Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Z71 Colorado. Today I was giving it a bath and I noticed a small sensor in the front grill down below the bow tie. If anyone can tell me what it is I would appreciate that. I was thinking of putting a light bar down in that area so I want to know what it is. I have looked in my junk from the dealer but nothing is said about the sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
do you have the collision avoidance system?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not think I have a Collision system, but I could be wrong. I get surprised everyday from extras it has.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Temp sensor or wind speed sensor for the active grill shutters?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
That is the outside temp sensor. Lane departure and collusion avoidance work from a video camera mounted on the windshield. I don't think the shutters have a wind sensor. The engine coolant temp and road speed (ABS wheel sensors) are the main inputs for shutter operation calculations. The outside temp sensor input is used for both A/C and heat, and for shutter control. It also gives the possible ice on road warnings. A lightbar in front of the temp sensor will not change the operation of any system that relies on that temp sensor.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Put a piece of ice or a cold rag against it and see if the outside temperature reading in the truck changes.

·
Registered
838 Posts
EPA emissions sniffer.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Somewhere in the annals of these forums we have had this discussion before - and the different aspects of the comments went in pretty much the same direction, except for the EPA emissions sniffer. Granted, not sure how to search for that thread to link these.

I felt like Yogi Berra, it was DEJA VU all over again...

Poor 08Colorado must live in the world of deja vu every day.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That is the residual NO3 detection and avoidance sensor. It should bring up a warning on your DIC that there is a Volkswagen 2.0 TDI equipped vehicle ahead of you and that you are being poisoned by high concentrations of pollution from its engine due to... sneaky software.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Could it be the air bag sensor? I guy I know *cough* (not me of course) meddle with one on his car front end, and set the air bag off. Although it was an 2005, and they might have changed how they do that now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this the temperature sesnor behind the grill?

I was going to order a light bar to put in the space just above the front tag in the grill opening on my Canyon, then I spotted this (pics attached). I figured it might be a sensor for the automatic grill air flaps, made me question putting a long light bar in that opening even though I have seen many folks on the forum do it anyway, can anyone shed some light on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
temperature sensor

·
Registered
692 Posts
Outside temp sensor. Mounted my light in front of it with no trouble.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts