loads its practicality will be greatly reduced.

Current gas and diesel engine trucks have significantly reduced ranges as well while towing max loads, but refill times are very quick. Recharging 40 mins (possibly more given these are probably larger battery packs) will hurt practicality.

My bet is that real world performance of these trucks (when used as a truck) will be underwhelming.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They clearly are not going to be used for long distance towing due to the charging time issue. Unless maybe you put a generator on the trailer's tires to recharge the batteries as you tow. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

Can Tesla do this?

Elon bought the 007 Esprit, the submarine version, I believe.
No doubt, influenced the aesthetic direction of design.
Which was not penned by anyone at Lotus, BTW.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Elon Musk is a Con Man, a Phoney that knows how to tap on Gov funding. I have no issues with electric vehicles, private space exploration and the rest. But when a douchebag like this jerk-off is leeching from the Gov titties... I have an issue with that.

My take on his new toy and CGI rendering... Epic Fail !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My advise to the OP is better diversify your portfolio!
Dude is way overrated, kinda like his stocks...
Elon Musk is a Con Man, a Phoney that knows how to tap on Gov funding. I have no issues with electric vehicles, private space exploration and the rest. But when a douchebag like this jerk-off is leeching from the Gov titties... I have an issue with that.

My take on his new toy and CGI rendering... Epic Fail !
😂

Yes of course. There is no ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).
The Model S and X have hospital grade HEPA filters built in that can withstand biological weapons... also, more practically, smelly odors.
So yes they're seal to an extent, and don't have to worry about water in the air intake.

Tesla is a very polarizing brand, so most have strong opinions.

But looking at it very objectively, the Achilles heal of this thing will be its towing. They quote 300 mile range with standard battery pack and 450 mile range with extra battery pack. They also quote 14,000 lbs towing with standard battery pack and 7,500 lbs with extra battery pack. I question how those numbers will hold up in the real world. If range is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY while towing these loads its practicality will be greatly reduced.

Current gas and diesel engine trucks have significantly reduced ranges as well while towing max loads, but refill times are very quick. Recharging 40 mins (possibly more given these are probably larger battery packs) will hurt practicality.

My bet is that real world performance of these trucks (when used as a truck) will be underwhelming.
They clearly are not going to be used for long distance towing due to the charging time issue. Unless maybe you put a generator on the trailer's tires to recharge the batteries as you tow. :giggle:

Don't forget they are developing a semi that can haul a GVW of 80,000 lbs. (DOT Max for standard dimension) 500+ miles, which is about the max a driver can run on a 14 hour HOS clock.

I am not defending the truck here. Agreed it is not for everyone. Musk said that himself.
But you can not deny Tesla, their technological competitive advantages, the need to move to sustainable energy, and the 250,000 preorders they have secured for this thing in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First off, I think in terms of the design someone furture-gasmed all over the drawing board. This isn't polarizing design, it's a design meant to appeal to a culture that doesn't exist.

Secondly, in terms of it's capability, it's too niche.They've mostly forgotten one very important characteristic that all pickup trucks should have, a sense of utility to it. I just don't feel comfortable throwing 20 bags of mulch or a 2 piece couch in the back of this thing. Even if it's a mid-size you've got to be able to put the thing to work. The powertrain might have the capability to do a lot, but that body I feel like hamstrings everything else the truck could be outfitted to do. You could argue that it's meant to be a "lifestyle truck" but you're pretty much limited to the lifestyles presented in those promo photos. I for example have a 15ft kayak, my Colorado carries it just fine with addition of a clamp-on roof rack. This on the other hand would need a custom designed solution to pull the same feat which would likely be more expensive and more cost prohibitive on top of 39,000 starting price tag.

I strongly prefer the design of the design of the Rivian. The headlights could use some work but the overall design is a lot more well rounded

1 - 20 of 128 Posts