Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got close to closing on a 2018 Silverado double cab, standard bed Z71 LT. The deals are pretty strong - anywhere $8-15K off depending on the truck. Put the upgrade over my 2016 Colorado in the under $10K range.

But the more I thought about it the more I affirmed my decision to get the Colorado in the first place.

Major factors for me:
- size is just right - only time I've ever wanted more room is the occasional time when I want to have somebody in back seat. But it's rare - we have 2 4 door cars and a SUV in the household (daughter drives the SUV but lives at home currently almost done with college).
- fits in garage (suburban fits. double cab, long bed Colo would barely fit but tighten the walk-way)
- For the details - short colo is 212", long one is 224" and Silverado is 230"
- I prefer the bucket seats and console and shifter in the colorado
- I need a 6 foot+ bed, long bed colo has never been an issue in 2.5 years for me
- I prefer the lazer blue color to anything the new Silverado offers. The deep ocean blue and the darker red where the two I was choosing between
- I already have the Colo set up the way I want it with oversized BFGs and a 2" lift, bed-rug and bed cover.

Bottom line didn't see the value in spending an additional $10K for a bit more interior room but essentially the same cargo capacity. Tow rating of V6 colo is adequate for my needs as well. V8 would have been a bonus, but thats a chunk of change - especially once you add in tires, lift or level and bed-rug and bed cover.

So I'm staying the course. 2.5 years and 25K miles in so far. V6 LT 4x4 pretty much fully loaded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually went the other way with my 15' collie (CC / SB)

I wanted the bigger box and the increased towing, plus the 18 Silverado has some items that my 15 doesn't have.

I ended up with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like basically what I was considering. Double cab standard bed.

I would gain some interior space but the bed is essentially same as my truck.

You switched from a crew cab collie ?

What are the pros / cons of the full size on the other side of this move ??

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had a loaner 2018 Sierra Texas edition for a day last week. It was like the gas pedal was fighting against me, the thing felt like a slug. It definitely reassured me that I made the right choice.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You sound like me last year. I was in the mood to trade my 2013 Silverado for a 2017 because of the good deals.

Wife and I started looking around the Chevy lots and noticed the new Colorado. Glad I went with my Laser Blue Z-71. Nice truck...:grin2:

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
We have these discussions frequently, usually at the end of model year when the FS trucks get large discounts that drive their price "close" to that of the mid-size trucks.

I still say if the FS truck meets your needs, go for it. If I had a FS truck, my wife would refuse to drive it. I would hate trying to parallel park it downtown Fort Worth, or park it anywhere. Would never fit in my garage. Some penalty on gas mileage, but I would not say that was a deciding point at all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We have these discussions frequently, usually at the end of model year when the FS trucks get large discounts that drive their price "close" to that of the mid-size trucks.

I still say if the FS truck meets your needs, go for it. If I had a FS truck, my wife would refuse to drive it. I would hate trying to parallel park it downtown Fort Worth, or park it anywhere. Would never fit in my garage. Some penalty on gas mileage, but I would not say that was a deciding point at all.
Wife hated driving my Silverado and the only reason I had it was for business travel at the time. Colorado 'fits' our life style much better and in the garage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been having this same discussion with my wife about trading in our 2016 Crew Cab Z71 for a Silverado. Don't get me wrong, I love my Colorado and it has served me well these almost 2 years, but at this point I am in the need for a bit more room in the back seat since we have 4 kids and even the Crew Silverados with short boxes have more space to put things in the bed. The deals right now are just insane for the 2018's that it's hard not to pull the trigger. I found a all 2018 Crew LT Z71 all black for around $36k brand new. I only have about 23K on my truck and is in pretty good overall shape minus a few small things here and there. If I hadn't bought my wife the 2018 Traverse just a few months ago, I would of jumped on this in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks like basically what I was considering. Double cab standard bed.

I would gain some interior space but the bed is essentially same as my truck.

You switched from a crew cab collie ?

What are the pros / cons of the full size on the other side of this move ??

