Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a truck tent in the Canyon/Colorado with a sports bar? I am trying to figure out a way to camp without sleeping on the floor and a truck tent seems like the cheapest way to get the wife to agree to go camping more often. Problem is most tents look like they would interfere with the bar. Is the bar easy to remove? Could I take it off in a few minutes just for camping trips?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just got the Napier Sports 57 series, https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/catalogue/details/1/1/product_id:19/ . It's a bit expensive with respect to tents, but I have to say... It's awesome! I put it on a 2016 Z71 Trail Boss and the sports bar was fine. There was one spot in the back that caused the tent no not stand up perfectly straight, bot not in a significant way. It's very tall and too; I was really amazed at the amount of room in it, given I was using it on a short bed (5'). I also got an AirBedz air mattress with it, designed to fit over the wheel wells. The two together, while a pricey package, make a perfect combination for truck camping. A slight word of caution though, it is on of the more complicated tents I've ever set up so I'd recommend to do it in least once in the driveway in daylight before you go. I'm actually going to use it tonight with my son and I. I'll try to get a picture of it setup tomorrow morning before I take it down and post it.

·
Vendor
630 Posts
My problem with those tents is that the bed would need to be cleared out before pitching the tent, and if you're going to be leaving camp, you need to tear down the tent before driving which is why i chose to not get a truck bed tent.

If you want to stay off the ground, i'd suggest a cot. Would be the easiest and cheapest way. Otherwise a roof top tent is another option, but you're looking at spending a few hundred for a used tent, more for new.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My problem with those tents is that the bed would need to be cleared out before pitching the tent, and if you're going to be leaving camp, you need to tear down the tent before driving which is why i chose to not get a truck bed tent.

If you want to stay off the ground, i'd suggest a cot. Would be the easiest and cheapest way. Otherwise a roof top tent is another option, but you're looking at spending a few hundred for a used tent, more for new.
I think clearing out the ground (with or without a cot) is essential when you camp. Just a cot in the bed and you will feel the morning dew on your face. If you have to leave in a hurry a pitched tent will be fine if you dont go over 35.
For a couple hundred dollars ( $169 currently) i have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ASYOTZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It takes 5-10 minutes to set up and has proven good quality over two years of use already. Air mattress (or a cot, as suggested) and you can even stand up in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts

True... only way to get out of that situation is to have a trailer with a tent... Anything else is going to be a compromise... But if the OP is not loading the bed, the option suggested by chuckatkins and Pavel my just fit the bill.

I have been looking at those trailers and tents... but man! you are looking at spending a lot of $$ for those setups... trailer alone is 6K plus add, what, another 2K for the tent?... 169.00-269.00 for that Napier truck bed tent sounds like a great deal!

·
Registered
85 Posts
True... only way to get out of that situation is to have a trailer with a tent... Anything else is going to be a compromise... But if the OP is not loading the bed, the option suggested by chuckatkins and Pavel my just fit the bill.

I have been looking at those trailers and tents... but man! you are looking at spending a lot of $$ for those setups... trailer alone is 6K plus add, what, another 2K for the tent?... 169.00-269.00 for that Napier truck bed tent sounds like a great deal!

Just imagine this in green cammo...

·
Vendor
630 Posts
I think clearing out the ground (with or without a cot) is essential when you camp. Just a cot in the bed and you will feel the morning dew on your face. If you have to leave in a hurry a pitched tent will be fine if you dont go over 35.
For a couple hundred dollars ( $169 currently) i have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ASYOTZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It takes 5-10 minutes to set up and has proven good quality over two years of use already. Air mattress (or a cot, as suggested) and you can even stand up in it.
I wasnt suggesting putting a cot in the bed of the truck. I was suggesting putting the cot, in a traditional ground tent to get off the ground.

Yeah, unfortunately thats the truth if OP is set on keeping the sport bar. IMO the sport bar is pretty useless and gets in the way more than it helps, aside from "looking cool".

Its mostly because when camping, you have gear to carry. Tables, tent, bags for cloths, water, chairs, coolers, etc. The list goes on. Having to empty the bed of the truck each time i wanted to pitch a tent and put it all back afterwards just doesnt sound appealing, and why i believe the bed tents arent as popular.

Here's my setup for a trip I went on recently.

·
Vendor
630 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just got the Napier Sports 57 series, https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/catalogue/details/1/1/product_id:19/ . It's a bit expensive with respect to tents, but I have to say... It's awesome! I put it on a 2016 Z71 Trail Boss and the sports bar was fine. There was one spot in the back that caused the tent no not stand up perfectly straight, bot not in a significant way. It's very tall and too; I was really amazed at the amount of room in it, given I was using it on a short bed (5'). I also got an AirBedz air mattress with it, designed to fit over the wheel wells. The two together, while a pricey package, make a perfect combination for truck camping. A slight word of caution though, it is on of the more complicated tents I've ever set up so I'd recommend to do it in least once in the driveway in daylight before you go. I'm actually going to use it tonight with my son and I. I'll try to get a picture of it setup tomorrow morning before I take it down and post it.
I was wondering if the tent would work with the sport bar. Good to know it does :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
does the sports bar end up inside the tent or how does it look mounted?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The tent stays inside the bar but the poles up against the cab go outside and the corner pockets they fit into just peek out from underneath. Given that ties up the truck I'd say it's ideal for road trip or overnight camping but probably not several days in one place type camping. I guess it really depends on your use case.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tent stays inside the bar but the poles up against the cab go outside and the corner pockets they fit into just peek out from underneath. Given that ties up the truck I'd say it's ideal for road trip or overnight camping but probably not several days in one place type camping. I guess it really depends on your use case.
Yeah I just wanted something to use while I work on moving from an apartment to a house. Will be just doing weekend camping if anything just one or two nights so this should work out perfect for me. Once I get my house then I am going to buy a travel trailer instead lol.

Super jealous the your color by the way. I wish the Canyons were made in some type of blue then I would have bought that instead of black :frown2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I just wanted something to use while I work on moving from an apartment to a house. Will be just doing weekend camping if anything just one or two nights so this should work out perfect for me. Once I get my house then I am going to buy a travel trailer instead lol.

Super jealous the your color by the way. I wish the Canyons were made in some type of blue then I would have bought that

·
Registered
10 Posts
The tent stays inside the bar but the poles up against the cab go outside and the corner pockets they fit into just peek out from underneath.
Would you elaborate on how you did this? Are you bending tent rod over the sports bar and then down between the 2 main bars of sports bar?

Are you still able to fit the center black rod that runs the center roof line of the tent?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.