For me, the short box was just a tad too well... short.
I had the 15 with the 6 speed and oversized tires so my gas mileage will be about the same with the larger truck
we tow a 19" camper and an 18" trailer with our ATVs so this works a little better.
If my 15 collie had Auto 4WD (not avaialbe at the time) and a long box I think I would have kept it.
I thought of getting a long box collie but the fullsize was basically the same price with the current incentives.
And... Damn that Silver Redline looks good.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see for the towing - I've owned 1/2T and 3/4T tow rigs when I regularly was towing race cars.
8.1 Suburban and Nissan Titan were my favorite two.

I don't tow anything other than the occasional car or utility trailer.

And ya with the 265-70 KO2s (same tires I have) and 6 speed V6 I would bet the full size would get just about the exact same mpg.

For me comes down to trading off parking it in the garage vs. having a bit more interior space.
And I could always solve that with the CC-LB Collie, but price would be similar to these new blow out deals on the FS. So for now I'm realizing I don't need the interior space all that much - certainly not enough to shell out $10K and park it in the driveway. That becomes a hassle at my house since my wife and daughter both park in the driveway - wife leaves early morning, doesn't want to disturb the rest of us or the dog who sleeps in garage, so can't easily swap parking locations. And I have 2 other cars that also share garage space.

I need the long bed to fit my musical equipment and also for 10' lumber. Can't go short bed even in the FS. The best deals are on the CC/SB Silverados because there are so many on the lot.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and there are no deals on the 2018 Collies anyway from what I can see. You can get a $48K sticker Silverado for less $ than a $38K sticker Collie! I guess that tells you something right there eh?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang. They are dealing a little bit on the collies. I can get the CCLB LT 4x4 for $34K right now. Satin Steel metallic.

That’s only $6-7K over what mine is worth and gets me the new 8 speed and the interior space yet still can park in garage. And I can transfer all my add ons to this one. Rock sliders, z71 wheels with KO2s, bilsteins, and bedrug liner. Or might leave that with the truck since this one has a spray in liner.

Now I’m really tempted !!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dang. They are dealing a little bit on the collies. I can get the CCLB LT 4x4 for $34K right now. Satin Steel metallic.

That’s only $6-7K over what mine is worth and gets me the new 8 speed and the interior space yet still can park in garage. And I can transfer all my add ons to this one. Rock sliders, z71 wheels with KO2s, bilsteins, and bedrug liner. Or might leave that with the truck since this one has a spray in liner.

Now I’m really tempted !!

Good luck on what you decide to do. Our Colorado's seem to be holding up their value rather nicely as long as you've taken care of it. I like mine, but as I had stated earlier the temptation to move up to the Silverado at these rock bottom prices is tempting since I can use a larger truck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up the 2018 CCLB. Basically the same truck Just a foot longer and a useful backseat. The 8speed adds a lot of refinement vs the 6 too. Very impressed with the new trans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tormented myself between the 1500 crew cab short bed and the canyon crew crew cab long bed. Went with the canyon and it is perfect for me. Its not that much smaller but makes a world of difference in a parking lot. I had to drive a coworkers 1500 from Wichita to OKC and it felt like a sluggish tank which reinforced my own decision. From a size standpoint my only true complaint size is just entry height. Just a tad too tall to step out normal, but the denali step is useless as you have to crouch a lot if you actually use it. I guess I need a lift kit and extension brackets to lower the step, lol.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I actually went the other way with my 15' collie (CC / SB)

I wanted the bigger box and the increased towing, plus the 18 Silverado has some items that my 15 doesn't have.

I ended up with this.
Very nice looking truck. Although, that thing would never fit in my garage. Ha!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya so far I’m very happy with the CCLB. Seems to ride better than the short wheelbase and is nearly as agile and still easy to park. So much better than a full size in my view. Plenty of interior space in the back seats for my needs and the 6’2” bed I knew was already well suited to my needs. Don’t need anything bigger but cannot live with anything smaller either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are still some dealers honoring the 18% off MSRP on the 2018 Silverado's. I have driven two different 2018 Z71 LT Crew Short Box Silverado's this past week, and I do like the power, room, and how the truck feels on the road when compared to my 2016 Colorado Z71. I'm still debating, going back and forth on if I should trade in my 2016, I did get one dealer to sign their purchase agreement that they would pay off my Colorado since I still owe about $26K on it and they would also toss in the spray-in bedliner for the Silverado that has to be done at the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts